Essential Editing/Recording Features Needed

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

bigbearvo

Essential Editing/Recording Features Needed

Post by bigbearvo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:36 pm

I need to record and edit long form voice narrations quickly and efficiently. In music recording recording, I need to have extensive editing functionality as well to work at the pace my clients are used to. So, I'm suggesting several editing features I've found in other recording software, but currently not available in Auria, which are essential to it becoming my "go to" platform for recording and editing high level audio.

1. A "ripple cut" feature, which in two steps (highlight, cut/join), deletes the highlighted section of audio, and joins all audio beyond the edit to audio prior to the edit point.
2. A "ripple paste" feature, which allows clipboard audio to be inserted at the cursor, retaining audio beyond the cursor and joining it with the newly inserted audio.
3. A "record insert" feature, which allows new audio to be recorded and inserted into the previously recorded timeline at the cursor, retaining and joining with all audio beyond the cursor.
4. An on-the-fly "punch in" record feature, which can be activated either by setting an "in" point ("out" point optional) with an optional user-adjustable "pre-roll" setting, or by simply touching the "record" button at the point the user wants to "punch in".
5. A non-destructive "multiple take" recording feature, which would allow up to 9 or more "takes" when recording at a specific section of the timeline. For instance, all or part of a vocal, or a specific section of a voiceover. This would give the producer the ability to quickly switch between takes, in context, when editing and preparing the mix, to determine the best take, while retaining the others.

These are essential editing features that have been included in many professional hardware and software recording applications since the early 1990's. I personally used several of them, including the Fostex Foundation system, which is still a workhorse in my studio. I found them to be key ingredients in establishing a quick and intuitive workflow when recording and editing intricate narration, dialogue, and music tracks. Including them in future upgrades of Auria will help to cement Auria's viability and usability, in a variety of platforms and applications, from music recording to dialog recording, to audio/video recording and post-production. Use of Auria in my work, which spans all these disciplines will continue to be severely limited until these are incorporated into Auria's functionality.

Given how much thought and innovation you've incorporated into Auria, and the amazing work you've already done in creating a truly professional recording platform on the iPad, I am confident you'll take these suggestions seriously and add them to Auria's extenstive list of professional features.

Thanks!

John Polk

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Essential Editing/Recording Features Needed

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 pm

John,

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of these are already on my list, and I'll do my best to integrate them into a future update. FYI, Auria already has an auto-punch feature, which will punch in and out at the locator positions (but no manual punch). It also has auto-return mode, which will return to the last position after recording or playing back. These options are in the transport menu.

Rim

bigbearvo

Re: Essential Editing/Recording Features Needed

Post by bigbearvo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks, Rim. Looking forward to the improvements in editing functionality. When they're implemented, I'll be incorporating Auria into the mainstream of my workflow. Keep up the great work!