Reverb and panning!?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

C_corie

Reverb and panning!?

Post by C_corie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:59 pm

On old Beatles/60's stuff the instruments can be panned hard right/left but the reverb seems to be "stereo." Any idea how to do this in Auria. If I pan a track hard right or left with reverb either on that track or the aux input, it still just goes to that side even if it's a STEREO reverb.

Spud
Expert

Re: Reverb and panning!?

Post by Spud » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:34 pm

One round about way is to make a copy of any hard panned track you need reverb on, then apply the reverb to that copied track 100% wet and mix to the master in the required amount. Side benefit is you can apply processing to the reverb.

C_corie

Post by C_corie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 am

I'm a little confused as to why this work on a copy and not the original, I might be misunderstanding you though.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 pm

If you put the reverb on an Aux send, then, depending upon whether the Aux is Pre or Post fader, the reverb will be panned with the channel, or not. (This is because the pan and the fader are normally grouped together, so pre fader is also pre pan and post fader is post pan).
Not sure how Auria is set up, but it shouldn't be too hard to find the answer by experiment - it will help you understand how the routing works.
I think what was being suggested was to copy the track, pan the copy centrally, put reverb on the copy (on the channel strip), and then turn down the copied track to zero, leaving only the reverb - on both channels - (using the 100%wet / 0%dry mix effectively turns the copy to zero, leaving just reverb). Now you can hard-pan the original track without changing the reverb, (because the reverb is already on the copied track). This would work, it's quite clever, but there should be a better way - in terms of simplicity and saving a track.
(You could also pan the reverb into the opposite channel - Dusty Springfield, Son of a Preacher Man style - guitar part on the intro).

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:15 pm

OK, I was wrong, you don't change the position of the aux send pan by moving the Aux pre or post fader. So you may have to do the copy-track idea. :D

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 pm

This is odd.
Using a mono audio file, with Aux 1 set as Pre-Fader, and using the Classic Verb (stereo), this works - you can pan the track to the left and the reverb stays on both channels. But if you use the Convolution Reverb (stereo), it doesn't work - the reverb follows the pan of the track. Something isn't right.

Dominic

Spud
Expert

Post by Spud » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:20 pm

C_corie wrote:I'm a little confused as to why this work on a copy and not the original, I might be misunderstanding you though.
Because you aren't panning the copy, only the original.

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:03 pm

You can also use an Aux instead of the Insert. The other thing you can do is combine any hard panned tracks (such as vocals) panned hard left or right on a Sub and then insert effects there and that will give you stereo effects... :)

C_corie

Post by C_corie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Yes this must be a bug, or how convolution reverb works??