Apogee Duet 2 vs Duet for iPad

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JoeyOz

Apogee Duet 2 vs Duet for iPad

Post by JoeyOz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:04 am

Ok, so I just realized there is two versions of the Duet, Duet 2 and Duet for iPad. The Duet for iPad is much more expensive, is there a reason for this? Will the Duet 2 NOT work on iPad? If it does, is there a difference in quality?
Thanks for any info I can get, I'm ready to get Auria up and running but need to figure out which Duet to purchase.

Phil999
Expert

Re: Apogee Duet 2 vs Duet for iPad

Post by Phil999 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:47 am

check out the Apogee website.

Airyck
Expert

Post by Airyck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:03 pm

As far as I know, the Duet 2 will charge the iPad while plugged in but the Duet will not because it requires you use the camera connection kit. The Duet 2 has a direct connection as it's made to work specifically with iOS devices. There may be other things but thats the major one in relation to the iPad.

Depends on what you need too. I simply needed an audio/midi connection that allowed me to route midi and audio to and from my DAW (on my iMac) as needed. I went with the iConnect MIDI 2 ($80 or so I think) which allows MIDI in and out but also Audio pass through (no degradation in quality) from computer to iOS device or vice versa. If you purchase the power adaptor for it it also charges the iPad. Perfect for what I needed since I'm not trying to record external instruments into the iPad.

opoteat

Post by opoteat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 pm

I can confirm that the Apogee Duet for iPad does charge the iPad when connected. But, only if you connect the Duet to power via the supplied power supply. My only regret from purchasing the Duet for iPad is not going ahead and spending the extra $$ for the Quartet instead, because the ADAT allows easily adding additional mic inputs for drum recording etc. But the quality of the mic pres and the clarity of the monitoring environment is stellar.
Stuff: Apogee Duet, iPad4 128gb, Auria + about all plugins
---------------------
Songs are at http://www.soundcloud.com/OwenPoteat or http://www.OwenPoteat.com

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:59 am

There are 3 versions:

1) The Duet (1) is Firewire and is of no relevance here.
2) The Duet 2 may work with iPad using a USB hub, but it may not. It certainly won't charge the iPad and doesn't have a Midi port. It probably won't work with the Maestro app on iPad and therefore the original Duet 2 is unlikely to be anything other than a waste of money for you, if iPad use is what you need.
3) The Duet 2 for iPad - well, it works with the iPad. It is MFi - made for iOS devices.

The reason the original Duet 2 is a lot cheaper is because they are being sold off. There is no need for Apogee to make both versions, as the most recent version works with both Mac as well as iPad.

I can't advise you to save money and buy the earlier version, I don't think it will be satisfactory. It may be useless.

Dominic