Fabfilter Pro L settings

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rocdok
Expert

Fabfilter Pro L settings

Post by rocdok » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi, I'm trying to eliminate or minimize transients from acoustic guitar finger squeaks. I watched the Lynda.com which suggested using a limiter and not increasing gain, and then using a compressor in a 'layering' manner. I tried everything setting wise with pro L (and yes the bypass is off) and when I observe the output on the track the squeak is hitting occasionally 10 DB above unity and doesn't change regardless of preset or if I manually adjust look ahead attack/ release etc.. I watched the Dan Worrell vid- way above my current knowledge level. Am I missing something? I was able to understand the compression vid and successfully applied it to other tracks. Thx for any advice.
Kier

actualproof
Expert

Re: Fabfilter Pro L settings

Post by actualproof » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Change mics and wear adhesive bandages on your fingers... kidding. You're on the right track with the limiter and compression. Keep experimenting; also, make full use of EQ plugs to reduce some of those HF, short-wavelength aberrations. There really is no "Silver Bullet"... each squeak is unique. My solution has been to just abandon the quest for perfectionism and just embrace the "warts and all" mentality. It is quite liberating.

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 am

Haha thx i really don't care about the squeaks, just wanna learn and like the fun of fixing it. I guess it's not a brick wall limiter?
Here's the vid just for the hell of it
http://vimeo.com/80071517
Password is Pro L

Airyck
Expert

Post by Airyck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm assuming that the squeaking happens in a particular frequency range? You may be best off using Fabfilter Pro-C. It allows you to use its side chain function (Not the external but internal sidechain) to zone in on the frequency range where it happening. Using its listen function you should be able to find the squeaks and have compressor only react to those frequency ranges. Also check to see where the squeaks sit in your mono/side fields, you may be able to work with one or the other to greater effect without altering the overall sound too much.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:49 pm

DS is designed for this kind of thing. De-sqeaking a guitar should be similar to de-essing a vocal. Just different frequencies.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Thx- haven't got that far in reading. Still haven't figured out what the side chain is yet ( newbie I'll do the reading and at least i know I may be able to win. Thx a lot for your replies! Merry Xmas.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:15 am

Compressors and side chains are 2 of the most difficult effects to learn because they are kind of transparent effects when used properly and you have to be listening for the right thing while not fooling yourself. I've sat there for several minutes tweaking an eq's settings only to realize it was bypassed.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:20 pm

martygras wrote:Compressors and side chains are 2 of the most difficult effects to learn because they are kind of transparent effects when used properly and you have to be listening for the right thing while not fooling yourself. I've sat there for several minutes tweaking an eq's settings only to realize it was bypassed.
Whew! That makes me feel less lonely.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Here's quick primer on dynamic processing if you're just getting into it:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/DynamicsControl.pdf

I'd have to agree about Pro-DS being the right tool for this job though. I love Pro-L and use it every single day here in the studio, never thought it would be good for taming guitar squeeks unless they are insanely louder than the rest of the playing.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:11 pm

supanorton wrote:
martygras wrote:Compressors and side chains are 2 of the most difficult effects to learn because they are kind of transparent effects when used properly and you have to be listening for the right thing while not fooling yourself. I've sat there for several minutes tweaking an eq's settings only to realize it was bypassed.
Whew! That makes me feel less lonely.
I make mistakes like this all the time. Another good reason to really trust your ears.

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 am

Thx for all that....so much to learn