Auria, iPad Air, Apogee Quartet & PreSonus FaderPort

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Slopdrop

Auria, iPad Air, Apogee Quartet & PreSonus FaderPort

Post by Slopdrop » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Does anybody have these working together? What is the best cabling hookup method? Which powered USB hub are you using? Is the motorized fader working?

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Auria, iPad Air, Apogee Quartet & PreSonus FaderPort

Post by dominicperry » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:31 am

I haven't done it, because I don't have the equipment you listed. But, assuming you have a 'Quartet for iPad', it has a midi port in the back of it. So you should be able to plug the FaderPort into that. No hub needed.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Faderport works with Auria, however, the it doesn't allow it's fader to be controlled by DAWs when in HUI mode. I don't know why they don't support this, but I've tested the Faderport with Nuendo and other DAWs, and when it's in HUI mode, the fader on the Faderport can control the DAW's faders, but the DAW can't make Faderport's fader move. The Faderport does have some Native modes, which work with DAWs like Nuendo and Pro Tools, and these modes work fine with the fader in both directions, but the HUI mode is limited.

Even with this limitation, the Faderport is still very useful for controlling Auria.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Rim wrote:...I've tested the Faderport with Nuendo and other DAWs, and when it's in HUI mode, the fader on the Faderport can control the DAW's faders, but the DAW can't make Faderport's fader move...
@Rim: I was not aware that users can select any particular 'mode' on the FaderPort, however I tested it with Reaper (HUI) and the fader works fine in both directions. I'll double check this when I'm able and report back.

The most disconcerting thing I've found with Auria+FaderPort is that Auria gives no 'feedback' as to the track that's been selected via FaderPort. It would be great if Auria could perhaps yellow shade the Track/Channel Name box, at least, (on the Mixer View) and the whole Track header area (or whatever is name of the block with the track's solo, mute, rec-enable, buttons, etc., on the Edit View). At the moment it's like flying blind :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Faderport has two modes, native and HUI. It switches automatically, and you don't really have control over it. When you connect it to a DAW that's on the list of supported DAWs, it works in Native mode, and otherwise it's in HUI mode. In HUI mode, I couldn't get the fader working in the DAWs I tried it in.

That's a good idea, but it's not really feasible to shade the channel used, because HUI and MCU protocols assume the controller has 8 faders, so there's no way to know which fader the Faderport is really set to. They really are using a modified subset of the HUI protocol.

Rim

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:21 am

@Rim: It may be that I was unknowingly using a specific FaderPort 'driver' within Reaper, as opposed to a generic HUI one. I need to re-check when I'm able. If that was the case, it would explain why the fader worked fully for me :lol:

Incidentally, is Auria's HUI support a 'drop-in' handler or did you roll your own code (if you don't mind me asking)? I wonder what the FaderPort sends to the DAW (in HUI mode) when a Channel select button is pressed, as opposed to a Bank select button sequence.

Unlike yourself, I'm actually finding the FaderPort of limited usefulness with Auria, as things stand. I experimented briefly with a Samson Graphite and that was OK-ish (having eight faders, pan pots, mutes and solos) but Auria appeared not to recognise Bank select (not blaming Auria here, BTW) so it was only able to control tracks 1-8. In addition, the Graphite seemed unreliable reflecting Mute and Solo status, etc.

I'm thinking of getting hold of a Korg NanoKontrol2 to see if that's any better than the Graphite. However, even if Auria recognises it (and Auria responds to its Bank select), there's still the problem of Auria not giving visual feedback of which bank of channels/tracks is currently selected.

Do you reckon there's any way forward with any of this, Rim, within your sphere of control?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:31 am

I tested Auria's HUI and MCU implementations with actual Mackie MCU Pro and Mackie HUI hardware, and all functioned worked great, so I'm pretty confident of Auria's implementation. On both of those devices, the channel numbers are indicated on the displays above the faders, so there's no need to do anything on the host. Both the MCU and HUI also allow control over every plugin in Auria, displaying the plugin parameters on screen, and allowing you to set all the plugin parameters using the knobs. In any case, I'll look into making something custom for the Faderport or other controllers if one of them gets enough traction. Behringer is coming out with one that looks promising as well.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am

This is how I see the track I am on using my FaderPort, i simply hit solo or mute on the faderPort to see my track. If I am doing a mix I always return the FaderPort to Track 1. The reason I really like my FaderPort is that I can start/Stop set record ready the track and engage Auria to record while not ever looking at Auria. So if I am setting up a sequencer that only receives midi clock, I can be working on that sequence without the need to touch Auria. As well when adjusting Auria's faders or Pan control too often when I lift my finger the setting changes ever so slightly up or down so the FaderPort eliminates this from happening. For the price and a hands on nice Alpine Fader, I would really miss my FaderPort. Cheers.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:24 pm

@Rim: Many thanks for your quick response. Yes, I was aware that you'd originally confirmed compatibility with actual Mackie hardware. If only I could afford an MCU Pro! I was put off the current Behringer control surface but the newly announced X-Touch series does look very interesting.

