Anyone know how to accomplish a whammy type effect in Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

wayni
Expert

Anyone know how to accomplish a whammy type effect in Auria?

Post by wayni » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:33 am

My guitars do not have a whammy bar. I have JamUp standalone with the whammy pedal and can get ok results with it but what I am really wanting to do is find a way I can do it with automation inside of Auria. I have: Turnado, WOW, Saturn, and Timeless2 at my disposal.

I think I should be able to manipulate Timeless2 to do this work for me but am not certain how. Any ideas?

Strizbiz
Expert

Re: Anyone know how to accomplish a whammy type effect in Au

Post by Strizbiz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 am

Just a quick guess, maybe try the retune plugin. It's meant for mono vocal tracks but you can try it. It's automobile , not sure how it'll sound on guitar though.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:46 am

JamUp responds to midi input for the Whammy pedal so if you have a midi pedal or controller you can use that to control the Whammy pedal.

If you are trying to get a whammy bar sound, the pedal will not recreate the sound in the same way due to the mechanism that the guitar's spring system works. A pitchbend wheel might get you closer.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:21 am

Automate a parametric eq. :) a whammy pedal is essentially and equalizer which allows you to change the frequency curve or envelope when you step on it. try setting a peak filter with a narrow q to 900hz then move it upwards and downwards in the frequency range as fast as you would step on your whammy pedal.

Or get turnado :)

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I have Turnado and after reading some of its manual I think its pitch delay effect may be the ticket.

Aph
Expert

Post by Aph » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:52 pm

starfugger wrote:Automate a parametric eq. :) a whammy pedal is essentially and equalizer which allows you to change the frequency curve or envelope when you step on it. try setting a peak filter with a narrow q to 900hz then move it upwards and downwards in the frequency range as fast as you would step on your whammy pedal.
You're thinking of a wah-wah pedal 8)
iPad 6 (2018 9.7 inch)
iOS 13.4
Auria Pro 2.250 (upgraded from Auria)

starfugger
Expert

Post by starfugger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Aph wrote:
starfugger wrote:Automate a parametric eq. :) a whammy pedal is essentially and equalizer which allows you to change the frequency curve or envelope when you step on it. try setting a peak filter with a narrow q to 900hz then move it upwards and downwards in the frequency range as fast as you would step on your whammy pedal.
You're thinking of a wah-wah pedal 8)
Lol, that was stupid. In that case, scratch that. I cant see how turnado can work either. i fiddled with the pitch delay for a bit, and nada so far But because i made such a huge fool of myself, i'll constantly be on the look out for a solution to this one. :lol:

Update: it's not perfect but if on the fly controlled pitch shifting is what you need, then voice synth might be what you're looking for. It comes up as an iaa in auria. I bought this a while back but haven't really tested it completely till now. I know it accepts built in mic audio, have yet to check if i can run a guitar through this. Iaa works perfectly so i GUESS it can accept audio from an interface hooked up to auria. Will test with a guitar soon.

As of the moment i can't get a natural-sounding input, but the quality is good enough, and i am able to pitch shift in real time in either steps or freely. There are some artifacts of course, but the pitch shifting capability is awesome :)

There's also shredder which is a guitar synth so the input quality MIGHT be better but i dont own it so i can't really be sure, and i also don't if it can do pitch shifting the same way voice synth does, but i do know it does chord pitch shifting. Hope this helps.

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks. I never considered Voice Synth but I have that one and can give it a shot. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and there are some options there for me for sure. :)

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:37 pm

martygras wrote:JamUp responds to midi input for the Whammy pedal so if you have a midi pedal or controller you can use that to control the Whammy pedal.

If you are trying to get a whammy bar sound, the pedal will not recreate the sound in the same way due to the mechanism that the guitar's spring system works. A pitchbend wheel might get you closer.

Yea, the whammy pedal in jamup might get you what you're looking for but it's a little tricky without a midi expression pedal. I don't have an expression pedal yet but will get one soon. If jamup was inter app audio compatible it would be easier to do it in post. Truth is, nothing like a real whammy bar. You can get a cheap squire strat off of Craig's list for $80 to $100 bucks just to get the vibe down if a real strat is too much for you.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 am

Just so happens they have Squier Affinity Series Strats at the local pawn shop for $70. Project guitar. :)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 am

wayni wrote:Just so happens they have Squier Affinity Series Strats at the local pawn shop for $70. Project guitar. :)
Cool. That's probably the best way to learn how to customize guitars, and what makes them tick... and buzz. :)
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)