Few simple questions

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mattam

Few simple questions

Post by Mattam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:23 am

Hello from France.
Sorry for English Google.

I do not understand some things and I'm about to find the answer here.

When I work for long session on auria, instruments and host IAA effects drop out very often. (Especially bias and jamup). We must close an recall via the master strip. (Bias is integrated only if it is opened before).
Is there a setting to do to avoid this? (Buffer size ?)

I did not understand what was used "side chain" (on FabFilter plugs for example) I saw that you could associate or assign all other tracks in the project but have not heard the difference. :(

I have not understood even by reading the user manual however used the option "DC offset" (I suck in English ...)

Beginner questions I know ... It happens all the right?

Long life for auria,
and all

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Few simple questions

Post by dominicperry » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 am

1) IAA Audio - someone else will have to help you, I don't use IAA

2) Side chain. This is when you use the input from a different track to change the way a plug-in works.
For example. Track 1 is Guitar. Track 2 is Bass Drum.
Put a compressor plug-in on on Track 1. Now set the side-chain on the compressor to Track 2.
When the Bass Drum hits, it will cause the Guitar to compress.
This is useful for making certain tracks stand out. In this case, the Bass Drum is the most important thing, so the guitar gets quieter when the Bass Drum hits.
This is also used a lot wih vocals. You put the compressor on the Guitar or Keyboard or a Bus, and side-chain the vocal channel. Now, every time the singer sings, the guitar or keyboard gets quieter, so the singer isn't drowned out.

3) DC offset is a specific problem created by certain (faulty) kinds of equipment, usually outboard mics pres. It can happen for a number of reasons. It causes a problem which you will not usually hear when listening to a solo track, but can be seen on a waveform.
If you solo the track, it sounds ok. But when it's mixed with other things, it sounds odd. DC offset can also damage amps and speakers.
If you turn 'correct DC offset' on, and there is no problem with the original track or mix, you won't hear any difference. But you won't do any harm either.

Dominic

Mattam

Re: Few simple questions

Post by Mattam » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:10 pm

great ! thank you for the complete and clear answer. I understand everything. sorry for my late reply, my intenet is defective. very interesting this function side chain.
My previous tool was August 8 track tapes, I jump with happiness from prehistory to the XXI century!