I get the impression that many Auria users (and potential users) use controller keyboards, offering support for various DAWs and/or HUI 'emulation'. This was the direction from which I first approached remote control of Auria (originally with just MMC), but with only partial success. It was based on Auria users' recommendations that I tried the FaderPort. It does, at the very least, provide full transport controls but has the potential for so much more - if the Auria/FaderPort combination were reliable and optimised.

I'm ready to concede that the FaderPort has an 'idiosyncratic' HUI emulation and I'm led to believe that it is an obsolescent product for Presonus. As such, we can't expect Presonus to iron out all (or any) remaining issues. Nor do I expect WaveMachineLabs to compensate for or work around them. It would be good if it were possible to do so though :wink:

@Anthony Alves: Yes, 'flashing' Solo or Mute is a workaround to help locate the active track - as long as it's already onscreen. Wouldn't it be nice though if Auria's screens could follow the FaderPort? Anyway, I'm pleased that you're satisfied with the status quo, Anthony 8)

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Having acquired one solely based on recommendation from folks on this forum, I have to say that FaderPort is the PERFECT Auria companion, in theory. I, like Anthony, find it to be incredibly useful - even in it's limited state. Unlike many of the engineers on this forum, I am a musician first and foremost... having spent YEARS touring with major and mid-major acts and hundreds of hours in hardware/software studios, doing my best to pay careful attention to the method behind the madness of mic placement, mic placement, mic placement, knob-turning, and fader-nudging. While Auria paired with a nice interface isn't going to replace an airtight "tube village" as of RIGHT NOW, it comes pretty damn close... and the fact that what would have filled three road cases 20 years ago will now fit into the palm of my hand and allow me to apply professional-grade compression/fX is worthy of the timeless cliche, "mind-blowing".

If the pairing of Auria & FaderPort were fully realized (mainly visual feedback and DAW>fader synchronization, as mentioned previously), it would absolutely be the ULTIMATE portable recording solution... and you would likely be hearing more major label releases with origins in Auria. Those of you with one-in-a-million ears may already be able to detect Auria's convo reverb present in the steel guitar intro on a recent track from a major act on Columbia Records!

Sir Rim, if it is a feasible coding endeavor to provide full FaderPort support - I, for one, would CERTAINLY be willing to pay for this as an IAP; the rest of the guys in the room are nodding their heads in accordance!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:18 pm

actualproof wrote:...I, for one, would CERTAINLY be willing to pay for this as an IAP; the rest of the guys in the room are nodding their heads in accordance!...
Agreed! :nod::nod:
(and if there's anything I can do, as a FaderPort/Auria user, to assist such a developmemt endeavour, I'll be happy to oblige)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Thats right Washboy I am pleased with whatever I can get to work with at an affordable price with Auria. When HUI first came available to Auria I was the first to write in the forum of how expensive that would be for people recording using their iPad. So the FaderPort was a great cheap solution to that. Sure an MCU will give me more control over Auria's functions but won't add anything to it's sound or better my mix. Not sure what you mean by being satisfied with the status quo. What is the status quo? Cheers.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:...Not sure what you mean by being satisfied with the status quo. What is the status quo? Cheers...
Sorry, Anthony - I inferred from your post that you are content with the current extent of FaderPort's compatibility and functionality with Auria.

To me there seem to be sufficient inconsistencies (not just that fader automation is not played back) that they get in the way of any useful workflow (to use a much overused term). I need both Auria and FaderPort always to reflect the same settings/attributes for any given track. They don't seem to do so, so I can't 'trust' the FaderPort's indicators and need to keep checking the Auria display(s). It all gets in the way of fluidity.

I'm willing to consider that I may the only user experiencing these issues, of course :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Definitely something to think about for a future update if it proves to be easy enough.

Thanks,
Rim

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Rim wrote:Definitely something to think about for a future update if it proves to be easy enough.

Thanks,
Rim

This guy knows exactly how to restore the "8 year-old kid on Christmas Eve" twinkle to a "young" Gen-Xers eyes! I wouldn't bat an eye at paying just as much as the higher-priced plug-ins for full support as an IAP. Hell, I own every plug-in already - and use about TWO on a regular basis! They're like baseball cards. Collect em all!