64GB or 128GB?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pasternak

64GB or 128GB?

Post by pasternak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:20 pm

I want to buy an 4th gen ipad to dedicate solely to Auria recording. And I am trying to figure out how much flash memory to buy. Can someone give me a very rough idea how many minutes of uninterrupted recording (8 simultaneous mic tracks) I might be able to cram into 64GB? Any one here sorry they didn't spring for 128GB?

rocdok
Expert

Re: 64GB or 128GB?

Post by rocdok » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Can't answer your question but I'm buying 128 tomorrow! I've always been disappointed when I cheaped out every blank time with all devices in the past. I would assume you will have a zillion music apps and maybe music and other things? I have only 16 gigs to spare on my ipad 3 -64 gig and that's after sacrificing all my games and anything else I figured I would download as needed. 128 is worth it.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Hey there. So my brother and I are doing a full length album on the iPad, I have a 64gb 4th gen and he has a 128gb Air. I do all the recording of the instruments all at 96K (and my brother does all the mixing on his), some of the projects are pushing up to 45 or 46 tracks already. The file sizes are huge and at this point, I can't store all the projects on mine...so I simply have to keep swapping projects to a computer via ifunbox, whereas my brother can safely store everything on his 128. We're pushing the limits of all this stuff and ours is an extreme case, really.

We, too, have iPads dedicated to nothing but recording. I used 8 tracks just to record drums.
The point is 64gb is A LOT of space but if you see yourself being as ridiculous as I am, then get the 128.
To answer your question, I'm not sure but at 44K you should be able to record continuously for hours, I would guess...
Yeah, it'd be nice to keep all the projects on my iPad and not have to swap projects back-and-forth on the computer… But it is what it is.
Hope this helps!

pasternak

Post by pasternak » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Very helpful reply, drock! I video tape live jazz performances in my studio. I work with a trio most of the time. Drums get two mics. Piano and upright bass each get one. Add one or two more mic tracks for guests. A recording session rarely goes over two hours. And I seriously doubt that I'd ever need more than 8 simultaneous tracks. I'd move the session data to external storage after mixing it. Meaning, the only data on the ipad will be the most current session. Based on the information you've given me here, it seems 64GB is plenty for my purposes.

I hoping to save a couple hundred by settling for 64gb in a refurbished Ipad.

Many thanks!