Having issues with audio

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

SaltyNutz

Having issues with audio

Post by SaltyNutz » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:47 pm

When I use Auria on audiobus then close ab and all other apps to save CPU and do my mixing the volume basically disappears.. Any clue as to why this happens or maybe I'm just doing something wrong? Would really appreciate some help, thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Having issues with audio

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:03 am

Audiobus doesn't like to be force closed. If you do this, make sure you close all apps, including Auria, then re-open it.

Rim

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:54 am

Thx rim I'll try that, has anybody else in this forum had issues with low volume levels?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:11 am

@SaltyNutz: I have experienced drops in volume but I don't recall if it was AB or even Auria related. In general though, I now try to remember to always back out the way I came in. If I've launched an app via AB, I make sure to eject it from AB before force closing it in iOS. I never force close AB until I've ejected all apps from it.

I've no idea if it's necessary to do things this way but it seems logical to me to do so (and it fits with what @Rim wrote).

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:36 am

Thx guys, it's just frustrating.. Everything sounds nice and loud on bm2.. Honestly this is the only reason I don't use Auria for all my projects.. Once I figure this out Auria will be my go to app for sure

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:09 am

@SaltyNutz: Is this something you can reproduce at will or is it apparently random? if you're able to describe the steps needed to make it happen, it's more likely that a solution can be found.

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 am

Ok this is my setup.. I use bm2 as my input slot in audiobus and Auria as my output.. Then I just record the loops from my project in bm2 onto Auria and do my effects,mixing & editing there.. Once I transfer all my loops I just close everything (not in any particular order) except Auria.. And that's it, once I go back into Auria the volume levels are super low.. The mixer shows the tracks are still loud.. The drums peak but I could hardly hear them...
Last edited by SaltyNutz on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:51 am

@washboy: it's a frequent occurrence.. Maybe once or twice did it not happen.. Can it have something to do with audiobus monitoring being on when I'm not on audiobus? I'm not sure, I'm relatively new to music production in general although I've been using Auria for months

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 am

Then when I create a mixdown, its loud.. I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong, just can't figure out what it is

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:48 am

I have a suspicion this is something to do with App Background Audio Mode but I'll need to do some tests to prove my hypothesis.

Before I do, please will you confirm which iOS version you're on (I'm assuming that you're on the latest versions of Audiobus, BM2 and Auria), which iDevice and what method of monitoring you're using (i.e. iDevice's internal speakers / headphones or monitors via iDevice's headset jack / headphones or monitors via USB audio interface). Also, in your Auria settings, what are your settings for Audiobus Mode, Audiobus Live Monitoring, App Background Audio Mode, CoreAudio Mode and, lastly, Auto Input Monitor?

I'll try to replicate your problem (it's working for me OK, at the moment, on iOSv6.1.3) but I'd like to make sure I'm doing the same as you.

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm running the latest version on all my apps and using an ipad mini retina (this also happened with my old mini).. I'm using the internal speakers.. I also use headphones and it's a bit better but still noticeable.. All of those you mentioned are off except audiobus mode when i'm in audiobus :) auto input monitor on

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for the detail, @SaltyNutz. Sorry to report that I've tried again, using the Auria settings you stated, but I get full volume all the time. No problems and perfect transfer. I tried to be as 'rough' as possible, by killing BM2 and Audiobus without exiting cleanly, etc., but it still worked fine.

I don't suppose it has anything to do with iOS7 and I've been wracking my brain to recall the circumstances under which I had audio disappear on me but I've nothing definitive. It was either related to several apps in background mode or plugging and unplugging headphones.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help. Best of luck!

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 pm

It's ok @washboy I appreciate the help non the less.. Hopefully I could resolve this soon

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Works fine for me with ios7

SaltyNutz

Post by SaltyNutz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Pretty fucking weird.. It's obviously me, this happened on my 1st generation ipad mini also