Still no right signal when recording in stereo?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mjhiom86
Expert

Still no right signal when recording in stereo?

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi, this only happens when using my external audio interface, and I get only a very weak signal through the right channel of a stereo track.

I have tried the previously suggested work around, of checking the record effects option after holding the record enable button. But this doesn't solve the issue, and anyway, I read in the forum that the bug had been fixed in a previous auria update.

I am on an iPad air, obviously with ios 7, and the up to date auria app.

I would recommend that other people just use a mono track as standard practice when recording, however, I do need to record in stereo. In this instance to then perform a stereo split mix down, turning two panned signals into two separate tracks, another useful trick with limited hardware for recoding a live performance, which enables you to have 3 channels instead of just 2, with the addition of a hardware mixer to pan two signals through a single stereo output!

Thanks,
Matt

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Still no right signal when recording in stereo?

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:49 pm

I haven't seen this issue - recording in stereo works fine in Auria here. Have you checked your input matrix to make sure you've assigned the inputs to the proper tracks?

Rim

mjhiom86
Expert

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for your response!

Yes I did play with this, to no avail, on the input matrix display, channels 1 and 2 are activated here, but the signals read the same as on the track itself, with full signal on channel 1, and some, but little signal on 2.

I also tried different cables and stuff.

Any other software suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:41 pm

@mjhiom86: What model audio interface are you using? Please excuse me if you've already detailed this in another thread.

mjhiom86
Expert

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm

No I didn't sorry, it's the focusrite scarlet 2i2, it's not officially supported, but after reports of people using it successfully with this set up I went for that! It seems to be functioning fine, otherwise! Thanks again!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:58 pm

So, when you say the 2i2 functions fine otherwise, do you mean you can record stereo fine with another app? If you don't have another recording app, download "Tape by Focusrite". It's simple and it's free! Process of elimination :)

mjhiom86
Expert

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:09 pm

It does, but the only way to record stereo in tape is to select channel 1 twice, so don't know if that's tested it properly really..

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:25 pm

You should be seeing "Input 1" and "Input 2" as available inputs to record in Tape. If not, your 2i2 is possibly not configured correctly. I don't have hands-on experience with the 2i2 so I'll need to check the User Guide.

EDIT: It seems the 2i2 isn't configurable (doesn't need it). Are you using an Apple-branded CCK/USB cable?
Last edited by Washboy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjhiom86
Expert

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:30 pm

You know what I think I've confused myself here. I'm using a single input, so this is mono I guess? But does that mean I'm getting significant leaked signal into channel 2? I would still expect a stereo track to have even levels from a single input or does it not work like that?

I don't think I'm able to turn these 2 inputs into 3 for post production, I'll just have to get the levels right before I record.

mjhiom86
Expert

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Yep, got the two channels in tape, thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

Another quicky or two, please if you don't mind..

Is there no possible way to just pick up the sound output of other apps, if they are not supported for the inter app thing?

And will WMA file support be added at any point, as this would make my life easier not having to convert via other means?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:00 pm

When you configure an app to record in stereo, you need to have something plugged in to both left and right inputs on your audio interface. If you only have something plugged into channel one, you'll only see levels for channel one. If you're seeing a small signal on the other channel, this is leakage inside your interface (this is normal, depending on the gain setting).

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 pm

My understanding is that, other than using IAA or Audiobus, the only way to record the audio output of an app is to use a physical cable from the headphone jack to an audio interface. I've never done it but I'm sure someone else can give chapter and verse. Do you use Audiobus already? Loads of apps are Audiobus compatible.

As for WMA: a bit of Googling suggests OPlayerHD app. It may be of some help, depending on your exact requirements. I would think that Apple are unlikely to provide native iOS support for WMA and other Microsoft formats any time soon :wink:

mjhiom86
Expert

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Got it, that's my fault after being on old cubase for years which just doubled up a mono input stereo track, but it never made any difference, or sense, and just doubled up the file size I guess, so this way makes more sense!

Thanks for your help and sorry for wasting your time.

Any chance you could answer my 2 questions in my last post?? Seem odd I know, but would help me out, although I assume the answers would be no, and no.

mjhiom86
Expert

Post by mjhiom86 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:22 pm

Great thanks so much! I wanted to convert WMA files to use in Capriccio, which has functions that I need for my work, and there's no other way of converting them solely using the iPad or with Cydia.

And I wanted to pass VLC through auria with the audioubus, but it's not supported don't think, but thanks for the headphone output tip!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Further to my last: the headphones out advice is rubbish! Sorry. The iPad's headphone jack is disabled when a USB audio device is connected. However, I've just tried it and it works to loopback the audio interface's outputs to its inputs. I used a cable. Of course, you're going from digital to analog and back to digital - it's not ideal and it's fiddly but it works. Good luck!