Drum loops running hot

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rocdok
Expert

Drum loops running hot

Post by rocdok » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:57 pm

I didn't see anything about this in my reading here. I recorded from drum studio and drums xd into Auria, both of which I like a lot and with recording levels are default, these tracks seemed to be nicely near peak and not into the red. I bought a bunch of drum loops in app and loaded them amongst the drum studio and drums xd (i lost 2 tracks somewhere in the drum studio tracking case you notice in the vid) and they landed waaaay into the red. Here is a vid of all the tracks ( I played all at once even though they are separate beats and sound like a mishmash purposefully FYI) and wondering why these loops from hd, platinum and big rock run so hot. Do I run compression and just reduce the gain if I use em?
http://vimeo.com/84182654

MrNezumi
Expert

Re: Drum loops running hot

Post by MrNezumi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 am

Auria can handle things pretty hot, but you may want to reduce the recording level: long press the red recording button and a recording level knob appears. Lower the recording level and you are good to go.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:26 am

The commercial loops have been recorded and processed to be really hot, but they don't clip when the fader is left at 0. In other words they've been recorded and processed to use the full dynamic range available without clipping. I just bring them down using their channel fader. Make sure you have metering set to post fader in settings which will show the level as you lower the fader. No need to use compression or anything else.

I think. :)
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 am

IMHO the IAP drum loops should not have been maxed out. It makes it difficult to apply effects to those tracks later without causing level problems for me. The loops are very limited in scope as well. Yes there are folders for different BPM, but there's way too many duplicate beats with little variation making them fairly useless to me. There's also several loops in there that are completely useless unless you're going to record a "cymbal solo".
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 pm

martygras wrote:IMHO the IAP drum loops should not have been maxed out. It makes it difficult to apply effects to those tracks later without causing level problems for me. The loops are very limited in scope as well. Yes there are folders for different BPM, but there's way too many duplicate beats with little variation making them fairly useless to me. There's also several loops in there that are completely useless unless you're going to record a "cymbal solo".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Thx for all the replies.....kinda thought so. Gonna mess with drums xd, drum studio and dm1 apps thx.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:16 pm

He'll yes! Just got Drums XD last night on recommendation from peeps on the audio bus forum.
This is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)