Overloud THM

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Overloud THM

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:37 am

Hello everyone, I honestly don't know why I am so late to the party here. I've been a longtime user of Auria and most music apps in general. Back in 2012 I was signed to Down Boys Records (Jerry Dixon/Erik Turner of the band Warrant) and released my album "Afterthoughts" which was recorded and produced on an iPad and iPod touch. I'm a guitarist first and foremost...but I play various instruments and compose in many different genres. For years, I worked for Positive Grid in helping them develop their amazing app, JamUp. As a "tone-junkie"....I'm always on the prowl for the best sounds achievable...especially on iOS devices. Recently I've been using Overloud THM and have been getting some amazing results...both using my real-world Orange amp and stomp boxes paired with cabs/mics/effects in THM. There are so many cool tricks I have been able to implement in my recording with this plugin that the guys from Overloud have asked that I do some video documentary while in the process of recording my next album...and I fully intend to do so. So, from time to time, I will post some here to try and give some pointers, set up signal chains, simultaneously recording various amps/effects across several tracks, etc.... I don't claim to know it all...but the results I'm getting work very well for me and hope they can help you guys out too. Anyhow, ROCK ON! Any questions are welcome and I will try to get them answered when I can. Here's a short clip (sloppy but effective...lol) https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... dBrLkeVLYk
I'm just a shy guy with a big pick...

Jus
Expert

Re: Overloud THM

Post by Jus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:40 am

That's great I really rate and love Overloud in Auria especially using the 480ad reverb and the PSP delay 8)

Please keep us updated

The clip sounds good 8)

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:48 am

The reverb is to die for!! It's so easy for me to set up a good chain...it would take HOURS to do in a studio...and I can alter it in seconds if something isn't sounding right...getting ready to start laying tracks for the album next week...so I think I might try and do a long boring tech/setup vid tomorrow....

mtclearwave

Post by mtclearwave » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Derek - great! Very interested in seeing your next in depth video!!!

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Yep Overloud has by far the best reverb in the Guitar app world 8)

Looking forward to next vid :D

leedgitar

Post by leedgitar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Hey Derek. The video you made about using cab impulses in Overloud THM was a game changer for me. I bought Overloud THM immediately and changed my workflow entirely after that (namely, Audiobus hasn't got much use since).

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about your signal chain, and more tips and tricks to get the best possible sounds of an amp sim. The tones I was getting at first were a little harsh so I ended up having to finesse it with some EQ (notching out frequencies where "whistling" sounds were sitting, etc).

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 pm

@leedgitar awesome...glad that worked out for you. The initial presets that come with the app are pretty good...but once you start manipulating the amps and effects does it really start to shine. Yes...things can get out of control fast with these things....at some point or another, we need to stop being the guy who has "all knobs to the right" hahaha!! I've got a pretty good balance and achieve some pretty heavy tones with minimal gain settings. (I am an 80's metal enthusiast). I'll try and get a preliminary video out this week and add to the pile every chance I get. This is BY FAR the best sounding app/plugin and most versatile/useable for recording I've found...just takes a little tweaking to get things going...but well worth the effort...hopefully I can shed some light on some things for you and take some of the guess work out...or give some fresh ideas. Battery is about to die....back soon!

leedgitar

Post by leedgitar » Thu May 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Ha! That was my problem back when I first started recording. I laid down a few tracks and wondered after the fact why they sounded so "muddy" when all played together. That's when I learned that when recording for a mix, turning everything to "11" was no longer ideal (among many other things) :) I had been mostly a "plug in and jam bedroom guitar player" up until then, so it took some mental re-calibrating on my part, but I'm getting there and learning a lot along the way. Like yourself, I'm big into metal (from the 80's all the way up until the present), so I'm focused on getting a big heavy sound, yet with clarity and separation at the same time. Dare I say that as my ideal reference mix, I use Metallica's "Black Album". I have absolutely no delusions that I can get anywhere close in any foreseeable amount of time (or even in my lifetime!), but at the same time I feel that it will keep me pushing myself to figure out what I can do to make things better over the course of time and not just eventually settle with something that sounds just "ok".

Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day where I could record a track, then be laying there in bed later that night on a mobile device tweaking my tones literally down to the mic brand, distance from the cap, etc. It's unreal, and sometimes overwhelming at the same time to finally decide on something :)

So I hadn't actually tried this yet, but I'm guessing you could record enable 2 tracks at the same time and have a different THM preset/IR in Convolution Reverb/panning on each track and record simultaneously. I've read differing opinions on double tracking techniques, but do you think that would pass for a good double tracking setup, or do you feel they should still be 2 separate takes? To make it even more interesting, I was thinking of what to do for simulating multiple mic setups. You could record 2 tracks at once (or record one track and copy/paste after the fact) both panned to the same side, but with different mic setups and blended together in the mix to simulate recording a track with multiple mics. I know on the PC/Mac, some IR plugins allow having multiple IRs for a single track to create a combined sound, but in Auria it seems like the closest thing would be using multiple tracks for each mic. I'd prefer to keep things simple and just use 1 mic per track, but I'm just thinking of what to experiment with for fun.

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Thu May 01, 2014 10:14 pm

@leedgitar just started shooting a video today on a simple recording process. Rhythm guitar...2 tracks enabled with one panned left...one right. Different amp and cab/mic and EQ on each track. Record simultaneously. I go a little more in depth on the setup...it's fairly simple...just need to know what works...and how to set it up. Once you've got that part down...you can start tweaking it to your own taste...Overloud THM is the only plugin or amp sim that I know of that you can do this with on iPad. I actually have 3 instances of Overloud running at the same time for just a single rhythm track. Hopefully I can finish up the video tomorrow or early this weekend....broke a string in the middle of things today and just hung everything up for the day...probably a good thing...played the same solo like 70 times in a row trying different variations and my fingers are raising hell with me :)

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Fri May 02, 2014 1:41 am

*packs guitar away and shuffles off*
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

leedgitar

Post by leedgitar » Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 am

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to seeing that one.

Running multiple instances of Overloud is what I love the most about it. I'd love to see a Bias plugin someday since I think you can bypass the cab. I'm sure I'll still have the occasional case for re-amping a track in another app (like for the Acoustic sim pedal in AmpKit), but otherwise this is the best imaginable workflow that won't piss off the neighbors :D

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Wasn't able to finish the vid today...but here's a. Cool little lesson if anyone is interested... Even though the amp is in the background...I'm playing through my iPad with Overloud THM...lol. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYMtZ1qZk0

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Sat May 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Here's another jam from yesterday...more 80's style metal (go figure...) this time with Dead Horse OD into my Orange...Into THM running cabs, mics, and effects... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6sfgvWdFfrk

DerekBuddemeyer
Expert

Post by DerekBuddemeyer » Mon May 12, 2014 5:59 am

Delay of Game...so to speak. Please watch...it's important. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro2W9IPF-Nc&sns=em

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:12 am

Wow, I'm glad you are alive. Get well soon and be careful.