Ipad Air 128GB and Auria V Mac Mini and Pro Logic X

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

blake

Re: Ipad Air 128GB and Auria V Mac Mini and Pro Logic X

Post by blake » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm

mrufino1 thanks for the advice. 30 audio tracks sounds pretty busy to me so that shouldn't be a problem. What do you mean by freezing tracks?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:28 pm

The well written manual can explain it better than I can so here's a link to the manual.
http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-support

Page 42 & 43 explain the basics of freezing tracks and how they affect editing.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

blake

Post by blake » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up martygras :)

Strizbiz
Expert

Post by Strizbiz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:40 am

Blake, anything going into Auria is going to be converted to digital audio, wether it's your Fantom, vocals , guitar or using any of the available ipad instruments ( and there are a lot of good ones out there) so don't think of it in terms as your Fantom using more memory. Actually it would use less CPU processing ( while recording ) than if you used an iOS synth but if you had an Ipad air and some good synths I'm guessing outside of using it to play the IOS synths you might not miss the sounds coming out of the Fantom that much. I'm still on an ipad 2 ( yep lol ) and I just did a song that had 27 tracks. Not every track called for insert effects but if they did you can freeze tracks ( apply the eq or fx to the track and disable the plugin to free up memory, and unfreeze to make changes ) . I had 6 tracks of background vocals bussed thru 1 fader letting me just use 1 instance of eq and compression on all 6, and roughly 16 tracks I had different eq, compression and other effects. Other tracks just needed the sound levels adjusted. After the fact I decided I wanted a bridge where the guitar solo was and was able to copy and rearrange notes and make one without having to re track 20 tracks of music. I actually could have added a lot more tracks if the song called for it. All this on an ipad 2 so imagine what you could do with an ipad air.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

blake

Post by blake » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Strizbiz,
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning more toward the Ipad Air. My doubts about it's limitations are getting less and less the more I read threads and get great feedback from forum members like yourself.

If I buy an Ipad Air and Auria can I just use the effects processors included in Auria to produce quality mixes without having to purchase tons of other plugins just to get a great sounding mix?

Thanks.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:11 am

The included stuff is plenty to get started with, the additional IAP plugins are icing really.

The standard install of Auria comes with a channel strip which has a gate/expander, a paramatric EQ, and a compressor. There is aslo a master strip with a brick wall limiter. You get two types of reverb, including the excellent convolution engine, PSP delay, and PSP chorus. So that should include most things you need to get going right away.

The extra plugins are really nice though, mostly because they offer you more options, but they are not essential.

blake

Post by blake » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 am

Thanks Richard.
Does Auria have midi sync?
If not are there other ways of syncing to Auria?
Also is audiobus a must have app? I would definately be purchasing the Korg Electribe and Ms20 apps?

Thanks.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 am

Yes, Auria can sync clocks with other apps, especially handy for drums and sequenced parts. And Audiobus is absolutely essential if you want to make music on iOS, without it you would be very limited indeed.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:51 am

A friend of mine showed me the Logic Pro Drummer plugin; iOS has nothing (yet) that can match it. One of the biggest draw backs for me making music on iOS is an easy way to track acoustic drums without a real drummer. I was blown away by the Logic Pro Drummer plug. Definitely something to consider if you want some flexibility and fluidity in your drum tracks.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Blake,

I currently use Fl Studio. Since you use PC it is a PC only DAW or can be used via Mac boot camp. One of the best midi sequencers to date. It's the easiest to use. I bought protools in the past which is great but can be very technical. I do my mixing and mastering on Auria. Such a joy. I have the best of both worlds however, if I could do it again, I would have mastered Logic Pro. Your one stop shop, no need to export files, just do all your production, mixing and mastering on the same unit at a pro level. Audio recording and mixing is a pain with fl studio however as mentioned before, production is killer on fl studio. Although, it takes a good time to learn it which I don't have, I've been on fl studio for a bit. It's best to do what you feel comfortable with, what suits your work flow. I do admit that the Auria and iPad is fantastic for mobility and convenience. If you are doing the iPad Auria route, I would wait till they release a better iPad with more ram and CPU and rumor has it the next iPad will have a bigger screen and possibly more ram. I easily overload my projects even with modest CPU settings (I own a iPad 4). That is because Auria is so freakin awesome. So easy to use and if the iPad was powered by more of a super hardware, it would be a monster. Auria is a great way to start learning the concept if mixing. It is like a vintage simple to use virtual console. Touch screen is the best and I doubt you can do touch screen audio editing on Logic Pro with its iPad touch integrated virtual mixer. I would not use audio bus and Auria since it's a bit of a nightmare. If you can use a separate sequencer it would be better or simply use logic as an all in one go to. May I suggest Nanostudio, it is the best midi software in terms of basic midi and audio sample sequencer for iPad and iPhone.

Cheers!!

blake

Post by blake » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:17 pm

jsol wrote:Hi Blake,

I currently use Fl Studio. Since you use PC it is a PC only DAW or can be used via Mac boot camp. One of the best midi sequencers to date. It's the easiest to use. I bought protools in the past which is great but can be very technical. I do my mixing and mastering on Auria. Such a joy. I have the best of both worlds however, if I could do it again, I would have mastered Logic Pro. Your one stop shop, no need to export files, just do all your production, mixing and mastering on the same unit at a pro level. Audio recording and mixing is a pain with fl studio however as mentioned before, production is killer on fl studio. Although, it takes a good time to learn it which I don't have, I've been on fl studio for a bit. It's best to do what you feel comfortable with, what suits your work flow. I do admit that the Auria and iPad is fantastic for mobility and convenience. If you are doing the iPad Auria route, I would wait till they release a better iPad with more ram and CPU and rumor has it the next iPad will have a bigger screen and possibly more ram. I easily overload my projects even with modest CPU settings (I own a iPad 4). That is because Auria is so freakin awesome. So easy to use and if the iPad was powered by more of a super hardware, it would be a monster. Auria is a great way to start learning the concept if mixing. It is like a vintage simple to use virtual console. Touch screen is the best and I doubt you can do touch screen audio editing on Logic Pro with its iPad touch integrated virtual mixer. I would not use audio bus and Auria since it's a bit of a nightmare. If you can use a separate sequencer it would be better or simply use logic as an all in one go to. May I suggest Nanostudio, it is the best midi software in terms of basic midi and audio sample sequencer for iPad and iPhone.

Cheers!!
Wow!

Thanks jsol. Nice to get as many perspectives as possible before spending my hard earned cash.

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Ur welcome

Dmjbetz

Post by Dmjbetz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:27 am

@jsol, great thread. I've asked on a few forums about mastering? How do you Master a tune on Auria? Is there a pull tab I'm not seeing in the MENU, or could it be because I only have the LE version? Thanks

jsol
Expert

Post by jsol » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:19 am

Mastering is based on on your plugins. Export your mix on a separate track or new project to conserve space. Make sure you have headroom. Start with a compressor, maybe some eq depending if your mix is well balanced and a limiter. All on your master bus. The rest is just trial and error. You can reference other music to see where you are at. Sorry for the delayed response. I do not get notifications when someone posts a reply.

Cheers,

JSol.