Syncing DrumPerfect with Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ygagnon
Expert

Syncing DrumPerfect with Auria?

Post by ygagnon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:02 am

I noticed the other day that the new DrumPerfect app is available for me to choose as an "FX" within Auria.

When I arm a stereo track to record within Auria, and then choose the DrumPerfect app/FX -- it then launches the DrumPerfect app, and there's a small Auria-specific toolbar at the bottom of the screen that has a blinking red record button in it.

I've tried everything, .. but it appears that there's no way to initiate the recording within Auria from within the DrumPerfect app. I've tried pressing the play button that's in the Auria specific toolbar -- as well as the blinking red record button -- pressing both of them together at the same time --- and even the normal play button for the DrumPerfect app --- but it seems that the only way to get Auria to start recording is to do so while within Auria, .. and to then switch back over to the DrumPerfect app and to press it's normal play button.

Am I missing something? Is that really as good as it gets? Is there no way o synchronize Auria and DrumPerfect?

Thanks!
- Yvan

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Syncing DrumPerfect with Auria?

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:07 am

We haven't tried DrumPerfect yet, but normally with an IAA, you would first press the record button, then the play button (just like you do in Auria). As an alternative, you could press the record button in Auria first, then switch to DrumPerfect and press the play button there. Make sure you have one or more tracks record enabled, as recording won't start unless something is record enabled.

Rim

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 am

Yeah .. I tried that exactly as you described, and it appears that I'm not able to initiate the recording from within DrumPerfect at all.

- Yvan

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi Ygagnon,

I haven't been able to see DP within the effects buss of Auria. Did it just appear or did you have to do something to make that happen?

I've been having syncing issues with DP and Auria myself....

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:04 pm

It's always just shown up for me -- I didn't have to do anything special at all.

- yg

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:40 am

Have you contacted the developer? Seems like an issue on their end, since other IAAs are able to activate Auria's record.

Rim

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:18 am

Actually -- I think I've figured out what's going on. It appears that I am able to activate Auria's record function from within DrumPerfect. The problem is that when you press on the tiny white play button that's to the left of the small blinking red record button -- absolutely nothing happens to indicate that Auria has started recording. The state of the small white play button doesn't change, .. and the small red record button just goes on blinking.

So if you have a 3-4 minute drum sequence that you want to record into Auria -- you have to be super confident that you actually pressed the tiny white play button and that Auria is actually recording, .. otherwise you have to start over.

I haven't experimented with any other IAA apps to see if they have the same user interface problem -- but it would be helpful if the state of the small white play button would noticeably change when pressed, .. so you know that you did in fact press it and that Auria is recording.

It'd be even more useful if there was some kind of sync mode that could be switched on in DrumPerfect that would also initiate the playing back of the drum sequence when you press the small white play button .. but I realize that it might take the developer some more time to implement that.

RIM .. I know this is out of your hands, and I realize that you can't do anything about it. I'm mostly just sharing my findings and suggestions, since it's evident that others here have been encountering similar issues.

Is there a website or some kind of support forum for DrumPerfect, .. or some way to contact the developer?

Thanks!
- Yvn

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:57 am

Here's the DrumPerfect forum:

http://www.drumperfect.nl/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3

I'm having a wonderful time with DP!

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:45 am

Hey everyone -- I just figured out when I enable "Midi Clock" in DrumPerfect, .. that I can trigger the playing back of my drum sequence when initiating recording from within Auria. I've noticed that there's a slight delay (as other users have reported) but that's good enough for me .. for now anyways.

Now if only there was a way to send & record each of the different drum instruments to their own tracks :)

- Yvan

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:31 am

Hi Yvan,

I made some interesting discoveries myself, this weekend, with DP and Auria. I found that it works best if you turn off MTC and MMC and only have Auria 'Send Notes'
What happens is it locks up tempo wise and starts with Auria perfectly and stays in time. If you have MMC on DP gets "confused" and drifts off time.

The other thing I found is if you have DP chosen through the insert of a channel it uses waaaaayyyyyy more CPU space than if you just have them sync seperately. You lose the ability to control the volume within Auria, but you probably won't need to utilize that function till you're getting ready to mix anyway and by that point you will have recorded the synced drums to their own tracks.

I was banging my head against the whole sync thing for days until I stopped trying to get MIDI time code working. Hopefully DP will implement true time code in the future, but at least for now you can start/stop and sync in time!

Hope this helps!

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks jg707! When you say "Turn off MTC and MMC", do you mean within Auria .. or within DP ?

Also -- do you know if it's important that the tempos that are configured in both Auria and DP need to be set to the same BPM? Or does the Auria override DP's tempo setting?

Lastly -- do I still need to enable Midi Clock within DP?

- Yvan

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi Yvan,

Yes turn off MTC and MMC in Auria, just have on 'Send Notes'

Also, be sure that both 'Send MIDI Start and Stop' and 'Send MIDI Song Position Pointer' are set to 'On' I don't think MIDI Position Pointer actually makes a difference, but it seems to be a bit more stable with it on...

Auria will control the tempo. One of the things I noticed was that with "MMC on" DP's tempo fluctuated greatly, but when I turned off MMC and just had 'Send Note' from Auria starting and stopping DP, it stayed right on the tempo with Auria

MIDI Clock should be 'On' in DP, but when it's running, you may notice it stays red, but that's ok...

Again, this isn't going to allow you to stop in the middle and pick it up again, you always have to start from the beginning, but it will stay locked in tempo with Auria really well.

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 am

Thanks so much! I did exactly as you described, and it seemed to work. However .. since I didn't load DP as a plugin (as you suggested), it sounds like what I'm actually recording is through the iPad's internal microphone. Because what I end up with is a stereo track that has very faint drums recorded onto it .. along with my voice, plain as day.

Are you getting the same result?

- yg

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 am

Are you recording vocals through the iPad mic? The drums shouldn't come through if you're monitoring on headphones.

The only way I could see DP recording on a track is either through audio leakage, though the iPad mic if your using that for vocals, or if it's assigned to the track in the Input Matrix, but I doubt that would be the case.

I haven't had that problem myself, but I'm usually recording either through the lightning connector or through Audiobus....

What is your setup?

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:59 am

I have absolutely nothing hooked up to the iPad at all whatsoever (not even headphones). All I am doing is as follows:

1) I launch Auria and configure the MIDI settings as you've suggested

2) I launch DP (separately -- not as an FX plugin) and enable MIDI clock

3) I go back to Auria, arm my track for recording, and then initiate the recording.

When I initiate the recording, .. the drum sequence within DP starts playing, and although it appears to be recording, I suspect that what it's actually recording is internal MIC's input .. which is picking up the drum sequence that's playing back through the iPad's speakers, as well as whatever other sounds are happening in the room (ie: my voice).

Should I hook up headphones? Is that even going to disable the iPad's internal mic?

-Yvan