I think that my query has something to do with midi

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

G-master G
Expert

I think that my query has something to do with midi

Post by G-master G » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:47 pm

Hello there.

Here is what I want to achieve:

Brass and strings on the recordings that I have done to date on Auria.

Here is my problem:

I don't play brass and I don't play strings.

Here is my question:

How do I do it?

Thanks

Grant

richardyot
Expert

Re: I think that my query has something to do with midi

Post by richardyot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:48 am

It's easily achievable with apps such as BS16i, Soundfont Pro, or SampleTank. Music Studio also includes some orchestral instruments.

For example here is a sample I created with BS16i using a soundfont that is readily and freely available on the internet (Sonatina orchestra):

https://soundcloud.com/richardyot/auria ... s-sonatina

Alternatively if you want a really simple solution you can buy Sampletank and then buy the IAP of the Miroslav orchestra.

Another alternative, using the same Sonatina soundfont in my example, that also comes bundled with the Music Studio app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0USY5AMywM

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 am

I think the Sampletank app with the IAP of Miraslav Orchestra (as Richard recommends above) will give you the best sounding results with the most ease. Some apps have a few good sounds and the rest kinda stink, but Sampletank seems to have a reasonable version of each orchestra instrument. Nothing amazing sounding, but all very useable.

I'll have to check out Soundfont pro Richard. Sounds cool.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:08 am

Actually I personally prefer the free Sonatina soundfont (that you can play in either BS16i or Soundfont Pro) to the Miroslav IAP in Sampletank, however going the Sampletank route is easier since it doesn't require installing the samples manually. The manual install is pretty easy with iFunBox so it's not really a big deal. Also it's worth reiterating that Music Studio also uses the Sonatina soundfont so that's another hassle-free option.

You can compare the Sonatina samples here:

https://soundcloud.com/richardyot/auria ... s-sonatina

To the Sampletank Miroslav ones here:

https://soundcloud.com/richardyot/auria ... k-miroslav

Both those audio files have had a touch of convolution reverb added in Auria to give them an orchestral feel.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 am

Well if, like me, you REALLY don't know what you're doing, I found that GarageBand on iPad is really pretty good for strings if you don't mind being limited to the various fairly standard patterns and your chord progressions are not too quick.

I have once done a more complex job by individually tracking the different strings (violin, cello, double bass etc.) to make a whole, and using the 'bowing' technique to make it sound less sampled. The sound was good, but the arrangement itself sucked - so a lot of work and it's going in the AudioBin - like AudioBus, but for people who make lots of mistakes ;)

When I used the generic strings as a play-out on a track by using one of the standard patterns, I got loads of positive feedback, so I'd recommend this. Dump your track on to GarageBand (there are probably better ways of doing this, but I use a cheap app called Music2Bus via AudioBus) and then add the strings on. Delete off your track and email out just the stings as an MP3 or whatever to drop into your Auria project.

For some reason, GarageBand only goes on AudioBus as an output app, not as an input app. I don't know about IAA as I've not been brave enough to update my iPad in the middle of an Auria project (I'll finish it soon..!), but this slightly clunky method is the only way I've found to get stuff using the (very good) smart instruments on GarageBand on to Auria.

If you've not got GarageBand yet, it's only £3 and lots of fun. You can't get proper mixes on it, but it's really quick to work up a demo track and I still use the smart instruments for things I can't play.

GarageBand may not particularly help you with the brass. There is a keyboard on GarageBand with '80's Brass' on it, but it's a pretty nasty sound if you're looking for something that actually sounds like brass.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 am

The trouble with Garageband is that you are really limited in what you can do. Using a sampler app lets you play a lot more varied stuff, and believe me it really isn't difficult :) I was able to make the samples I posted above in minutes, and that's without really being able to play the keyboard at all. I can barely play the guitar, the keyboard even less so.

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 am

Thank you for the samples. This is exactly what I want to be able to do. And you have done this with Sample Tank? Does ST have an ediroll function or does it just have the keyboard that you play?

Cheers

Grant

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:26 am

If you need a piano roll editor then the only all-in-one solution is Music Studio - if you watch the Youtube video I linked to above you can see it has a piano roll editor and it comes with the full Sonatina orchestra. It's also on sale at the moment.

Otherwise you can use Sampletank, BS16i, or Soundfont Pro in conjunction with Cubasis or BM2 and record the MIDI into them for further editing before recording the audio. You would then need to copy and paste each track into Auria.
Last edited by richardyot on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:40 am

Music Studio is impressive. Thank you for the link to you tube. I think that I will purchase it. Cheers. Grant.

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks to all who have patiently provided responses to my relatively basic and entry-level questions. Last night marked a milestone for me in that I was able to record guitar, vocals and keys simultaneously onto separate tracks in Auria via my Scarlett 18i6.

All four of us played along to a basic drum beat that I had created in Nano-Studio and imported to a 5th track in Auria.

And then the piece de resistance was to be able to record into Auria via Audiobus brass and string arrangements in Music Studio which I controlled externally with an old midi keyboard.

Tonight I intend to create backing tracks for live performance that I can then use with an app called SyncInside which will channel a click track to all of the musos whilst routing the recorded backing tracks to the front of house speakers.

We begin practice in 3 weeks' time and I can't wait to reveal the new backing ensemble to the rest of the band.

It has taken me 6 months to get to this point and I feel very satisfied.

Thanks to all involved.

Grant