a greeting & a few questions

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

the_long_tenon

a greeting & a few questions

Post by the_long_tenon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:34 am

Hi,

My name is Craig, I'm from South Wales in the UK & I handle lead vocals & rhythm guitar in a band called the long tenon (link in signature 8) ).

I recently splashed out on a shiny new top spec Ipad Air, and after browsing these forums and various reviews, I took the plunge and paid for the full version of Auria. I was pretty shocked to find that my existing PC audio interface (alesis io4) worked more or less out of the box via USB & the camera connector... I'm used to the weird and wonderful world of PC/windows based recording in nuendo / cubase where I'd often spend as much time trying to get things working correctly than I actually would recording anything - I'm sold on the Mac philosophy of things just working and not crashing.

The plan is to use the ipad for live band recordings eventually, but in the short term it will be mainly used to provide a click for our drummer and backing tracks - sampled drum loops, backing vocals and other bits - to augment what we're playing. The Alesis i04 has 4 outputs but I thought it'd be a good idea to have more just in case, so I snapped up an ex-demo presonus 1818vsl at a decent price.

I'm assuming the presonus will work fine without a hub as it's self-powered?

Last night I made a start on merging all the existing backing tracks, splicing them together into one project & mixing down each channel individually for export as wav files.

unfortunately these (x4) wav files are approx. 250MB each, which wouldn't be a problem if I could use removable storage... but uploading them to dropbox on my home ADSL connection took forever, and downloading to the ipad via the import functionality in Auria kept falling over / timing out.

Does anyone have a better way of getting files from PC to Ipad? Or should I be looking at compressing the files I have?

And if you use your Ipad live, how reliable has your Ipad/Auria combination been so far?

ta :D

richardyot
Expert

Re: a greeting & a few questions

Post by richardyot » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:08 am

For transferring files to and from the PC you need to download a free program called iFunbox, this will let you access the file system of the iPad via USB and you can simply drag and drop files in and out of Auria with it.

the_long_tenon

Post by the_long_tenon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:12 am

richardyot wrote:For transferring files to and from the PC you need to download a free program called iFunbox, this will let you access the file system of the iPad via USB and you can simply drag and drop files in and out of Auria with it.
where's the applause smiley?

:)

I'll give that a go as soon as I get home from work - THANK YOU!

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:08 am

the_long_tenon wrote:
Hi Craig, I use the Presonus aswell but unfortunately you will need a powered hub.

Aaron

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:11 am

Presonus is one of the few companies which still hasn't updated their firmware to allow iPad's to connect without a hub. Apogee, Focusrite or RME might be a better fit.

Rim

the_long_tenon

Post by the_long_tenon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:00 am

ajmack302 wrote:
the_long_tenon wrote:
Hi Craig, I use the Presonus aswell but unfortunately you will need a powered hub.

Aaron
Can you recommend a powered hub mate?

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:23 am

I just got a generic 2.0 Powered Hub, about 7 quid on eBay. I don't even have a proper Apple CCK and the only issue I've had is a message popping up saying "This device is not supported", click OK and everything works fine.
Hope this helps.