How does Auria manage memory?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Tarekith
Expert

How does Auria manage memory?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:20 pm

This is one thing I've been trying to figure out since I started using Auria, and it's always baffled me. I have some projects where I'll be using 10-12 tracks, with lots of small audio files and a decent amount of plug ins, and Auria's memory usage meter will be showing say 80-100MB used. Then I have small projects with two tracks, no plug ins, and 30 MB of audio files in them that show 200-300MB used.

Obviously I'm taking these reading after closing all other apps and restarting the iPad Air.

Are there any best practices to managing memory in Auria, things we can do or put off until later in the production process to lower the amount of memory used? Normally it's not a problem, but some apps like Nave are also memory hogs, and using the two together gives me issues with full memory sometimes. Just looking for some strategies for keeping things low.

Thanks!

Chris M
Expert

Re: How does Auria manage memory?

Post by Chris M » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 pm

The memory meter actually displays how much you have available to you, not how much is in use. This explains why you have high readings on small projects and low readings on big projects.

Closing background apps is always imperative, and sometimes a hard-reset of the iPad is helpful. Later in the project, freezing tracks will help substantially as well.

Best,

Chris
WaveMachine Labs

Tarekith
Expert

Re: How does Auria manage memory?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Doh, that clears that up! :)