Fxpansion DCAM BusComp Presets?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sELF
Expert

Fxpansion DCAM BusComp Presets?

Post by sELF » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey.
Is that right - no presets included with the plug in? Any suggestions on where to find any? Or how to set this up for a fat disco sound? Although my experiments are proving fruitful, I only have Beyer 990 Pros to monitor on. So, I can not be sure that what I'm hearing is bonafide :D
Danke!

martygras
Expert

Re: Fxpansion DCAM BusComp Presets?

Post by martygras » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Some of these 3rd party plugin's have their own preset window which supersedes the Auria preset manager window.

However,
The ability to "critically listen" to subtle changes is very important in sound engineering.
This is how I learned to "hear" the affect compression has on a given instrument by trying to push it as far as I can, and seeing what changes take place when adjusting each parameter (threshold/ratio/attack etc.)

I also think that if you can't hear how it's affecting the track you probably don't need any additional compression.

I happen to like having a nice open mix that isn't part of the volume wars. With exception of EDM and the like.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks for that. Yes, that is how I work. Push it, then pull it back.

Even though it appears to be a simple compressor :shock: It will be nice to master those variables. In unison so to speak. Am I right in thinking that the HP Freq selector is functioning on the input, even when not being used upon an external side chain? To determine the frequencies that BusComp responds to?

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:44 am

sELF wrote: Am I right in thinking that the HP Freq selector is functioning on the input, even when not being used upon an external side chain? To determine the frequencies that BusComp responds to?
Yep, it just adds a high pass filter to the side chain sensor so the compressor doesn't react as much to low frequency transients.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Yep, it just adds a high pass filter to the side chain sensor so the compressor doesn't react as much to low frequency transients.
Yes, that's what I thought. But, I find it is also affecting the sound when there is no side chain processing enabled. It would appear that it follows the frequency of the main input when side chain is not being used...