Very low output volume from Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Very low output volume from Auria

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:17 am

OK, thanks for the testing. I was using headphones plugged into Auria when I was testing, which is probably why I hadn't seen this issue. I've re-added this to my list to investigate for 1.14.

Rim

notofme

Post by notofme » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 pm

I have the same issue. There seems to be very very very low output sound while recording. I would love to use this program, but I had to do the session in GarageBand due to this low output volume issue. Your help is very much appreciated.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:01 am

Low input audio would not be related to this issue. If you're getting a low signal in your recorded track, this is typically a number of other things, like setting your record level.

Rim

Luciano1084

Post by Luciano1084 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 am

Any idea as to what this could be?????? In order to use the app I have to higher the master volume almost all the way up which could clip and distort.. What's up with this man?

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I bet if someone having this issue made a short video clip of them recreating the low volume output Rim could track down the problem pretty quick.

Just a thought..

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:52 pm

One solution to this is to use the Limiter on the main buss. For those of us lucky enough to have ProL this is done very easily. I set mine to a K12 meter and do my recording and mixing at that level. Also set the output level -1-2 db below the maximum level so as not to clip. This allows your tracks to remain at the level that is safe or below clipping while giving you much more volume to work with. In some cases 6db. Hope this helped. Cheers.

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:47 pm

I had the same low output issue on my iPad 2...and, unfortunately, the issue still persists on my iPad 4, even with its volume set to max. No effects patched in...I'm still on iOS 6.1.3, though I seriously doubt that "upgrading" to iOS 7.0.6 will resolve the issue.

Adding MicroWarmer on the Output channel does bump up the volume somewhat, but I'd rather not have to use it until I'm ready to mix or master, as the sound is being colored too soon. I'll probably get the ProL next time the 50% discount rolls around. OTOH, hopefully the issue will be resolved before then.... :?:

pandeiro42

Post by pandeiro42 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:48 am

Hi – I just bought Auria for my iPad 2 and am having the same playback volume issues as other posters here. My headphone and speaker volume is fine on all other apps, and the recording levels in Auria are normal. However, I’m getting incredibly low playback volume in the headphones and the internal speaker, and nothing for monitoring.

Here’s a thing: I tried it on ‘The Approach’, with very odd results. The following tracks had normal volume and responded normally in the mixer:

9: Guitar 1
10: Keys
11: Congas
18: Chorus vox

*All* the rest had the volume problem: so were almost inaudible and barely responded to faders in the mixer. It made the song sound very odd – all “Wop-waah-ooh” and congas!

Anyway, I hope this piece of info helps you work out what is going wrong. I love the app (I’ve been using it with a friend for months), but I’ve just spent £35 and it’s really unusable while this issue persists.

Thanks.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat May 17, 2014 4:40 am

Using "The Approach" as a test is a great idea but make sure you use an unmodified copy. If you're anything like me, you'll have used it to experiment with and explore Auria. In doing so you probably changed it. Download a fresh copy from 'Menu -> Auria Store -> Demo Projects'. It's free!

It would help diagnosis if you gave more info about your setup (i.e. iOS version, audio interface, whether Audiobus or IAA is involved, etc.).

Consider which effects you're using that might be influencing output volume. Also look at subgroups.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat May 17, 2014 6:30 am

Have you made sure that "Built-In Speaker/Mic Processing" is turned on in Auria's settings page? It sounds like it might be turned off.

Rim

pandeiro42

Post by pandeiro42 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:28 am

Thanks both for the suggestions.

Rim - I might be being daft, but I can't see "built-in speaker / mic processing" in the settings. The settings at the moment are:
Show CPU meter Yes
Auto-crossfade Enable
Ripple edit Global
Project auto-cleanup Off
AAF export stereo Normal
Audiobus mode Off
Audiobus live monitoring Off
App background audio mode Off
Device linking Off

Use 64-bit mixer No
Knob mode Linear
Meter type Peak
Playback metering Pre-fader
Solo safe mode Enable
Aux relay compression Off

Record monitor On
Record latency 256
Disk buffer Normal
Disable effects while recording No
Record Latency Adjustment 0
Usb soft start On

MIDI inputs Receive notes
MIDI outputs Send notes
Remote protocol Mackie MCU
MMC Devoce ID 1
Send MIDI start and stop Yes
Send MIDI song position pointer Yes

The version of 'The Approach' was definitely unmodified: I only opened it to test the sound issue, so there shouldn't be any changes. I'll try re-loading in case though.

The iOS is 5.1.1, the interface is Apogee Jam, I wasn't using audiobus etc. I'd got as far as setting up and recording a single track when it became clear there was a problem of some kind. It's pronounced when recorded clean, with no FX.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun May 18, 2014 1:26 pm

OK, I didn't know you were on 5.11 (that setting only appears in iOS 6 and above). I assume you're using an iPad 1? If you're not, I strongly recommend updating to the latest iOS version. If you are using an iPad 1, I'm not exactly sure why you're having this volume issue, as iPad 1 shouldn't be affected by that issue. I'll see if we can test this again for the next update cycle.

Rim

pandeiro42

Post by pandeiro42 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Ah, yes - it's an iPad 1. My mistake... Okay, so it's just a matter of waiting to see if there's a fix in the next update?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun May 18, 2014 3:25 pm

I wonder if this has anything to do with the order in which the Apogee Jam and the headphones are plugged in. I have a recollection that, when using that combo myself (on an iPad3), plugging/unplugging the headphones while the Jam was connected caused a reduction in playback volume. I don't recall the exact circumstances to be able to replicate it without experimentation. However, closing all apps and powering the iPad down and up again always returned things to normal. I learned not to plug or unplug anything (to the iPad itself) while Auria was running was the best way to avoid the situation.

As for "...and nothing for monitoring", do you mean that the meter registers input but you get silence when monitoring record enabled tracks? If so, check 'Menu -> Settings -> Record (Tab) -> Record Monitor'. It needs to be on.

[Edited for clarity]

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun May 18, 2014 3:36 pm

my apogee jam stopped working with Auria one day. never knew if it was an iOS update, Auria update or the hardware itself but it now sits collecting dust on some shelf...