Is 16GB iPad enough? HELP

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JoeyOz

Is 16GB iPad enough? HELP

Post by JoeyOz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi, I just bought a 16GB iPad Mini Retina that I plan to run Auria with Apogee Duet. Will 16GB be enough??

I will only be recording vocals over instrumentals if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any help in this matter, I cant seem to find any good answers on the web.

supanorton
Expert

Re: Is 16GB iPad enough? HELP

Post by supanorton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 am

16 gigs will be fine as long as you don't mind backing up to a computer every so often. I have a 64 gig iPad 2, and Auria is currently using 16.5 gigs. I've usually got about 15 projects with anywhere from 8-20 tracks apiece in Auria. I've also got a few folders of drum loops as well. I have several other music/recording apps that take up another 12 or 13 gigs.

I'm just a hobbyist, working on mostly originals, recording a few nights per week. I have to back projects up to my computer and external hard drives about once per month to keep at least 10 gigs of free space on my iPad. That's just a random number I decided on. I'm not sure if there's a recommended free space "safe zone".

It really depends on how much you plan on doing. If you don't mind backing up, which you should do anyway, it's not really a big deal. It's very easy to back up Auria projects to a computer with a program called ifunbox, just drag and drop. Hope this helps.

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:11 am

Get a 32gb if you can afford it. Obviously you'll be running other apps and honetly as they get better they est more space. As far as Auria i had many sections to a single song and well, I had less than 1gb available. Even with 32gb you have to backup as you go. So 32gb and up if possible. If not then be ready to be backing up after each project and making space in your dropbox every now and then.

ppaul
Expert

Post by ppaul » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:29 am

It's very easy to back up Auria projects to a computer with a program called ifunbox, just drag and drop. Hope this helps.

Hi Guilleonline, when you save your projects, are they the multi-track files or the stereo mix?
Cheers, Paul

JoeyOz

Post by JoeyOz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks for your response everyone! I guess I'll just have to try it out with backing it up often.

Anyone using the Apogee Duet? I was recommended it as the best interface for recording pro quality on an iPad, anyone that can back that up or know of any better interfaces?

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 pm

I would say it's one of the best solutions for the iPad at the moment. And I'm also working with 16 GB iPads by the way.

The Duet 2 is not expandable like the RME BabyFace, but if you're recording only one or two sources at the same time it's perfect. The USB MIDI port was a good decision from Apogee I think. Very useful for mobile minimal setups. Three tasks are done with the Duet 2: driver app for important settings, MIDI hub (in and out), and power supply for the iPad. And one of the best converters on the market.

I find it really comfortable to have a setup that makes no noise at all and records in best quality. I'm starting to make best use of microphones available to me. Absolute perfect recordings.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm fine with 16GB. I'm thinking of getting one more, 16 GB, for music-only apps.

My current 16GB Ipad 3 has a lot of games for the kids. Without these I think I can have a few more projects on the Ipad.
Last edited by Erik dP on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Israel
Expert

Post by Israel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:06 pm

JoeyOz wrote:Thanks for your response everyone! I guess I'll just have to try it out with backing it up often.

Anyone using the Apogee Duet? I was recommended it as the best interface for recording pro quality on an iPad, anyone that can back that up or know of any better interfaces?
JoyOz,
I have an iPad 3 16GB and honestly I wish I had at least gotten a 32GB. I can see the backing up to PC, but if you want to make some changes in a project the you would have to be sending back and forth pc and ipad.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:42 pm

JoeyOz wrote:Hi, I just bought a 16GB iPad Mini Retina that I plan to run Auria with Apogee Duet. Will 16GB be enough??

I will only be recording vocals over instrumentals if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any help in this matter, I cant seem to find any good answers on the web.
For what you are doing 16 should be fine. Just don't get interested in video editing or your done for.

+1 on iFunbox for ease of file transfers.

As far as audio interfaces, the Apogee and Griffin Studio Connect are 2 good choices.
I've been using an Akai EIE (the red one) and have been very happy with it as it has 4 very nice mic pre's and a usb hub built-in to it as well as flexible I/O routing. I use an Akai EWI usb (wind controller) and a few keyboard/controllers through it at the same time.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:31 pm

ppaul wrote:It's very easy to back up Auria projects to a computer with a program called ifunbox, just drag and drop. Hope this helps.

Hi Guilleonline, when you save your projects, are they the multi-track files or the stereo mix?
Cheers, Paul
Multitrack. I always say I'll come back tomtweak but I never do. One day I will and boy i'll have piles of homework to do :mrgreen:

JoeyOz

Post by JoeyOz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:20 am

You guys are awesome, thanks for all your feedback!

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:56 pm

I used 16GB iPads since they came out and generally it was never really an issue. Like other people said, you just need to pay a bit more attention to back ups and swapping out videos/music if you use it for that too.

Finally upgraded to 32GB when I got my Air. While it is nice not having to worry about that stuff anymore, I still regularly have 8-10GB free at any time. So I'm barely making use of the additional space.