Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Auria for Inear and FOH live?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Chaosinside777
Expert

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Auria for Inear and FOH live?

Post by Chaosinside777 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi people,

In my current Band project I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with a Laptop ( Dual Core w. 4 Gb RAM, win7 64Bit and Studio One as Sequencer/DAW)
We Play some Kind of " Soundtrack/Pop-Metal",and for lack of a real keyboarder, A Stereo track with the Synthsounds I created with Trilian/Omnisphere and NI as Wave File is working as a Playback as an Addition to our Giuitar /Bass / Drums.

we have 3 different Monitor Mixes and all of US are using IEM (Inear Monitoring) The Focusrite scarlett has a built in Dsp Zero Latency Mixer ( Scarlett Mix Control), which enables us to Mix the Playback Wave file, the Clicktrack (From Laptop) with the Signals of Guitar , Bass, Vocals....

We use very decent Hardware ( AxeFX2 for Guitars, EBS MicroMic 2 for Bass, Mindprint Envoice 2 Channelstrip for Vocals) to make the use of additional EQs, Compressors , etc. unnecessary, to avoid the use of Plugins while playing.

so my question is: is there a way by using auria ( I have the full Version) and the Focusrite Scarlett without the Computer based Scarlett Mix Control Software?

Focusrite Scarlett Mix allows to Save Settings " to the hardware" to use the Unit Standalone, but without the PC-based Scarlett Mix Control it's Not possible, to change Details in our Inear Mixes.

Is anyone here using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 only with Auria without the built in dsp-latency-Free Mixer, just by using Auria as complete Live-Mixing-Recording/Playback-Unit ( which the lowest working latency Settings) and Aurias Output Matrix).....just for curiosity....

I really would like to use the Auria/IPad/Focusrite Setup without the Need of an additional Laptop...
Just to be able to create or change the monitor Settings by the fly...to play Back the Synth Track and the Clicktrack, including 3 different Monitormixes.

at the Moment we use 13 Track in our projects ( 6 Tracks for Drums, 2Tracks for guitar, 1 for Bass, 1for Vocals, 2 Channels For the DAW-Playback-Synth and 1 Track for the Clicktrack.....in 24 Bit 48 khz.

What do you think could be the Minimum latency at it's best, by Running Those 13 Tracks including 3different Monitor Mixes?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Andy From Austria (No Kangaroohs ! :-)

acaonweb
Expert

Re: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Auria for Inear and FOH liv

Post by acaonweb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:20 am

Well I've the 18i8 and i'm using it for recording/mixing and live.
I've created an inital configuration using PC Scarlett Mixcontrol (there is a firmware error but i've found a workaround) and i've choose for latency DAW Tracking.

Now i can record up to 8 tracks at time.
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:31 am

I've been asking for an iPad version of MixControl - even "stripped down" - that will allow saving to hardware (and saving preset files from hardware)...but I get the same "form letter" response from Focusrite. Unfortunately, Katherine Kaplan appears to have been given the same "script" to reply here on this forum...so I'm guessing that an iPad version will never be released.

A real shame...such a great idea, which would most likely increase revenues for Focusrite. Whatever...I'm done asking (here and directly to Focusrite)......but as long as this remains vaporware I will not buy another Focusrite product. It's bad enough they never added new presets (e.g., car stereo simulation) to the VRM Box...a number of us had requested this numerous times. (Appears they abandoned this baby....)

If I sound bitter, it's simply because I am. Sorry...perhaps I've become a wéè bit spoiled by Rim. :lol:

Mike

Chaosinside777
Expert

Post by Chaosinside777 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 pm

[quote="acaonweb"]Well I've the 18i8 and i'm using it for recording/mixing and live.
I've created an inital configuration using PC Scarlett Mixcontrol (there is a firmware error but i've found a workaround) and i've choose for latency DAW Tracking.

Now i can record up to 8 tracks at time.[/

Do you use different Monitor Mixes? Do you use Fx like EQs, Comps, etc. And how much latency do you get with your system? Soooo many questions, so Little time..

At the Moment I'm managing the Monitoring with the Scarlett Mixcontrol on my Laptop, but it would be cool, if it's possible to handle it with the Scarlett 18i20 and my ipad4 and get rid of my Laptop in live situations....

Joepno

Post by Joepno » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi,

I guess I'm looking for a similar setup: I would like to record live all tracks in Auria with an iPad 4. Can I use my Focusrite 18i20 as the monitoring system for 4 different monitor mixes? Can I prepare these headphone mixes using mix control on the notebook, then store the mixes, unplug the notebook and plug in the iPad for the recording? Or do I need a (powered) Usb hub for connecting the notebook and the iPad with the 18i20 at the same time?

tx
joepno

Chaosinside777
Expert

Post by Chaosinside777 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi joepno,

With my Focusrite I'm using 3 different and independent Stereo-AuxMixes plus One Stereo Bus. If you " Save to Hardware" by using Scarlett Mix on your Laptop or PC, you can easily use all of the 8 analogue Inputs From the 18i20.

with an IPad 4 you can use the whole Mixing Engine including Compressors, EQs from Auria, but there are just 2 Stereo Aux Busses From Auria, so you should use Scarlett Mix for your Aux-Management.

