Ipad air vs Ipad mini retina?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

vejichan
Expert

Ipad air vs Ipad mini retina?

Post by vejichan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:20 am

which would be better for recording/mixing and
i've found on my ipod touch 4thgen and ipad min 1st gen ... both 32gigs.. i never took up more than 40% of the space.
should i stick with 32gigs or should i step up to 128 or 64? is it worth the extra 100 or 200$ ?
thanks

Tarekith
Expert

Re: Ipad air vs Ipad mini retina?

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:48 am

I like the larger screen of the Air myself, my wife has the Retina Mini and I find using apps like Garageband and what not a little too fiddly on the smaller screen. As for storage, if you're not using all that you have now (not even close), doesn't make sense to spend more money for more storage IMO.

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 pm

thanks. I feel the same away.. originally i wanted a 128gig or 64gig but thats a good 100-200$ difference.
I will primarily use my ipad air for music and recording

even with my 32gig ipad mini and ipad touch.. i had games/movies/music daws/guitar stuff/music all loaded and at the max i was hitting about 60-70%...these days around 40%.
i always end up deleting apps or stuff i don't need.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm the same way, I only made the jump to 32GB when I got my Air, before that I was fine with 16GB for music making. Easy enough to swap things around or redownload from the cloud if needed these days.

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 pm

so my final verdict is the ipad air is going back for an ipad mini retina. Even thought it has only been 3 days.. i've been using my original ipad mini more. Ipad mini is just more comfortable and easier to use.

Artmuzz

Post by Artmuzz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:36 pm

I bought the iPad Air 128GB but I found it too big and bulky for portable use so I bought the iPad Mini Retina 64GB and it's much better and more portable. 64GB is good enough for me as I feel 128GB is too much and I would be wasting nearly £100 more on space that wouldn't be used up. My only complaint about the new iPads are that they still only run on 1GB ram. WTF were Apple thinking. There should of been at least 2GB ram in there to take advantage of the A7 64bit chip. A wasted opportunity for Apple. Still I think my iPad Mini retina is a great device and faster than my old iPad mini.

Airyck
Expert

Post by Airyck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm very happy with my mini Retina, much easier to hold. Some of the fabfilter stuff is hard to grab but I don't imagine it would be that much easier on the full size one.

skoptic

Post by skoptic » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Yup, another happy mini retina user here. Was thinking air but upgraded from a mini 1 and the size is so perfect I can deal with a slightly smaller screen. Fortunately I don't have fat fingers ;)

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:22 am

My iPad 4 is too bulky for me so i'll get an Air or Mini Retina now.I really would love to get the Mini Retina but still not sure if it's too small for Auria (yes,looking at you My lovely Fabfilter plugins).But another question i have is:how is the performance of Air or Mini Retina?I mean especially the very sluggish edit screen (on my iPad4).

One day in the past Auria was the reason to upgrade my iPad 2,not only because of more power but also because of the sluggish edit screen.It worked definitely better (of course)but not perfect.But then came iOS7 and it's even worse than before.I rarely used auria since september now (wich makes me really sad).i know that Rim is working on a fix for this (and i know it's Apples fault,not Rims)but i don't want to wait until march or something.Auria is again one big reason to upgrade,So how smooth is the edit screen on a Mini Retina? ;-)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Normhart

Post by Normhart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 am

I was ready to get a 16gb Ipad Air when I walked into the store and ended up walking out with a mini retina 32gb (same price) and couldn't be happier. Same reasons others have covered here apply in my case. Only disappointment was when I hooked up to my old Dell 19" VGA, my Griffin Studioconnect wouldn't talk to the Ipad or even charge. I can still use the bigger display offline from the Griffin - at least for editing. Not having an earlier Ipad to compare relative editing screen performance, I can't really offer anything on that but my understanding is that the higher powered A7 CPU should help, I would think.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 am

I played around in ims20 and Garageband on a mini at a friends place. It felt a bit too small. I guess the regular size, or larger, suits me better. Though, if I was on the move the portability of the mini would put it in a better position. (Multitrack DAW has enlargement of dials that are good on smaller screens.)
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:50 am

i was really sceptical but i bought a mini retina now and i have to say that i don't regret it.I missed the bigger screen not one minute.BUT:is there something wrong with the CPU display in Auria?I'm pretty sure it shows me roundabout the same usage (60%)in an old song that i had on my ipad 4.

Ah yeah,and the edit screen IS still sluggish,lol.Hope the next update brings some improvements.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Anthony Dcosta

Post by Anthony Dcosta » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:23 pm

iPad Air is the significantly faster as it has got 1.3GHz Processor compared to iPad Mini which has 1Ghz Processor.
N One more feature is the RAM. iPad Air has the higher RAM of 1 G compared to 0.5 G of Ipad Mini.
I would choose iPad Air compared to iPad Mini as it got higher comparison rate at:
http://tabletvs.net/compare/Apple-iPad- ... e-iPad-Air

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:00 am

Anthony Dcosta wrote:iPad Air is the significantly faster as it has got 1.3GHz Processor compared to iPad Mini which has 1Ghz Processor.
N One more feature is the RAM. iPad Air has the higher RAM of 1 G compared to 0.5 G of Ipad Mini.
I would choose iPad Air compared to iPad Mini as it got higher comparison rate at:
This comparison is wrong. It should be with the iPad mini with retina display.
You will see that they run at the same clock speed and have the same memory.

In fact, the website has its facts wrong too! The iPad mini retina runs slightly more slowly than the Air. But not much. If you look at benchmark comparisons, they are very, very close. The memory is the same - 1GB - which isn't really enough. But it's what we have.

Dominic

thomasdevos

Post by thomasdevos » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:47 am

dominicperry wrote:
Anthony Dcosta wrote:iPad Air is the significantly faster as it has got 1.3GHz Processor compared to iPad Mini which has 1Ghz Processor.
This comparison is wrong. It should be with the iPad mini with retina display.
You will see that they run at the same clock speed and have the same memory.

In fact, the website has its facts wrong too! The iPad mini retina runs slightly more slowly than the Air. But not much. If you look at benchmark comparisons, they are very, very close. The memory is the same - 1GB - which isn't really enough. But it's what we have.

Dominic
the site is not wrong, ipad mini and iPad mini with Retina display is sold isolatedly, they are different product from apple.

Anthony is not giving the right link, the right link is to compare iPad mini with Retina display with iPad air,
they share the same CPU 1.3GH

also, you can see the ipad mini vs ipad mini with Retina display:
http://tabletvs.net/compare/Apple-iPad- ... -iPad-Mini

the price difference is big $399 vs $284, this site is pretty good. but i don't see the wireless connection on it, whether that tablet support 3G or 4G can not be tell by that site.