Best audio interface for PC and ipad air?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

vejichan
Expert

Best audio interface for PC and ipad air?

Post by vejichan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:12 am

Are there any good audio interfaces that will work with recording on PC and on the ipad? So far I have found Roland duo capture ex and focusrite I track solo. Which is better?

mtingle
Expert

Re: Best audio interface for PC and ipad air?

Post by mtingle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:39 pm

'in theory' this would be higher quality but it's not out for a few months:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mixer ... /x/1853770

if you bought it before the end of today you could have it at a huge saving.

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi all, to be honest with you I have been trying to make my songs (pop/soul/electro) with Auria on Ipad, including to record my voice direct into the Ipad with a Focusrite voice pre amp...it's not serious....imagine, you are recording your voice in a 24 bites frequency...you'll never rich a serious quality. Ipad and Auria is just ok to compose a song
Or to mix it.
Don't beleave those who speak about Ipad as a serious device to make a definitive recording...
The voice has to be recorded in a mac or a PC with a serious material.
Am leaving Ipad to go to MacPro 2013 32g of ram and a good external periphery. A real voice pre amp with lamps (Avalon) with a nice rack SSL a mic Neumann and Logic Pro X and The Ipad will be so small suddenly....
Nothing can replace a real studio material...nothing...
Ipad and Auria is just a tool that can help to make a small demo of what you do but don't dream too high........
;-)

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:23 am

anton06 wrote:Hi all, to be honest with you I have been trying to make my songs (pop/soul/electro) with Auria on Ipad, including to record my voice direct into the Ipad with a Focusrite voice pre amp...it's not serious....imagine, you are recording your voice in a 24 bites frequency...you'll never rich a serious quality. Ipad and Auria is just ok to compose a song
Or to mix it.
Don't beleave those who speak about Ipad as a serious device to make a definitive recording...
Am leaving Ipad to go to MacPro 2013 32g of ram and a good external periphery. A real voice pre amp with lamps (Avalon) with a nice rack SSL a mic Neumann and Logic Pro X and The Ipad will be so small suddenly....
Ipad and Auria is just a tool that can help to make a small demo of what you do but don't dream too high........
;-)
I'm struggling with mixing on my iPad, but it believe it has more to do with my inexperience and my non-treated room than with the iPad's limitations. I've heard plenty of recordings on this forum and elsewhere that sound top notch. Elvis Costello recorded some of the vocals on one of his recent records in his kitchen with his iPad. Some of this forum's members work in and run professional studios and use Auria and iPads as part of their workflow. I can't argue against 32gigs of RAM (there's always someone with a bigger boat), but I have to say that one CAN make professional quality recordings using an iPad, iPhone, Auria, excellent interface, and some of the other music creation apps and DAWs in the App Store.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:13 pm

I think you can make a serious recording with anything that records sound. It's about what goes into the mic that matters. If you mean you can't make a professional recording like the new pharrell record, especially the part where he sings in completely the wrong key (and no, I don't hate all new music and I am not sure why that is like that because I know he is not musically ignorant), you're right. I can't run enough dsp on my ipad to make a bad singer good. However, a good arrangement with good players (or the right players if that fits) can be great on anything. Benny Goodman live at Carnegie hall still sells, as does the Robert Johnson box set. I've heard some jazz and blues (or insert style of your choosing) recorded at 24/192, or on a vintage neve to a nice studer, that is unlistenable. But there's lots of frequencies...

So, to sum up, if you go with the setup you described then I hope it works well for you and I look forward to hearing your music. If ipad works for someone else, that's cool, no need to denounce it. All tools are valid in the right hands.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm

anton06 wrote:Hi all, to be honest with you I have been trying to make my songs (pop/soul/electro) with Auria on Ipad, including to record my voice direct into the Ipad with a Focusrite voice pre amp...it's not serious....imagine, you are recording your voice in a 24 bites frequency...you'll never rich a serious quality. Ipad and Auria is just ok to compose a song
Or to mix it.
;-)
Good luck with your "24 bites frequency". :roll:

Anton, my advice is that nobody should pay any attention to your negative rant. Probably out of frustration and lack of knowledge of how to use the equipment you have.
Read some manuals and get some experience, and learn how to really use the tools available to you.

Don't discourage those who are learning, or are already more capable of creating something just as wonderful on an iPad as could be achieved on a Mac or PC.

One of my all time favorite albums is "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the Beatles, and it was not created on a Mac or PC. I have a large list of other awesome releases you might benefit from hearing.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:26 pm

anton06 wrote: Don't beleave those who speak about Ipad as a serious device to make a definitive recording...
I think we should instigate a monthly prize for "Wrongest Post Of The Month"....;)

Man, no offence but what you wrote above is just plain wrong. Where to begin....

firstly, there is no such thing as a "definitive recording". i've heard stuff recorded on portastudios that would blow your mind, and stuff recorded on SSLs that sound like rubbish. it's all relative.

secondly, the voice certainly does not "have to be" recorded in a mac or PC. it's a HUGE mistake to make that sort of absolute statement. in fact it's such a silly statement I cant bear to even discuss it further.:)

thirdly, you seem to be keen to visit that tired old "what gear is best" discussion. the answer, as any pro will tell you, is that there is no such thing as "the ultimate gear" . it's what you do with it that counts.

and lastly, please go listen to that auria demo song again, then get back to me with that " Don't beleave those who speak about Ipad as a serious device to make a definitive recording...".......:)

cheers!
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:12 am

To answer the original question, I have an iTrack Solo and I've been delighted with it. It managed the transition to my iPad4 (via a lightening adaptor) without a hitch and produces very good results. I had an Alesis dock before which was nothing but trouble. No such problems with the iTrack Solo.

To answer the 'is an iPad any good for recording' debate, I agree with the majority. I've been on other forums with folks with incredible gear and their recordings have been... Awful. I was enthused by how good some of the recordings on here are, and it's a fair point to say how good some four track stuff, and recordings from 'the early years', are.

Bottom line - the music is the thing, not the recording device. That said, I have taken things to quite another level using Auria compared to previous efforts on PC, mostly because I can quickly and easily use all of the various techniques and plugins.

Auria is not for everyone, but the idea that you CAN'T produce good results on Auria is clearly nonsense. I would, though, say that you CAN'T produce good results without good music. You can't polish a turd. 8)

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:19 am

How's itrack with using PC recording?

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 am

Erm, being honest, Ive never tried :roll:

I came over to the iPad because of my hideous experience of trying recording on the PC. :evil:

It works very nicely on the iPad and _says_ it's compatible with the PC, but I can't give you test results as I start twitching and freaking out if I see a microphone or guitar near a PC :lol:

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:48 am

Bob Amser wrote: I came over to the iPad because of my hideous experience of trying recording on the PC
I'm curious, Bob.

How/why was your PC experience so awful?
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:19 pm

I spent days and days trying to set up the audio interface and then getting to grips with Ableton Live. Weeks into the project, I had one lousy track of guitar to show for it, so I flogged the interface and borrowed my band mate's old four track until I got into iPad recording (GarageBand first, then Auria).

For a non-tech person, I just don't have the motivation to learn all of the stuff that seems to go with PC recording, and spending hours and hours trawling forums for fixes and reinstalling drivers was not my idea of a good time. I'm a hobbyist recorder and just don't have that sort of time to waste alongside a job with long hours, kids, a wife, an allotment etc etc

With Auria I can turn my attentions to learning the art of recording rather than the (computer) science of it. Now that's something I can enjoy!

Having said all that, I am going to start and use my PC for the drums as there's currently no app on the market which will take my midi out from my electric kit and turn it into a multi track recording that I can then balance, process, mix and Drumagog within Auria (thanks to Mark Rufino for that tip).

dkhbrit
Expert

Post by dkhbrit » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 am

You know what, I'm in the same situation as you were Bob. Sick and tired of the constant searching for answers just to get sound in and out of my PC. I'm a total novice at recording and Auria/iPad has been a breeze, with a lot of help from nice people on this forum. And once I do get some stuff laid down, the thought of being able to spend those restless hours flying to England in the summer fiddling around with eq and cross fades and stuff is great!