Punching in on the fly

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Strizbiz
Expert

Punching in on the fly

Post by Strizbiz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:54 am

So I'm wondering,i know I can auto punch in with Auria , but when I put the song in play mode and try to punch in on the fly ( with record enabled on the desired track ) every time I hit record it just stops the song. Am I missing something? ( using an ipad 2) can we not punch in on the fly?
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Punching in on the fly

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:51 am

Auria can only auto punch. I haven't added manual punching, as this would require a tremendous effort in terms of coding, so I figured it's not worth the trade off. It's usually just as easy to define the area you want to punch ahead of time.

Rim

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:26 am

I agree with the poster. On the fly punch ins would be AWESOME. i use auria to record my kid on the guitars and i find autopunch counter intuitive... Or at least it's not what i am (and i guess thousands of others are) used to. I have wanted to buy Auria for the longest, but waited forever because it didn't have quickpunch. Still looking forward to the addition of quick punch eventually :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:57 am

I would like to get a better understanding of why manual punch in would be useful. Auto punch is so easy to use, I can't see a reason someone would want to manually punch instead: go to the editor, and draw a range you want to punch, and press record.

Benefits:
- You don't have to get your timing right - Auria just starts recording exactly at the punch in point.
- Fast for workflow: It takes me less than 5 seconds to define a punch section.
- On the editor, you can see all the existing audio in front of you, so it's easy to see where you want to punch. If you don't know what a piece of audio is, use the real-time audio scrub, or press play, etc.

Rim

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Rim wrote:I would like to get a better understanding of why manual punch in would be useful. Auto punch is so easy to use, I can't see a reason someone would want to manually punch instead: go to the editor, and draw a range you want to punch, and press record.
For my own purposes, it would be useful as I sometimes use manual punch arbitrarily as I track someone in order to capture a great take. in other words I sometimes just choose manually to drop in and out of a take when the performer is shaping up to sing/play a part with an inspired rendition. in some cases, this is even without the performer actually being aware of what is being dropped in and out. this might sound a bit ad hoc/random and even a bit whacky, but when inspiration arrives or strikes, those few seconds of setting up drop I/o points can see that moment disappear.

while I do love and value predetermined recording ranges, when tracking overdubs on my desktop daw, 90% of the time I am holding my computer keyboard and punching the record button in real time rather than setting up predetermined i/o points

me, I just think it's a great option to have, specifically for those moments when the music is *just right* and you want to punch in as inspiration strikes. but I realise that's just my preferred method of working and many others' work flow methods may vary
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

to me it's all about muscle memory, and being hard wired to work this way, having worked with manual punch for years. Auto punch is great if you have to retake one section several times, or if youre working alone. But if you're punching in several sections then it becomes tedious because it feels like youre doing the entire manual punch-in process twice: set playhead, playback, define in point, define out, reset playhead, press record, press play. That's a whole lot of steps for something that could be done in 3-4 steps. But It's really the amount of playback time that makes the auto-punch process longer, apart from the extra steps. The waveforms do give us a clue as to where we wanna punch in, but i doubt anyone one would set an in and out point based on the waveform alone, without auditioning the part. Let's say im recording someone, he makes a mistake, requests a playback of that section, and tells me where he wants to take it from. Instead of just giving him a pre-roll, press play, and record the punch sections, the auto process would require me to preroll, set in and out points, then preroll again for the actual take.

But hey, because auria is an awesome piece of software, we're working with what we have. Just saying manual punch has its uses. If it comes then great. If not, oh well.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:31 am

starfugger wrote: Let's say im recording someone, he makes a mistake, requests a playback of that section, and tells me where he wants to take it from. Instead of just giving him a pre-roll, press play, and record the punch sections, the auto process would require me to preroll, set in and out points, then preroll again for the actual take.
That's pretty much what I was driving at. Equally important is that in the time it takes to set up that procedure, vibe, inspiration or just the right rhythm and cadence can be lost.
starfugger wrote:But hey, because auria is an awesome piece of software, we're working with what we have. Just saying manual punch has its uses. If it comes then great. If not, oh well.
Agreed...:)

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:24 am

sodium wrote:
That's pretty much what I was driving at. Equally important is that in the time it takes to set up that procedure, vibe, inspiration or just the right rhythm and cadence can be lost.
Yes, thought about that too. Manual punch is the de facto way of capturing a recording performance because it is intuitive and natural.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:31 am

I agree manual punch-in has its purposes. In modern DAW's, but also in the old cassette-tape times (Tascam 238), I learned to use (and enjoy) predefined punch-in quite a lot. But the foot pedal for quick and spontaneous punch-in was also important.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:30 am

OK, that makes sense. It's a pretty big undertaking in terms of coding, but I'll see how difficult it would be to add it in an update.

Thanks,
Rim

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:21 pm

Rim wrote:OK, that makes sense. It's a pretty big undertaking in terms of coding, but I'll see how difficult it would be to add it in an update.

Thanks,
Rim

thank you for considering it! :D

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Don't get me wrong, for when I'm working alone recording guitar or keys , etc, auto punch is perfect. When I'm working with other vocalist or players there are situations when quick punching in on the fly is just that, quick and sometime just more flexible. Sometimes a singer might want you to punch in the first part of a verse, punch them out and then punch them back in at the end of the verse and want to keep going to keep the continuity of the take or keep the vibe going. Or might want to punch them in and keep them in record mode until they signal you to punch out. As stated in another comment this has been around probably forever. To be honest this is the first DAW I've worked with without it. I started way back on a 4 track cassette and everything since. As far as ipad Daws go we all know Auria is the top app but before I graduated to Auria I used MultitrackDaw, Beatmaker2, Amplitube studio and others, all had auto and manual punching in. I can understand if writing the code is just too much ( well not that I can write code lol ) but if it could happen it would definitely get used.

( oh yeah ) sometimes people do their best take when they don't know you're recording them and you want to hit record and keep them in for an undetermined amount of time.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:03 am

seemless audio editing in general is very desirable for recording and composing. This would include no drop-outs when moving regions, locators, muting, adjusting trim handles etc.

don't know if it's possible but certainly desirable.
Last edited by mtingle on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:34 am

Thank you, Rim :)

mandozzi

Post by mandozzi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 am

I also really miss quick punch. Im always did punch by feeling, not by calculate sections before.
Thats one of the most bad things with Auria.