Midi sequencer and virtual instruments

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

DrowningForest

Midi sequencer and virtual instruments

Post by DrowningForest » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:36 am

Hi folks,
Ive been watching this website for around a year. I currently have every decent music app for the Ipad, with the exception of Auria. The reason is like many people who have posted here, I'm waiting for all things Midi. I use a combination of real instruments and virtual when I am composing. I also travel a lot so the portability of the Ipad is key when Im recording away from home. Im currently using Cubasis which covers most of my requirements, but after reading the Auria reviews im still waiting (its been a while?) for the midi version of Auria to appear. Im sure there are a lot of people in the same position who will eventually go with something else. So is Auria Midi going to appear anytime soon?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Midi sequencer and virtual instruments

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:39 am

It will appear, but I don't have a timeline for it. Keep in mind that the midi functionality will be an in-app purchase, so if you have Auria now, you'll just be able to add it on when it comes out.

Rim

DrowningForest

Post by DrowningForest » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. As I said previously I have a pile of music apps, but I dont see the point in purchasing Auria in its present form. I have no problems buying In app add ons, in fact I usually purchase most of whats on offer. I've read various articles about connecting to Auria via external apps which look fiddly to say the least. Im quite happy to invest in Auria but not until I can use it with its own midi sequencer. I dont expect the midi to be equivalent to a professional studio, but it would obviously have to cover normal usage.

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:08 pm

How much money….for midi sequencer???

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:51 am

Well, I would say it really is worth investing in Auria, despite the lack of MIDI, because in terms of sound and features it really is head and shoulders above everything else on iOS.

What I do is to record MIDI and sequence from Cubasis, then take the project into Auria for mixing and effects. You could also use Genome or BM2 for the midi record and sequencing steps, until Auria gets full MIDI. This means you get full MIDI functionality, but then once you move the audio into Auria you have access to automation and substantially better quality of effects - there really is no comparison when it comes to the quality of the native effects in Auria vs the rest, and you also have the possibility to add some great additions as in-app purchases.

DrowningForest

Post by DrowningForest » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Richard,
How did you manage to keep all the tracks separate from cubasis into Auria? So you would be able to put effects on every individual track. Unless ive missed something you would only be able to apply effects to a stereo mix of the cubasis output. Or have I missed a trick somewhere?

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Cubasis has an option, when mixing down, to create separate files for each track

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:22 am

I just copy and paste each track from Cubasis into Auria :)

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Do I have to go thru iTunes to transfer files/tracks to Auria from an IOS sequencer like BM2?

Also, can anyone tell me how to assign FX only to a region and not to the whole track?

Thanx

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Hey Hotlips,
You could copy and paste one track at a time.
Export to AAF which supports multiple tracks. (Not sure if BM2 does that)
Audioshare works entirely within iOS as a go between.
ifunbox works as a cool file transfer replacement for iTunes on your PC or Mac.
There's a wifi transfer in Auria in the menu list.

You can't currently add an effect to only a region, but you can automate the dry/wet or send knob for the desired effect depending on whether you are effecting a track or bus.

I like to add echoes to a segment of a region (reggae-like) so I copy that portion to the next track and add echo to that track.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 am

I don't have a compelling argument to convince you to purchase Auria based on its features, but I think workflow proficiency is a tremendous reason to make the purchase now, rather than later. It is doubtful that the addition of a midi sequencer will radically change how Auria deals with audio, so why not learn the audio side now? Nothing is more frustrating than discovering that in order to use the one feature you have been waiting for, you have to learn to use the 99 features that came before it.

DrowningForest

Post by DrowningForest » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi folks,
I finally cracked last night and have purchased Auria, I'm obviously hoping the midi will turn up sooner rather than later though! I have successfully copied across some midi track sequences from cubasis using audicopy without too much stress. I removed any effects I had previously used with cubasis so will be conducting tests of various effects in auria. I will get back to you with my results.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:24 am

I don't think you will be disappointed - the effects in Auria are really good.

I don't really mind splitting the workflow between the two apps personally, it means you use both to their strengths. There are things I really like about Cubasis: the routing is really easy, the interface is clean and easy to use, it puts a lot less stress on the hardware than Auria as well. So for recording soft synths and MIDI it works really well.

But once the recording is done I port the Project in Auria for the final mixing and finishing touches, because Auria has much better effects, audio editing (you can't merge audio in Cubasis for example), and automation. Plus it has a much bigger range of available FX as IAPs, which Cubasis does not do at the moment.

DrowningForest

Post by DrowningForest » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi, ive been fiddling with auria again. The tracks transfer fine from cubase. I then attempted to do some live vocals via vocal live and audiobus, at this point my ipad reset to desktop! It said there was too much going on basically! This concerns me as I was only using 1 app and audiobus. My ipad is the 1 previous to the ipad air so I would have expected it to handle this task fairly easily! Any suggestions?

sch
Expert

Post by sch » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:26 pm

If you haven't already done so, freeze the tracks you are not currently working on. This relieves much of the load on the CPU.