Split stereo track to mono?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sodium
Expert

Split stereo track to mono?

Post by sodium » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi all

I took a live recording of a solo club date I played on the weekend straight from the desk and it sounds okay (for what it is..;). Unfortunately the right side of the stereo feed was bit hot in places and as a result suffers from that nasty digital distortion/click. The good news is that it was essentially a mono feed( I use the Bose PAS MK II system as a pa and it is mono) panned to left and right for the recording out, so the left side of the recording is fine.

Can anyone please tell me how to split a stereo track in Auria so I can isolate the left side of the track and have at least a workable starting place for a live demo? I know I could up it to Wavelab as a last resort but would like to be able to do it in Auria if possible

Thanks in advance.

na
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Washboy
Expert

Re: Split stereo track to mono?

Post by Washboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:03 pm

1) Add a mono track (to take the split Left channel),
2) Solo the source track,
3) Rec Arm the mono destination track,
4) Goto the Input Matrix and tap/highlight the "L" input for your destination track so that it shows yellow,
5) Record for the duration of of the track

Sorry it has to be in realtime. I don't know of another way to do it.

EDIT: Alternatively, there are apps (e.g. Hokusai) which can split a WAV for you. It's fairly easy to get a track out of Auria (with AudioShare, for example). In fact, I think AudioShare's tools can convert to mono (L or R). Do you have AudioShare? If not, you should get it. It's virtually essential :wink:

blaeze

Post by blaeze » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:22 pm

thanks for that… by extension:
- add 2 mono tracks
- add stereo track
- copy stereo content and paste to empty stereo track
- pan 1 stereo track hard left, other hard right
- enable recording on both mono tracks
- select input of one mono track as master left
- select input of other mono track as master right
- one pass splits stereo to 2 mono tracks
- delete stereo tracks
et voila!

do wish the app would feature a 'split stereo to mono' function built in… [feature request]

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 pm

I would use the mixdown function and choose SPLIT STEREO and choose IMPORT AS A NEW TRACK. AuriaPro will split the stereo track into 2 mono tracks. One represents the left channel and the other the right channel. You can then delete the track that contains the bad channel, in your case the right channel. To do this solo the track you want to mixdown, under Menu choose Mixdown, select split stereo, select import as new track. Cheers and good luck.

blaeze

Post by blaeze » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:40 pm

so there is a way to do it properly after all…
that's great, because it's a frequent need for me

still new to Auria, and yet to get far into the documentation

thanks

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:I would use the mixdown function and choose SPLIT STEREO and choose IMPORT AS A NEW TRACK. AuriaPro will split the stereo track into 2 mono tracks. One represents the left channel and the other the right channel. You can then delete the track that contains the bad channel, in your case the right channel. To do this solo the track you want to mixdown, under Menu choose Mixdown, select split stereo, select import as new track. Cheers and good luck.
Doh! :oops: :lol: