New HQ audio interface for ipad (charge it too)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mtingle
Expert

New HQ audio interface for ipad (charge it too)

Post by mtingle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:51 am

Fellow Auria users, there's a new HQ audio interface by centrance called mixerface could be ideal for use with ipad & Auria:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mixer ... /x/1853770

Its a kick starter campaign with just a few days left, so you could grab yourself a bargain, I did :)

-battery powered
-2 x HQ mic pre-amps
-Hi-Z input

"MixerFace is a Cadillac, with long-life rechargeable battery, ability to charge the iPad, rather than drain its battery, two input channels with Line, Mic and Hi-Z inputs on professional connectors, individual analog controls, ability to work with iOS AND Mac/PC, defeatable professional limiter per channel, etc, etc. A seirous unit"

dominicperry
Expert

Re: New HQ audio interface for ipad (charge it too)

Post by dominicperry » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:29 am

I have one on order too. It will, of course, be late!

It will have limiters too, although no specs so far. In fact, no specs for the Mic Pres, so I'm hoping they are better than the one in the MicPort Pro. The line inputs will be a padded mic input, which is a pity but they claim that is common in most interfaces. I would prefer a dedicated circuit, but the thing is tiny, there's probably no room. It's always nice to know what the max input line level is too.
But it does have a headphone mix control, and it will have a reasonably loud headphone amp, again, based on other CEntrance products.
And it will run on battery power, USB bus power (I think), external power and charge the iPhone/iPad (presumably only when on external power).
No midi, sadly. But other than that, it ticks all the boxes so far.

Not long to go before the end of the VERY cheap deals. About 43 hours at the time of writing.

Dominic

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 am

Looks like a good product, but the video demo was annoying. Lol, the iPhone was parallel to the mixerface alright :lol:

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:02 pm

dominicperry wrote:I have one on order too. It will, of course, be late!
Dominic
@dominicperry
It looks quite interesting; but I'll be waiting for your thoughts on the Mics Pre-Amps before I look for one.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm

starfugger wrote:Looks like a good product, but the video demo was annoying.
agreed! I dunno, me personally i'm a little over kick starter campaigns offering not that much benefit. sure its a discount, but no one's heard it, there are no user or pro reviews and I'm generally against being an early adapter when it comes to technology (which always seems to come down in price at a startling rate after release and market competition). if it turns out to be a great bit of kit, then i'll buy it at full price. but at the moment its a bit of a shot in the dark
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Yeah, sodium. That video demo was an attempt at luring people with limited knowledge in recording into investing in the product. I got turned off. Of course the iPhone recording will sound shitty because the mic was several feet away from the sound source, while the real mics were just a couple of inches away from the source. Close stereo micing vs mono room micing with the iPhone's inbuilt volume booster turned on, we know how that one will turn out. A fair comparison would have been to at least place the iPhone in the same spot as the mics.

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 am

I agree. iffy vids and info. But going for it anyway!