Opening an Auria project on a desktop daw

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

MarkyD

Opening an Auria project on a desktop daw

Post by MarkyD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:31 pm

Hey everyone. I'm having a lot of fun with this app but sometimes I grow tired of working on the iPad. Is there a way to transfer what I do on the iPad to my PC daws? I am an armature, I don't have professional daws, acid pro sound studio and magix samplitude music studio. It would be awesome if I can open projects track by track exactly like I created on the iPad in Auria but I have no idea how to do it.

Spud
Expert

Re: Opening an Auria project on a desktop daw

Post by Spud » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:14 am

If you go to the mixdown menu and select stems as the output format it will export all the tracks individually. Best use 24 bit. You can then import those into tracks in your desktop DAW via Dropbox or iFunbox(PC) and a usb cable. Page 80 of the manual explains the mixdown menu.

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:00 am

Depending on what daw you use, you can also export an AAF file and load it into your Daw. I don't use PC though I use a Mac and it works perfectly with Logic Pro. It works great when I want to load a logic project into Auria as well.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

MarkyD

Post by MarkyD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:26 am

awesome guys! Thanks for the help. I knew there had to be a way to do it. Ill give those suggestions a try.

runaway

Post by runaway » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:06 am

While not all DAWs will read an AAF rendering stems is certainly the cheapest and easiest method.
But like AAF, rendering stems omits a lot of detail (markers, bpm, automation, etc) from the conversion and it commits such things as automation, muting, fades and x-fades

In our next release of AATranslator we are aiming to introduce the ability to convert directly from an Auria .prj session file to pretty much any other DAW format eg ProTools, Cubase, Nuendo, Vegas, Reaper, OMF, etc, etc and of course convert from all those DAWs back to Auria

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:43 am

runaway wrote:While not all DAWs will read an AAF rendering stems is certainly the cheapest and easiest method.
But like AAF, rendering stems omits a lot of detail (markers, bpm, automation, etc) from the conversion and it commits such things as automation, muting, fades and x-fades

In our next release of AATranslator we are aiming to introduce the ability to convert directly from an Auria .prj session file to pretty much any other DAW format eg ProTools, Cubase, Nuendo, Vegas, Reaper, OMF, etc, etc and of course convert from all those DAWs back to Auria
Hey, Runaway! Gr8 to see you here (as well as on the SAWStudio & SAC fora)! This is eXcellent news...lóòks like I will have a need for AATranslator in the near future...nice work!! :D

Best regards,

Mike E. Dee

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:25 pm

runaway wrote:
In our next release of AATranslator we are aiming to introduce the ability to convert directly from an Auria .prj session file to pretty much any other DAW format eg ProTools, Cubase, Nuendo, Vegas, REAPER, OMF, etc, etc and of course convert from all those DAWs back to Auria

You just got another customer! :D :D :D

Any projection on delivery dates please?

Cheers
na
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 pm

runaway wrote:
In our next release of AATranslator we are aiming to introduce the ability to convert directly from an Auria .prj session file to pretty much any other DAW format eg ProTools, Cubase, Nuendo, Vegas, REAPER, OMF, etc, etc and of course convert from all those DAWs back to Auria
Fantastic News!

Phil

runaway

Post by runaway » Sat May 31, 2014 7:02 am

Hi guys sorry I haven't been back lately but like the Auria devs we have just so much going on that it's not funny :)

@MikeDee: It's good to be here and thanks for that

@sodium: While we actually have a working beta version that reads an Auria .prj file and converts it to all our supported formats we have not yet written the code to create a .prj file. Now while that is always a little more difficult (you get a single zero or one in the wrong spot and it's goodnight Richard) the Auria devs have been most helpful.
Coupled with that we have the usual host of improvements across all our supported formats and we are transitioning to a different compiler so things get a little tricky.

Now while I would like to have our next release out by 30 June I know that as soon as I have just said that there will be a push to squeeze even more in to that next release and that always puts us on the back foot :roll:

What I can say is that any existing AATranslator customers who feel they need access to a beta version that will read an Auria .prj file are welcome to contact me.

@navpac: Thanks for that

I have now ticked the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' option so I can keep an eye on this.

Anyway - watch this space :wink:

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:36 am

Hi Phil,

Does the above list of DAWs include Sonar?