The Main reason, why I still use my Laptop with the 18i20 is, That, Even if You Save to Hardware, nonetheless the 18i20 seems to "forget" the spdif sync Status, as soon as you Plug it into your IPad. All of the Focusrites analogue Preamps are in use for other Signals, and if i connect my Axefx 2 via spdif, I get terrible Noise and Crackles, caused by the "No-Sync".
Never had the Chance to experience, if this Problem is up with the Adats, too, but if the 8 analogue Preamps are enough for your project, it will work out Fine.

Joepno

Post by Joepno » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:15 am

Thank you, Chaosinside777.

Can I connect the Ipad and the Laptop to the 18i20 simultaneously by using a USB hub and does it have to be powered?
( I don't have a hub so I can't try it out).

And does the Laptop go into the Hub and is 18i20 and Ipad connected to the outputs of the hub. Or should the 18i20 go into the input of the Hub?

tx again.

Chaosinside777
Expert

Post by Chaosinside777 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:15 pm

No, I'm sure, this won't work.
Connecting the 18i20 with IPad directly without an USB hub Works flawlessly. But I don't know a stabile and working scenario, where you can power your IPad and have the 18i20 working at the same time.

Joepno

Post by Joepno » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:31 pm

You said you are using 3 different Inear Mixes. Do you have to switch between Ipad and Laptop in order to adjust the mix in mix control quite often? Or do you have an optimal mix which you hardly ever have to adjust?

And another question: do you use headphone preamps between the 18i20 and the Inears or is the output levels of the 18i20 loud enough?

Chaosinside777
Expert

Post by Chaosinside777 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:44 pm

The individual Inear Mixes were Set in a bunch of rehearsals, so in the Last rehearsals we didn't change anything in Scarlett Mix. when you have reached this point, you can Save your Mixes to Hardware and just have to use the right Outputs for each Inear Channel.

our drummer is using One Focusrite Headphone Out with an AKGK 271 Headphone. It's loud enough. The other 2 Inear Channels go stereo directly into a Sennheiser IEM300 G3 Wireless and a LD Systems MEI100 g2 Wireless Receiver.

My One and only Problem is, that it's Not possible yet to sync the digital out (spdif) from my axefx 2 Guitar Preamp with the Focusrite 18i20, when Im using the iPad. The sync I saved to the Hardware get's lost, of I Plug in the Focusrite...

I didnt get ANY helping answer from Focusrite yet...so, I don't think, they care about this Problem. Even though I'm Not the only one with this problem, the smaller Scarletts also lose digital sync when connecting to iPad....

Joepno

Post by Joepno » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:06 am

So I will get me a AKG K 271 Mk II.
I have an AKG K 270 with 75 ohm. This works at the front panel headphone outs of the 18i20 okayish but I prefer to have a bit more headroom. Does not work well with the rear outputs, though.

Chaosinside777
Expert

Post by Chaosinside777 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:34 pm

The rear Outputs are not intended to be Headphone Outs, Those are line Outs. I would suggest a Headphone Preamp. so You will have enough power for any Type of Headphone ....

Gabcac

Post by Gabcac » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Andy,

I have a similar setup and this how I proceed.
Let's say, there are 2 peoples using stereo IEM, and want to assign them on:
- User 1: output 7/8
- User 2: output 9/10
- Master (FoH): output 1/2
First, I configure the Focusrite 18i20 on my PC using the routing preset "Daw Tracking", then I configure the output as below:
- Daw1 => Monitor output 1
- Daw2 => Monitor output 2
- Daw3 => Line output 7
- Daw4 => Line output 8
- Daw5 => Line output 9
- Daw5 => LIne output 10
Then, I "save to hardware" the config.

I connect the Scarlett 18i20 to the iPad, and here, I use 3 app:
- Audiobus for the routing
- iMix16 Band for the backing track/click (really usefull tool for live band)
- Auria

I launch 2 "input" instances for iMix16 Band: on for the group 1/16, and one for the group 17/32.
Finally one "output" instance for Auria.
For iMix16 Band, this allow to create to virtual sources for Auria: group 1/16 for samples and groupe 17/32 for click.

In Auria, on the output matrix, I route one subgroup to the output 3/4 (for user 1) and one other subgroup for to the output 5/6 (for user 2). In facts, Auria consider the output number wou specify in the "Daw" assignement befaore saving to hardware. Even if Daw 3/4 are connected to output 7/8, on Auria perspective, the ouput are 3/4.

Then I create as much as track I need and route them to subrgoup 1 or 2, manage the level and the pan for each (I dont use the aux). So basically, there are several time the same track, but routed to different subgroup.

Added to this, I use personally a Kemper Amp and this one is conencted to the Scarlett 18i20 in SPDIF, works like a charm !

Then, when I want to go live for rehersal or gig, I do the following:
- Be sure to have the good hardware config on the Scarlett 18i20.
- Connect all the inputs/ouputs to the Scarlett 18i20
- Connect the iPad to the Scarlett 18i20
- Power on the Scarlett 18i20
- Launch Audiobus and recall my preset with iMix16 band and Auria
- Lunch first iMix16 Band, then Auria
- Ready :)

No latency, Cpu around 2/5%.
This permit to have a local routing whatever stage you play, I have in my ear guitars, click, samples, kick drum, and can adjust it easily for every member in case of.

hymnotix

Post by hymnotix » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:15 am

Gabcac wrote:Hi Andy,

I have a similar setup and this how I proceed. [...] .
This is brilliant. Gabcac, would you be so kind as to share the Auria project and the Audiobus preset here? Would be helpful just for others to see how it is done. Thanks!