Auria as MTC-Slave and Video-Sync for Voice Over Work

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

syncope

Auria as MTC-Slave and Video-Sync for Voice Over Work

Post by syncope » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Forum,

I´d like to use Auria as MTC-Slave to my Main-Daw (Nuendo) to synchronize videos on Auria to videos on Nuendo for voice over work.

I am using a Win-7 System and rtpMIDI over Wlan for the MTC.

I was able to establish the MTC sync between Nuendo and Auria but it is somehow quite erratic. I have the feeling they aren´t in sync at all! The smpte-displays differ in seconds, not in frames. :? Is this a common problem of auria and Win7 and rtpMIDI or is it something about my setup?

I also don´t quite understand how auria handles the starting-point of the video. The video on my DAW starts at smpte: 00:01:00:00 and I entered a video-offset in Auria of 00:01:00:00 but if I start my DAW from lets say 00:59:55:00 Auria is able to grab the MTC at 00:59:58:00 and starts the video. which results in a video playback that is out of sync by two seconds.

The manual states this:
Note on using chase sync: When Auria is set to chase an outside source, Auria will vari-speed audio playback to match the other clock source, if needed. One caveat is that when slaved to external sync only the main audio outputs (1 & 2) are active.
But it doesn´t mention where I can set auria to use chase sync?

Thanks for reading/answering :)

Phil999
Expert

Re: Auria as MTC-Slave and Video-Sync for Voice Over Work

Post by Phil999 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 am

my experience is that Cubase and Auria are completely in sync (using both metronomes for quick check), but it takes a moment until Auria locks to MTC. What you are describing appears not possible to me: either it locks and is in sync, or it doesn't lock and doesn't even run.

I don't know if this helps, but here are my settings:

Cubase: MTC out and MIDI Clock out for the same rtpMIDI port

Auria: MTC in and MIDI Clock in, and External Sync enabled

syncope

Post by syncope » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Hey Phil. Thanks for your answer! :)

To clarify this: I don´t want to record the audio to auria. I just want auria to play back a video in sync with Nuendo and record the audio to Nuendo. The goal is that a voice talent in my vocal booth sees the same videoposition played back by auria that I see when I look at the nuendo videoplayback.

I have now done some more tests. Auria and Nuendo are audiowise not perfectly in sync but close enough and thats ok since I didn´t expect that from a MTC sync anyway. I recorded the audioplayback of both and compared the position of the waveforms, and there is quite a delay: they are far from "in phase". I didn´t use auria with an external soundcard, maybe thats a latency issue.

The problem for me is the video handling of auria:

The moment auria gets a solid MTC sync (ie. the clock icon turns solid green. Which can take more than 8sec, is there any way to speed this up?), it also immediately starts the videoplayback of the imported video no matter which SMPTE Position it is in. Therefore the startpoint of the videoplayback of auria is in no way synced to the startpoint of the videoplayback of nuendo, even tho both have the same video-offset smpte-position. The voice talent in the booth which looks at the ipad does not see the same video-position I see when I look at the video playback from nuendo.

Is there any way to solve this mystery? I´d REALLY like to use auria this way, and I think there is a market for this kind of application since there are quite a few software solutions for this out there but all of them need dedicated computers.

http://www.humatic.de/htools/chaingang.htm
http://www.maisch.at/MtcVideoSlave/MtcVideoSlave.html
http://www.non-lethal-applications.com/ ... setup.html

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:56 pm

if it can take up to 8 seconds to lock, I think you should forget about wifi and connect the iPad and the DAW with wired MIDI.

MTC or MIDI clock over wifi seems adventurous anyway. Such things should always be done with wires. Strangely it works very good at my place using wifi. With Auria only, when I try to sync (MIDI sync, no MTC) other apps via wifi they go out of sync after 20 seconds or so.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 am

Just so it's clear, there are two settings for playing back video - the "video offset" setting in Auria's settings page, and the SMPTE start time setting (this one only comes up as you're importing a video). They do different things:

- The Video Offset setting tells Auria at what exact time to start playing the video
- The start time tell Auria what part of the video you want to import.

Rim

scharamella
Expert

Post by scharamella » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:14 pm

I might've missed something here but why can't you just send the video from Nuendo out another VGA port & split that so you end up with 3 monitors.
ie, 2 for you ...with Nuendo on one & video playback on the other...then y cord that monitor to a 3rd one in the booth so you both see the same vision ??

The ipad / auria combination seems way too complicated & prone to "mishaps" for my liking.