Playback volume issues

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rmohan06

Playback volume issues

Post by Rmohan06 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Hello!
I am relatively new to Auria but so far have found it to be an amazing tool. However, I seem to be struggling with playback volume consistently when I am creating projects. I have done a great deal of research and have tried things like turning up the recording volume (which I admittedly missed at first) on each track and turning up the mic volume on my iTrack input interface but to no avail. When I listen to the playback in headphones/earbuds I have to turn it up at least half way or more to really hear anything. Back in Auria, when I start to move up the mix levels for the track I mostly start peaking and clipping in the master level and things start sounding pretty bad.

My method is using one mic through my iTrack interface to capture both guitar and voice. I record a mono track and then duplicate it followed by panning one to the left and the other to the right for a more full and balanced sound. The track volumes are pretty much all the way up. Is there something I am missing? I definitely don't want my listener to have to turn way up just to hear my song :? ! Is there something I can do to add volume to the final mix down?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Playback volume issues

Post by dominicperry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:57 pm

There may be some useful information in this thread

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11687

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 am

That topic relates to an issue with the iPad speaker and Auria. It sounds like you're talking about output from the headphones, right? In this case, try using the volume buttons on the side of your iPad. Depending on which iOS version you're using, these may be active. Have you plugged your headphones into the iPad, or your interface?

Rim

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 am

Rim there is a volume issue with Auria, when you compare the output
volume of Auria and the volume of other DAW, Auria is quite lower in
volume. This is has been discussed vastly in other treads , hope you looking
into this issue so it could be fixed in next update. See attached

.http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10033

Rmohan06

Post by Rmohan06 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys! When I record the mic it hot - it's pretty loud coming through my iTrack monitor and headphones but it totally comes through low on the playback. Not just my iPad - I did a test mix down and listened to it my phone and still had to turn it up almost half way to reach a good level. Still troubleshooting and not ruling out operator error :-)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:37 am

@Rmohan06, if you're trying to play back using the built-in iPad speaker, this is a known issue that should be addressed in the next update.

@djjuniorpops, We don't see any issues with Auria's output levels and have done some pretty detailed testing. For a simple example, try importing a test wav file of a 0dB sinewave. If you set Auria's faders all to 0dB, including the master fader, disable all effects, then create a mixdown, the result will be the exact same sinewave at 0dB. A test like this proves that Auria doesn't change the audio at all, your mixdown will be a bit-for-bit copy of the original audio file, so the volume is unchanged.

If you're seeing low levels, it's likely that you have the masterstrip or a channelstrip enabled, and have it set up with compression or EQ. Depending on your settings, they can affect volume in several ways. Note that both the channelstrip and masterstrips have output level controls on each section.

Rim

Rmohan06

Post by Rmohan06 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks Rim,

Some great stuff to test out. I will report back once I try all the above methods of testing.

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Thanks Rim, would try all your suggestions