FaderPort and NanoKontrol 2: NoGo with iPad 4 (128GB)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

MikeDee
Expert

FaderPort and NanoKontrol 2: NoGo with iPad 4 (128GB)

Post by MikeDee » Mon May 26, 2014 12:26 pm

So I brought my iPad 4 to Guitar Center. Hooked up a Korg NanoKontrol 2 (using Apple's short USB-to-Lightning cable, which is very reliable)...followed some of the users' directions on this Forum, e.g....

MIDI Settings: Mackie HUI, MMC Device 1, Remote Send/Receive......nuthin'.
Tried Mackie MCU, then MMC Device Ø [then 2-8], plus other modes........nuthin'.

Next...Presonus FaderPort. Hooked it up...got a "not enough power" message. Ok...added FP's 9V AC adapter (included)...restarted Auria...connected FaderPort......still got the "not enough power" message.

Do I need to use a powered hub, even when using FP's 9V AC adapter?

@Anthony Alves and Rim: I understand you have had much success with the FaderPort. What am I doing wrong? Or...what am I NOT doing that needs to be done?? I realize there's not much for me to ask about the NanoKontrol 2, as Rim has not [yet] tested it with Auria.

Thanks very much for your assistance. Glad I have time to hold off making a purchase (if any).

Best regards,

Mike

Rim
Site Admin

Re: FaderPort and NanoKontrol 2: NoGo with iPad 4 (128GB)

Post by Rim » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 pm

The Faderport (and it seems all Presonus interfaces) will need a powered USB hub in addition to whatever power the device needs.

Rim

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Mon May 26, 2014 9:56 pm

Ok, Rim, thank you. I'll be sure to bring my powered hub with me next time...I'm sure the FaderPort will work fine.

I do kinda wish that the NanoKontrol 2 would work as well. Although not as accurate as the FP, its multiple faders and small footprint would be a better fit for my live setup. Héh, maybe it'll work with the powered hub as well...remaining hopeful. :roll:

Best regards,

Mike

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 am

That's right. The FaderPort does need to be connected to a powererd usb hub in order to work. The 9v power supply that comes with the FaderPort is to move the motorized fader but that function does not work with Auria just desktop daws. Once you have your FaderPort hooked up choose the SEND REMOTE in Auria's midi settings for the faderPort and the FaderPort should now be active to control volume/mute/solo/rec-ready/record/rewind/fast-foward/stop/mixer page/editor page/pan/channel bank left&right. The only automatable function on the faderport within Auria is volume. Cheers and good luck.

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Tue May 27, 2014 5:36 am

The nanokonterol 2 works just follow the steps in the link

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11526

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Tue May 27, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks for the replies, Gúyz! :) I'll be heading back to GC tonight to have another go at it, this time with my powered USB hub.

With regard to the NanoKontrol 2, I had forgotten about pressing Set and Play while plugging in the USB (since my NanoKontrol 1 has no Set button, only a Scene button, which didn't help). I'm confident that it'll work tonight...same for the FP. Then I'll make a decision as to which is the better fit.

@Anthony, so glad to see you back in action...hope you're doing very well! :D

Best regards,

Mike

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am

ØK...went back to Guitar Center last night. Tried the NanoKontrol 2 again, using ALL of djjuniorpops' eXcellent instructions...and it worked like a chámp! Didn't even have to retry the FaderPort...the NK2 is a perfect fit for my live workflow.

@djjuniorpops: I went through NK2's rather slim manual...did not see any mention of pressing Set and Play...no mention of iOS. Pressing Set and Cycle was mentioned (for connecting with desktop DAWs), but that was it. How did you discover or learn about pressing Set and Play to work with Auria? This was indéèd a gr8 find!! :D

····· EDIT: I managed to find the SET configs under each DAW...turns out that Set and Play is used for ProTools as well.

@Anthony: I still might pick up the FaderPort in the not-tøø-distant future. Just wondering, though...I use an Alesis Q88 and a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, both USB 2 devices, connected to a powered 4A USB 2 hub...will the FaderPort, being a USB 1.1 device, cause issues as the bus is defaulted to USB 1.1 speed? (No issues with NK2 connected to the hub...I believe it's USB 2.)

Thanks again!!! :D

Best regards,

Mike

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Thu May 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Mike I had the same issues when I purchase my NanoKantrol2, I then decided to try all the DAW settings until I was able to get on work. And your right ,there is no mention of this in the booklet even thought Korg says it works with the iPAD.
Glad you get it working.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 pm

So glad your up and running. Yes the usb 1.0 on the FaderPort will eventually be it's death as a controler. Currently I do experience problems with some of my heavy synth apps. They will start to grunt and groan and almost play on their own when my FaderPort is plugged in so I have to remove it. But the funny thing is if the synth is used as an IAA plugin, everything works and sounds good with the FaderPort plugged in. So for now it still works and looks and feels cool. I really like the 100mm Alpes Fader. If I close my ears I can imagine I have an SSL under my finger. Lol.
Cheers ~~_/)~~~*