Samson Graphite 49 and MCU/HUI

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

syrupcore
Expert

Samson Graphite 49 and MCU/HUI

Post by syrupcore » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to get a Samson Graphite to control Auria? It apparently has Mackie emulation but I can't get it to work. The Samson manual is scant on the subject. I've tried a few of its presets including the one for Logic but no joy. I also tried setting the Graphite to its ProTools preset and switched Auria to HUI, no luck. Followed the steps outlined on pages 102-103 of the Auria manual, turning on Recieve/Send Remote for port 5 of the graphite.

There's an article up by Craig Anderton on how to set the graphite up to work with most DAWs which gives me hope that I'm just missing something.
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/DIY-Ar ... p/34636107

Thanks for any insight.

djjuniorpops
Expert

Re: Samson Graphite 49 and MCU/HUI

Post by djjuniorpops » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:58 pm

I had a Graphite 49, I was able to get it working with
my Desktop DAW, but no luck with Auria,

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:00 am

Hi @syrupcore. I've just acquired a Graphite 49 myself, in the hope I can get it working with Auria.

I've had success by selecting the ProTools preset on the Graphite - in that the transport buttons, volume sliders, pan pots and Mute and Solo buttons all seem to work. I've not had time to explore further but I'm optimistic.

Auria needs to be set for "Remote protocol = Mackie HUI" and "Receive Remote" and "Send Remote" re "Samson Graphite 49 Control"

All with just a CCK and no powered hub! More later, perhaps. Hope that helps you (and @dwarman) :D

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Cheers @washboy. I'll give that a shot tonight.

tanjaree

Post by tanjaree » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:43 am

Thanks , Washboy .It's work.
Can you edit to use more funtions than this?
I want more advice.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:11 am

@tanjaree: You're welcome! Actually, I didn't keep the Samson for more than a day or two. A good (and value for money) keyboard/controller but not quite what I was looking for.

As for "more functions", what sort of functions are you thinking about? Perhaps one of the other Graphite owners can advise :)

tanjaree

Post by tanjaree » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:43 am

After use for one week.This is what i found with this setting.
-Transport buttons work well.
- Volume sliders, pan, Mute and Solo buttons also work but just only 1-8 first channel .
I found from some web that mackie HUI don't support Bank and Channel.
- Bank - buttom effect mark in ,Channel - buttom effect mark in ,Channel + buttom effect loop
- If I use audiobus or inter-app it will have very loud sound [maybe loop or feedback] until I turn HUI off.
I want some advice from is forum.

I try to use with Studio One on my notebook it's work perfect [use presonus preset]
Bank and Channel bottoms work well.

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:58 pm

I too have a Graphite 49, and even using the Protools preset on the 49 and changing to HUI in Auria,
(which is at least seeing the Graphite)
I still can't get the transport buttons to work on the Graphite with Auria...I'm sure it's something I missed,
but it is frustating.
I'm keeping the Graphite, as the keys feel good to me, and it plays fairly well with my iOS synths.
(still have to figure out how to do pad changes - probably about time to re-read the manual)

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:48 am

I have joy!
A little more doodling around with the Graphite 49, Auria and iLectric Piano has gotten me tracks into Auria.

I have a screen-shot of what Auria's MIDI settings need to be set to, but I can't seem to be able to post it here
from the iPad...

But in essence, in Auria you need to set the Remote Protocol to Mackie HUI (it defaults to MCU)
Set MIDI inputs to SAMSON Graphite 49 Controller Port 5 (bottom of list) for receive remote.
Set MIDI outputs to SAMSON Graphite 49 Controller send remote (again, bottom of list)
And make sure that the MMC Device ID is set to 5.

On the Graphite 49 use the Protools preset.

S1-S8 on the G49 will command the faders in Auria, E1 will command the fader on track 1, F1 and F9 will control the solo and mute buttons in Auria on the first track.

As tanjaree already pointed out, the transport buttons work as advertised, including double-tapping rewind to get to
the start of your project quickly.

Unlike tanjaree, I've had no audio issues using HUI while using Audiobus to record.

I'm a newbie to this MIDI thing, been around since it's beginning, but always played analog instruments (and was secretly
jealous of those keyboard guys that had all those cool sounds with just a push of a button)

One caveat...Auria will not remember that you had a remote controller hooked up when you close your session, so
you'll have to go to the Menu:Settings:MIDI page to re-do the send and receive remote options when you re-open your
project.

Hope this helps...

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:04 am

Interesting about setting the MMC Device ID to 5. Did it not work on 1 (or anything else)?

Remnant60

Post by Remnant60 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:20 am

Actually, it doesn't seem to matter...I reset Auria to MMC=0 and got fader action.
Also, the project I was working on "remembered" that the Graphite 49 was controlling
it.

Interesting, as the first few iterations of testing showed the opposite.

Using an iPad4 with the last 7.whatever iOS