Auria 48khz recording problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Auria 48khz recording problem

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:01 am

@Rim: Thanks for the confirmation.

@Stewartludwig: Thanks for your encouragement but I'll wait a while longer :wink: I'm looking forward to hearing any news that you may get (from Roland?). Having said that, if it's out of Rim's hands to make it work with Auria at anything other than 44.1, then I'll stick with Focusrite for the timebeing.

Stewartludwig
Expert

Post by Stewartludwig » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:54 pm

Still waiting on a Roland reply. There support sure is slow given that they advertise 24/7 support and its been 2 full days since I submitted my first enquiry.

I not going away until I get a full explanation. I have also contacted the other IOS software guys for there story to.

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm

Spud wrote:Select when connecting to a tablet device.
There is no need to install the included USB driver.
In this mode, the DUO-CAPTURE EX operates on power from the batteries or the optional
AC adaptor.
The sampling frequency is fixed at 44.1 kHz.
'Nuff said. Case closed. With Multitrack DAW, and some other apps, if you set your rec freq to 48 or 96 - but send a 44.1 signal, the software automatically reverts to 44.1. Capture some audio at "48" with MTD and the DUO EX, and then export it to your computer with Dropbox. Examine the properties of the audio file and you'll find that it was actually recorded at 44.1. The problem you've encountered is that these programs don't inform you that they're defaulting to the detected frequency. Quality gear will let you know when it can't do what you're asking :)

Auria lets you know by choosing death over ignoring incompatability. :)

I've used a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 extensively with Auria, MTD, and several other ios recording apps. The interface supports 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and A 96 kHz. Auria works wonderfully with all of them. Most others do, too; however, if I send a fixed 44.1 signal into MTD and set it to record on anything other than 44.1 - it reverts to 44.1 without telling me. This "problem"(?) could warrant some code in Auria to the effect of a warning when incorrect freq is detected... but it's so rarely encountered on just a handful of interfaces that Rim's time would probably be better utilized by making sure the Faderport works both ways ;) Also, the limitation of the interface is clearly documented in the manual. If they tell me that it's fixed at 44.1, I'm sticking with 44.1!

Stewartludwig
Expert

Post by Stewartludwig » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:13 am

Yea, just to bad " in the manual" is just that. Roland says nothing on there website about this limit, even today on there specification, details or about pages nor even on the darn box. Also, when I bought it they didn't have a manual on the website either as they do now. So in effect I had to buy the product to get the manual to read the 10th page where the limit is listed inside a paragraph. To bad I did not read for it for 6 months as I don't read any manual until I have to.

In my personal opinion this limit should be pasted on there web site, packaging and in the manual. It's called full disclosure and only then would I consider it clear. Since its being sold for ipad use I would consider anything related to ipad recording extremely relevant and nothing is more relevant than rate and bit depth. Also, I think it would be good if Auria had a " signal not compatible" warning if only for the simple reason that Rim won't be bothered by yet again another signal compatibility issue when there is no warning. As stated earlier, I am now fully aware of what it sounds like when there not compatible.

Its not just Roland alone but most all apps and interfaces for IOS recording suffer from a lack of full disclosure. It's a pretty sad state of affairs at present.

Still nothing from Roland regarding my support enquires.

Stewartludwig
Expert

Post by Stewartludwig » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Roland's support update:

They regret that it wasn't clear about the 44.1 limits regarding iPad recording and they are " looking" into the matter to see if it can be made clearer. Let review: Its not mentioned on the box, not on the Roland Duo EX website overview, details or specification page either. So yes, both legally and morally speaking that's pretty damn unclear to most anyone. Oh yes, its is found hidden away on page ten in the manual that you get only after you purchase the product.

Truly Pathetic Roland. My next audio purchase will have to be from a more "honourable" company.
:evil: