Syncing with Drumperfect

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jg707
Expert

Syncing with Drumperfect

Post by jg707 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 am

Has anybody experienced this? I can sync Drumperfect to Auria with Auria as the master, using MTC and it locks right in sync, but it's about 20ms behind...

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas?

Marinus suggested it might be the buffer, but I'm not sur how I can adjust for that.....

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Syncing with Drumperfect

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:48 am

No your not doing anything wrong. I have done extensive tests over the past couple days regarding Auria and it's ability to sync to inter iOS apps wether by Audiobus input or IAA plugin. The problem seems to be a clocking issue where by Auria loses or rather drifts it's timing ever so slowly over time. My tests revealed that within 15 bars at a beat of 70 bpm Auria has drifted a quarter note. I have the wavefile to demonstrate this happening. So far it has done this to DrumPerfect, BeatMachine, Modrum.
Today's tests I will be using Different Drummer, Drum Jam, Yamaha Synth & DrumPad.
Some drum apps only allow connecting via WIST like Korg Electribe, Akai iMPC, so I can't test a midi sync with those. Funckbox doesn't communicate with Auria at all so no testing that one. Drums HD is IAA but not syncable only playable in real time so can't test that one. I also have Molten Drum and DM1 but both have proven not sync-able either.
I could start testing Auria syncing to actual full daws but that would be senseless and severely taxing on the cpu.
If there is anyone out there that can sync a drum beat in Auria and record it for a full length song please reply.
I will get back by the end of the day with my results. Cheers. This problem has seriously slowed down my work flow. As it's not even possible to adjust the waveform after the recording because each hit over time is in a different location. That is why I need to know why this is happening.
So you all know , I can sync every one of the above drum apps to other daws with no problems. They lock on as tight as 0ms.
So this is possible everyone.

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks Anthony! You are an invaluable resource in my attempts to make an all iOS recording set up work...

I have also posted this issue on the Drumperfect forum. I have been getting great help from a user named ZenLizard, who has been able to make his set up work. Here's the thread so far...

http://www.drumperfect.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24

Thanks again for all your help and support!
Jeremy

jg707
Expert

Post by jg707 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:21 pm

UPDATE....

I made some interesting discoveries , this weekend, with DP and Auria. I found that it works best if you turn off MTC and MMC and only have Auria 'Send Notes'
What happens is it locks up tempo wise and starts with Auria perfectly and stays in time. If you have MMC on DP gets "confused" and drifts off time.

The other thing I found is if you have DP chosen through the insert of a channel it uses waaaaayyyyyy more CPU space than if you just have them sync seperately. You lose the ability to control the volume within Auria, but I probably won't need to utilize that function till I'm getting ready to mix anyway and by that point I will have recorded the synced drums to their own tracks.

I was banging my head against the whole sync thing for days until I stopped trying to get MIDI time code working. Hopefully DP will implement true time code in the future, but at least for now you can start/stop and sync in time!

Thanks to everyone who responded!