Syncing DrumPerfect with Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jg707
Expert

Re: Syncing DrumPerfect with Auria?

Post by jg707 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:07 am

Yes, I think it would be best to use headphone for monitoring recorded and synced track when you want to isolate vocals, otherwise whatever you hear the mic will pick up. Your mic will still be active, but the iPad speaker will be deactivated as long as the headphones are plugged in.

In addition, if you want to record the drums, it would be best to do that internally (as a seperate recording) which is simply a matter of assigning it to a track either in the Input Matrix or through Audiobus....

Hope that helps!

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm not sure I follow.

How can I record just the drums -- internally -- without also recording using the iPad's internal mic on to the same stereo track? Are you saying that isn't possible? Or do I need to hook up an external audio interface, and just not plug any mics or line level devices into it when doing the internal recording?

- yg

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 pm

You can record internally two ways. One is how you had it before, with the DP in the IAA of a track. It uses up a lot of memory, but you only have to do it once. I prefer using Audiobus, and it will automatically set up the input for you. It doesn't use as much RAM and it gives you the option of using any effects apps as well.

One of the advantages of not recording DP right away and syncing instead is you can build up the rest of your tracks and then work on drum fills after you have a lot of the other tracks done. Sometimes adding a drum track too early results in either the drums being too busy, because of too many fills, or not driving the track enough, due to little or no fills...anyway, that's my two cents.

Do you have Audiobus? Great app!

ygagnon
Expert

Post by ygagnon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:26 pm

No, I do not have Audiobus. My understanding is that it doesn't work too well with Auria when using an iPad 2, which is what I have.

So is there no way to avoid also recording audio from the internal mic when doing an internal drum recording? Or does using the more CPU intensive IAA method eliminate this problem?

- Yvan

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 pm

I used to have an iPad 2 and it worked pretty well with Audiobus for the most part...

Anyway, you can avoid leakage by monitoring with headphones instead the iPad speaker. That's probably the easiest way to make sure whatever tracks you're listening to don't leak onto a track your recording.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:21 pm

After current DrumPerfect update, only send MTC is required in Auria's midi settings and DrumPerfect set to Midi Clock. This seems to be working fine here now in Audiobus and IAA mode. Cheers

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Update on syncing with DP. It has worked solidly now for a while as long as I only use 'Send MIDI Notes' and don't attempt to use MTC. It means always having t start from the beginning every time, but it syncs up perfectly every time. Hopefully this will change as DP develops and Auria brings in more MIDI functionallity, but for now I'm syncing!