Kind regards,

Pete

runaway

Post by runaway » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:38 am

Hi

Unfortunately I don't see an icon slapping it's head that I can use :wink:

The only way we currently can get into Sonar is via OMF - their internal format is, well, challenging and they have no other import formats that we can use.
Add to that their only export format (OMF) contravenes the OMF specification by allowing stereo files to be referenced/embedded which means its just too hard reading them
I have endeavoured to get in touch with their devs but that too has been a challenge - I did manage to make contact with one of the 'managers' but he no longer works there - not sure if the two incidents are related or not :wink:

OMF only I'm afraid and just between you and me and whoever else may be listening if it was me I would just bounce down to stems and drag the audio files into Sonar. Don't get me wrong I would love to help empty your wallet but in this instance it's really not worth you purchasing just for this.

Native Sonar sessions are still on our list just not high up at present I'm afraid

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:52 pm

just replying to keep myself notified of progress.

oh and while i'm at it please, I use Reaper on PC and was wondering if it would be useful for me to purchase your program now so that i can try the beta as well as be in the loop for the upcoming new version?

cheers,
na
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

runaway

Post by runaway » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:05 pm

sodium wrote: I use Reaper on PC and was wondering if it would be useful for me to purchase your program now so that i can try the beta as well as be in the loop for the upcoming new version?
How can I say no to that ? :wink:

After purchase just email me direct (info at aatranslator dot com dot au) and I will organise access to the beta
But I'm not around for the next 3 hours so I will reply after that

Oh and in case you didn't realise - you only need the $59 version for what you need

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Runaway,

Thanks for your very informative response. I had read on another forum that Sonar were doing strange things with regard to stereo in OMF. My feeling is that Sonar would be doing itself and its customers a real service by keeping within the rules for OMF. It can only improve their product and enhance customer trust and ultimately they'd sell more.

Have you noticed on opening an .omf file in Sonar from AATranslator: Are things generally ok on Import and are the problems generally associated with Export to omf from Sonar? My reason for asking is that my requirement would mainly be to use Auria projects (copies or clones) imported into Sonar, without further need to reopen in Auria after changes. Just wondering really.

I also have SADiE version 4.3 but am currently discouraged by what an optional plugin might cost from SADiE (and if still avaiable) to deal with OMF in SADiE. Certainly at the moment too expensive for me to move to a current version of SADiE incl. surround and other elements that I currently have in version 4.3 which is now over 10 years old, but still packs a punch. Sorry to wonder a little off topic.

Returning to original point: If OMF import to Sonar is relatively clean it could still pay me to go for AATranslator for the convenience, particularly if you are developing with Auria. I notice in OMF Export in Sonar X-1 that they do offer the option to embed stereo tracks as 2 mono.

Great to see you working with Auria. Rim has done such a great job with Auria. I was flabbergasted when I first got Auria to see what he managed to pack in and with relatively few early bugs. I have always had great respect for the SADiE team and their approach to programing and like Rims similar approach.

Appreciate your input.

Kind regards,

Pete

runaway

Post by runaway » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:42 pm

peteT wrote:My feeling is that Sonar would be doing itself and its customers a real service by keeping within the rules for OMF. It can only improve their product and enhance customer trust and ultimately they'd sell more.
Unfortunately, one doesn't always follow the other :wink:
peteT wrote:Have you noticed on opening an .omf file in Sonar from AATranslator: Are things generally ok on Import and are the problems generally associated with Export to omf from Sonar?
It seems that Sonar only really imports the bare bones from an OMF even if the OMF contains more detail (not that an OMF contains too much more than the basics). Even so I am not aware of any issue with Sonar opening an AAT OMF.
peteT wrote: I also have SADiE version 4.3 but am currently discouraged by what an optional plugin might cost from SADiE (and if still avaiable) to deal with OMF in SADiE. Certainly at the moment too expensive for me to move to a current version of SADiE incl. surround and other elements that I currently have in version 4.3 which is now over 10 years old, but still packs a punch.
I would forget OMF for SADIE as we can easily export a SADIE flavoured AES31/ADL from Auria (yes I know that AES31 is a well documented standard but it seems every daw has their own interpretation LOL) and it will contain more detail than you could hope for - and what's more (and yes this won't help AAT profits much :cry: ) you only need the $59 version of AAT.

Feel free to send me a couple of Auria sessions and I will convert them to OMF and you can then determine the value for yourself - though it is now 3:40am here in Sydney and even I need to sleep so any conversions will need to be done when I wake :)