Auria, iPad Air, Apogee Quartet & PreSonus FaderPort

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Re: Auria, iPad Air, Apogee Quartet & PreSonus FaderPort

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:04 am

You've all got me looking at the FaderPort. What about Korg's NanoKontrol? It reckons it does much the same thing and it's loads cheaper. Would it work, does anyone know?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:51 am

FaderPort has a proper motorised full length fader. It's a proper full sized piece of kit.

Korg NanoKontrol is small and squishy and horrible. And it has an unnecessary 'K' in its name. :)

Dominic

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Yeah, the 'K' put me off too ;-)

I'll save up for the FaderPort!

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:05 am

Just watched Anthony Alves's YouTube video on the FaderPort and I DEFINITELY want one now. Good for tracking and for mixing. What more could you ask :D

Thanks for doing the vid, Anthony 8)

Slopdrop

Post by Slopdrop » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:37 pm

So I get how well the faderport will work with Auria. The Quartet only has a single USB Midi port to run the faderport, which is fine. I am now curious as to how I might be able to connect a midi keyboard controller at the same time. A USB (powered?) hub would seem to be the only solution. This would have to connect to the USB 2.0 input/output of the Quartet as far as I can tell. I would have to get a different lighting cable with a regular USB plug on the other end. Has anyone got a setup like this that could offer some advice?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:33 pm

You should only need the powered usb hub but you could even get away with a splitter if the Quartet supplies enough power at the usb midi in port. I take it you are currently using the midi usb port with the FaderPort directly inputed. The powered hubs main out will now connect into the usb midi input of the Quartet anf your FaderPort and midi keyboard or any additional controlers get plugged into your usb powered hub of course limited by the number of ports your usb hub supports. Mine is 5 usb 2.0 ports and I run basically the same system. You should be able to connect the usb powered hub directly into the usb midi in port without the need of the usb input adapter as the input of the iPad is already connected to the Quartet so this frees up the regular usb in with no adapter needed. Let me know if I'm wrong about your system or any other way you may be connecting your Quartet to your iPad. Good luck.
Cheers.~~_/)~~~*
And thanks for the appreciation for my vids on Auria. I am working on some cool ones coming out in the next couple of days. Thanks again for your support.

Slopdrop

Post by Slopdrop » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Ok. That is great news. I had been in touch with Apogee tech and they said I could only run a single midi device through that port and that a powered USB hub would not work. I will try a powered hub, unpowered at first and see if the Quartet supplies enough power.
Slopdrop
Port Alberni

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:43 am

Last year there was a user here that had the same problem. I believe it is because the midi usb input in the Quartet is already powered and when connected to an external powered usb hub there is some kind of conflict between the 2. A splitter could work and would be your cheapest test and keep the reciept just in case. I don't know why Apogee would choose to limit the usb midi port to just one device. It just seems so limited for such an impressive device. None the less it's still an incredable piece and sounds good too. Good luck.

Slopdrop

Post by Slopdrop » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:21 pm

I finally got around to trying the Faderport. I plugged it directly into the midi port on the Quartet, no other midi devices. Some lights come on the Faderport, so it appears to be powered. When I open Auria and go to the midi settings, it shows up as Quartet. I set the settings to what I have read are correct but nothing is happening. I am really not sure what I may be missing. Does audiobus mode need to be off? Is there possibly any other setting I need to change? Any input will be greatly appreciated...