Auria Graphics - vector display?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jonathancurran

Auria Graphics - vector display?

Post by jonathancurran » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:47 pm

As we know the graphics on Auria aren't high resolution on a retina display. The reason as has been stated is that it would consume too many resources.

I was thinking, surely rendering the display as vector graphics rather than a bitmap would be more resource-friendly if the vector graphics were simple? Sure, you lose some of the "photo-realism" but I personally think it would be much clearer and better for saving resources. Also, no matter the resolution of your display, it will always appear sharp, unlike the current Auria.

I made a mockup using only simple vectors. I've uploaded it as a jpg but if you'd like to see that it's a vector image, I've also uploaded it as a PDF which you can view at any size you'd like. Let me know what you think

Click image to enlarge:

The vector image as a PDF:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/210620692/Auria-Vector-Mockup

Thanks
Jonathan

mtingle
Expert

Re: Auria Graphics - vector display?

Post by mtingle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:05 pm

I really like vector graphics but I also love the look of Auria as it is.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:22 pm

mtingle wrote:I really like vector graphics but I also love the look of Auria as it is.
^^^^
This

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:11 pm

As long as it retains functionality I don't care how it looks. I do care how it sounds, and if less photorealistic graphics makes more resources available then I'm all for it.

Shazamm
Expert

Post by Shazamm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Isn't the whole point "how it sounds" the most important is how it sounds

Shazamm
Expert

Post by Shazamm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm

mrufino1 wrote:As long as it retains functionality I don't care how it looks. I do care how it sounds, and if less photorealistic graphics makes more resources available then I'm all for it.
I'm confused

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 am

i don't care about retina,it looks good as it is and the mixer isn't the problem.It's still the sluggish edit screen,even on latest devices.First i thought it has also something to do with the fact that they don't use a seperate window for arrange and edit samples but it's still sluggish even with deactivated waveforms.I know i sound like a broken record but how many new devices do i have to buy until it's usable?I'm usually working with a lot of smaller parts (8-16 bars)so maybe that's the reason why most user doesn't affect this that much (recording only long takes).But i never saw something like"works smooth only with long takes"in the app store description ;-)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Shazamm
Expert

Post by Shazamm » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 am

Editing screen works great on my iPad air with 24 tracks

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:25 am

Shazamm wrote:
mrufino1 wrote:As long as it retains functionality I don't care how it looks. I do care how it sounds, and if less photorealistic graphics makes more resources available then I'm all for it.
I'm confused
I meant that if vector graphics free up resources as the op said, then that means more resources available for factors that have to do with sound. We are agreeing that the sound is the most important factor. Usability to achieve the sound is important as well. No edit screen sluggishness on my air either, but when I was on my ipad 2 that was tough. Auria takes a lot of resources though, so the more robust the processor the easier auria will be to use. Anyway, not of much consequence. I'm probably confusing myself too.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 am

I guess the bitmap graphics take a couple of kilobytes of memory - no big deal. I could be wrong, but I think vector graphics won't improve performance remarkably. Just a tiny bit more free RAM is the only advantage. The same with other apps (synths, sequencers, DAW's), they all use bitmaps.

jonathancurran

Post by jonathancurran » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:06 am

I was thinking more along the lines of that it would look clearer and also display nicely in retina displays, rather than pixellated like currently. Just a suggestion :)

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Shazamm wrote:Editing screen works great on my iPad air with 24 tracks
would love to see a video of this. sluggish response is also my issue with auria now. after working in cubasis for several weeks now, i don't think i can go back to the sluggish window, especially while editing. i was literally pulling my hair out 2 weeks ago just making cuts, looping, etc.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:55 pm

jonathancurran wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of that it would look clearer and also display nicely in retina displays, rather than pixellated like currently. Just a suggestion :)
ah, I see. I wasn't even aware that one can see pixels, I guess I only look at the meters and try to hit the right button when working with Auria.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:12 am

it's only pixelated if you stick your nose direct to the display imo.Usually i'm working on music in a more comfortable position :wink:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but there's an update coming that will vastly improve the speed of the GUI, and it'll be retina as well.

Rim