Storage Solutions for iPad with Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

harpman
Expert

Storage Solutions for iPad with Auria

Post by harpman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:41 am

Recently did a 12-channel recording with Auria for 2-hours. It consumed 14G out of 14.8 available. If I run out of storage, everything will come to a crashing halt. This is currently a bug in the "Export to Dropbox" feature that is being worked on by development, however that isn't a viable option anyway considering the time it would take to upload 14G to the cloud. Buying a new iPad Air with 64 or 128GB would be another option but not viable either. Does Auria have a way to push the project to a storage device. Obviously I can bring a laptop to my gig, and download the project via iTunes and delete the project once downloaded, but then again that's one extra piece of equipment I have to lug around. Any ideas? One other idea would be to connect an SD card connection kit and export the project from Auria to the SD card. That would be a solution, however, there is no option in Auria to "Export to SD Card".
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Sound Engineer / Harmonica
Stefani Entertainment

Washboy
Expert

Re: Storage Solutions for iPad with Auria

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:27 pm

harpman wrote:...however, there is no option in Auria to "Export to SD Card"...
That's because there is no option in iOS to write to an SD card (or external storage in general). It's Apple's design decision. Jailbroken iDevices may be able to do so but Auria assumes a non-jailbroken platform.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 pm

That's right, Apple doesn't have a way for developers to access SD cards. WebDAV and FTP are on my list to look into in some future version though.

Rim

bash

Post by bash » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Agree, Apple's continued choice to lock up the iPad is a dealbreaker for some. Even a simple wifi storage option would be nice but I'm guessing the push to get folks to adopt cloud storage is at the bottom of Apple's refusal to make simple external file exchange a reality (that and protecting its virus/hack safety rep). Serious applications like Auria get cut off at the knees by the limitation.

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Rim wrote:That's right, Apple doesn't have a way for developers to access SD cards. WebDAV and FTP are on my list to look into in some future version though.

Rim
Rim,

Glad your looking into the other two solutions. I won't be purchasing an iPad Air 128GB anytime soon. I will just have to lug my laptop to the gigs and copy the project files off at breaks if time permits.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Sound Engineer / Harmonica
Stefani Entertainment

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:13 pm

I have jailbroken my iPad on the grounds that I only use it for music and if it is less reliable jailbroken, I can un-jailbreak it very easily. The only thing I've installed is iFile, which is not very reliable itself, but having on the iPad doesn't seem to ake anything else more flaky.
I used Evasion to jailbreak, and you can only go to iOS 7.0.6 - if you're already on 7.1 it's not an option.

By having it jailbroken, I believe there's the option to use wireless disks, but I haven't tried.

Dominic

OldSynthGuy

Post by OldSynthGuy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Whoa now...I bought a Sandisk 64GB wireless USB drive for $79 at MicroCenter to solve the storage problem. Load it from your desktop or your iPad via Audioshare, iFun or through their app. It even has the "open in" function that shows you where you can send a file or get a file. Works like a champ for me. Even auditions samples/loops/stems. I was amazed that something really did work this well with iOS audio.

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:57 pm

Can you share how this fits into your workflow with Auria?

CE3
Expert

Post by CE3 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:37 am

+1
I'm curious about the workflow too.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:46 am

I bought Airstash just before I hopped a plane travelling so haven't had a chance to mess with it other than to get photos to DL wirelessly to my iPad for editing in Lightroom. But when I get home I plan to use it as a portable storage system to transfer projects to SD. I have iFun loaded but to date have been using DiskAid to access the files on my IOS devices and that works perfectly. Will report back my findings as they happen.

Cheers,
na
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:15 pm

OldSynthGuy wrote:Whoa now...I bought a Sandisk 64GB wireless USB drive for $79 at MicroCenter to solve the storage problem. Load it from your desktop or your iPad via Audioshare, iFun or through their app. It even has the "open in" function that shows you where you can send a file or get a file. Works like a champ for me. Even auditions samples/loops/stems. I was amazed that something really did work this well with iOS audio.
@OldSynthGuy
I went to the Sandisk website and watched a video of file transfers between iOS devices and the USB drive. The video only shows picture files being moved. On average, how long does it take to move Auria projects (16-24 tracks) back and forth?

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Based on this thread, I grabbed a Sandisk Connect 32gb from Best Buy, on sale for $49.99. It works as advertised, subject to the limitations imposed by Apple. I agree, Audioshare works great. I'm still exploring with Auria. Wish Auria could access it directly for full backups, etc. Any ideas?

CE3
Expert

Post by CE3 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:53 pm

I picked up a drive as well.

Can I archive my projects on this drive, remove them from the iPad, and then load them back into the iPad when I need to work on them?

I had to completely reinstall Auria not too long ago (because I accidentally deleted the IR files), so I saved a project on my desktop, but I wasn't able to get it back into Auria via iTunes.

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB works perfect with AudioShare /Auria, and also acts as a router to share a local wifi connection (drive itself is wifi with rechargeable battery). 1TB should suffice... For now, anyway!! Hahahah!!

OldSynthGuy

Post by OldSynthGuy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Personally, for my money, iTunes should be listed as profanity when dealing with non-consumer driven (playback only) material. iFunBox is the way to go to get your files out of and in to your iDevice from a desktop. Or the SanDisk.

I use the Sandisk to load up items that live in a "real" computer, usually loops, audio clips, things that have been roughly approved for a project. I keep the SanDisk handy and send things to Auria that I need, even alternate takes that might not be on the iPad, or that I pulled from the iPad for storage or housekeeping reasons. I meet with a client or someone else in the production food chain and they say "Where's that out of tune Oberheim thing you played for me?" (which had been roundly vetoed earlier). Well everything ever done for that particular project, good bad and ugly, is on the hard drive if not the iPad. It is invaluable that way. Plus exported wav files from Auria can be sent to the Sandisk, or dropboxed and grabbed later. It appears as a standard "open in" device. Pick a file, and then pick where you want to send it, be that an audio editor, processor, DropBox or the SanDisk.