Mixing down on a ipad mini

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gjcyrus
Expert

Mixing down on a ipad mini

Post by gjcyrus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:56 am

Hi all, sorry if this question has already been posted or if the answer is an obvious one but is there a way to say save 10 tracks with all the fx on em without loss of fidelity so that I can then take out the fx in the insert channel to conserve CPU power and apply fabfilter q for subtractive EQ and other minor EQ tweaks? A good example is the recent bias app where I want to use it to get a nice guitar tone on a few tracks, then save them with that tone so I can stop using bias, then apply EQ or even other plugin fx afterwards.

So in a way, it'd be like mixing in stages to conserve CPU

Stage 1 - Use Bias via IAA to get nice tone for each guitar track
stage 2 - Shut down Bias and insert fx (ex. Jamup delay)
Stage 3 - Shut down Jamup and insert Fabfilter Q for subtractive EQ

Thanks in advance!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Mixing down on a ipad mini

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:12 am

Yes, there are a few ways to achieve this:

1. You could record your guitar clean, then add BIAS to that track and freeze it. You can't add effects to a frozen track, but you can route that track to a subgroup, where you can add additional effects.

or

2. You could record with effects turned on, and record your guitar going through BIAS directly onto a track. Then remove BIAS, and you have a track you can add other effects on.

or

3. You could record your guitar clean, then put BIAS onto that track and bounce the track to a new track. Then, delete the first track.

Rim

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:30 am

Thanks Rim! In regards to option 3, while I'm sure it wouldn't be noticeable, is there any sound degradation/loss of fidelity?

Is there also loss of fidelity with more fx that are put on? I ask this because when I tried running a clean guitar line thru Bias and then thru Jamup (with NO amp just fx since I've already got bias), I noticed a loss in volume and when I hit Bypass on Jamup the signal was much louder and sounded more present although the latter might've just felt that way since it was louder.

Thanks again for the Bias and EQ workaround

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 am

There's zero loss in quality when freezing / unfreezing. It's a perfect digital copy. As far as volume changes when using plugins, this happens because of various settings within each plugin. Many plugins have a way to adjust volume, gain, etc. Auria simply passes audio from one plugin to another.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:24 am

Rim, I created a test project on an iPad 2 with one drum track and no plugins, loaded Bias on a second track via IAA, hit record and got a CPU warning every time. The CPU meter was reading about 50%. Should Bias work on an iPad 2?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:17 am

I haven't tested Bias yet with Auria, but other users have been using it. If you're getting a CPU warning, it's possible that the buffer is too low. Here's what I would try:

1. Make sure your test project is loaded, then in Auria's settings, turn on Audiobus Mode
2. Force close all apps, including Auria
3. Launch Auria
4. Try using Bias again

Rim

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks Rim for clarifying the freeze digital copy. Does the same also apply for bouncing tracks with bias or any other fx? Will it be a perfect audio copy?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Freezing, mixdown and bounce are all perfect audio copies. The only time you add any potential noise is when you use effects, because effects by their very nature add or subtract from the signal.

Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:10 pm

You may be experiencing volume differences because of how levels are set in each stage in jamup. Also, wouldn't you generally want to run guitar into jamup effects then into bias? I mean, no rules, if it sounds good it is, but that would be the way you'd generally do it in the physical world. Just a thought.

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:37 am

@mrufino - for me its not about whether bias is before or after the fx, its about the fact that there was such a huge level drop especially AFTER i took out the amp in jamup. You still want the best signal going in. Im looking for a clean sound and spent $20 to get the bias rc 120 sound so why would i want to add more coloration from the amps within jamup.

My gripe right now is that i typically have 4 or more guitar tracks but am limited to using bias on only one track (unless i use of of rims workarounds) since I cant access bias in auria native jamup plugin. I also have the jamup expanded pack but cant access those amps in auria native jamup plugin either so while rim, as always, has been a rockstar in provided great solutions/workarounds, its frustrating when i just wanna lay down some tracks and mix in the easiest way possible and something i thought was going to be a great creative tool ends up being half the tool i was expecting it to be. I know thats my responsibility to research but it still sucks. I also have ableton so am spoiled with the workflow there but want to support ios.