M7 CoProcessor / 64bit as a solution for still not much RAM?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pipo79
Expert

M7 CoProcessor / 64bit as a solution for still not much RAM?

Post by pipo79 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 am

Hello developeristas !
Is the last generation of a7 chips in combination with the m7 & the 64bit archtecture going to boost aurias performance ?
Guess there would be a lot re-programming to do ....but is that an option that comes to your mind ?
RAM is still short on the latest idevices ...

Cheerio Philipp

----- Damn I missed the Video Contest ! Will there be another one ?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: M7 CoProcessor / 64bit as a solution for still not much

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:43 am

Auria runs great on the Air, no reprogramming necessary. We saw an increase of about 2x in performance over the iPad 4.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:08 am

According to informal tests run on the Audiobus forum, the Air has roughly 100meg less available RAM when you launch Auria after a fresh reboot than the iPad 4 (but still a lot more than iPad 2). Considering the increase in CPU performance it's not that big a deal.

The reduced RAM footprint is probably due to the increased memory footprint of the 64 bit OS, and it's possible that the problem could be exacerbated once apps themselves go fully 64 bit.

Running cmemory (available either free or for $1 paid version on the app store) can really help to free up memory if anyone is running out of RAM in their projects.

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:23 am

I was a part of a thread over on the AB forums where users asked me to run cmemory to get results back from my Air. They were inconsistent at best. The consensus seemed to be that cmemory was a decent app if you had a non-64 bit device.

pipo79
Expert

Post by pipo79 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:42 am

Wow ! Great answers here .... as far I know that ipad mini 2 has the same "power" as ipad air - are there any inconviniences with the mini2 (except the size of course but for straight tracking this should not be a problem) ?