Storage Solutions for iPad with Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Storage Solutions for iPad with Auria

Post by dominicperry » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:38 pm

There still seems to be a failure to realise that some people want to use the iPad without using their computer. The ability to take your iPad anywhere and do music and back it up to a disk or USB stick, not needing your own desktop or laptop nearby, or WiFi with massive bandwidth for uploading to Dropbox.

Also handy, is the ability to drop into a studio with your iPad and get stuff off the iPad without proprietary software - MT DAW has a web server built in, so you just need to sign on to their WiFi, and then any studio computer can fire up a browser and download the stems or mixes from your iPad without trouble.

Dominic

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:52 pm

being able to carry around a bunch of SD cards and an ipad would be rather useful. Hope Apple can find a way to let this happen.

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 pm

OldSynthGuy,

I fully agree and have also been using my SanDisk in the same manner. It's much faster and more efficient than Dropbox. Thanks for the tip.

thelip

Post by thelip » Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 am

I've been continuing to tinker on this topic and i have a convoluted solution figured out.

I picked up a raspberry pi over the weekend and the default raspbian install has basically everything you need: primarily libimobiledevice. With the seagate goflex and the raspberry pi, i can browse the file structure of the ipad on the ipad via rdp/vnc (to the raspberry pi) to copy auria projects folders back and forth. There was a little tinkering involved with networking and I know it's probably no better than just having a mac nearby. It is cool though to have the entire set up battery powered and super small & modular.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 19, 2014 9:08 am

Interesting... Like having iFunBox in an embedded solution. Sounds great!

Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Mon May 19, 2014 11:54 am

A variation on the rdp/vnc, I put an older Mac mini on my network with a nas attached. Using the Remoter VNC app I can run my SFX/music library search tools, audition files listening through soundflower and then transfer my desired cue to a local dropbox folder from the iPad. As fast as the upload takes, I can then, using the DB download tool in Auria, get the file into my session. The audition audio isn't always fantastic, depending on network speeds, but it allows me to have access to many gigabytes of data remotely and also have a way to search metadata that is embedded in my audio files. One side benefit is I can load up OMF projects from clients inside Nuendo on the remote mac and convert to aaf for delivery to Auria without being physically at my studio.

I like the SanDisk solution for working locally and will pick up one soon.

Best,
Phil

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 pm

This looks promising. Expensive, though.

http://www.thenerdmag.com/istick-usb-fl ... hone-ipad/

psysword
Expert

Post by psysword » Tue May 20, 2014 7:53 am

I am just using soundcloud through Audioshare to get the work out. But the problem is even if I delete the project, Auria still shows the memory as used on my IPad....I mean even though I have 0 projects except for "The Approach", Auria is showing up as 3 GB on the Ipad usage. I really can't afford that on my 16 GB Ipad AIr. Otherwise its working like a champ and making electronic music a gift from the Aural Gods to me. Thank you AURIA!
Thanks a lot guys in advance.

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Any plans to allow iCloud Drive for backup?

thinds
Expert

Post by thinds » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:10 pm

psysword wrote:I am just using soundcloud through Audioshare to get the work out. But the problem is even if I delete the project, Auria still shows the memory as used on my IPad....I mean even though I have 0 projects except for "The Approach", Auria is showing up as 3 GB on the Ipad usage. I really can't afford that on my 16 GB Ipad AIr. Otherwise its working like a champ and making electronic music a gift from the Aural Gods to me. Thank you AURIA!
Thanks a lot guys in advance.
Have you tried deleting snapshots to clear space? Also check the Inbox folder as this stores files you may have imported via "open in" etc.

Ischemica

Post by Ischemica » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi , I have seen this http://www.sandisk.com/products/wireless/flash-drive/ as a possible solution for Ipads that are low on memory. What I would like to know is can you export songfiles as stems(individual tracks) through Audioshare and later bring them back in as separate tracks(not 2 track mix downs)

also can you off load your full Sandisk to your pc and backup there to free up the sandisk? I will post this on the Audiobus forum as well, but was looking for some feedback from any one who has successfully tried this.

thanks