Bias Guitar App

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jus
Expert

Bias Guitar App

Post by Jus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Well,it's working real great with Auria & IAA
£14 quid a good buy gives you a great insight into how amps work you can choose different valves cabs etc even disable the cab and use Overlouds cabs or even convolution rev with cab irs
The app looks the biz and full of features

Sound wise will have to get back to you in a few days as Ampkit/overloud are still making me play better with their sounds
But I've only just touched the sides with bias I'm guessing 8)

supanorton
Expert

Re: Bias Guitar App

Post by supanorton » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:26 am

Anxious to hear your thoughts, especially head to head with THM, which is #1 for me.

DFiasco

Post by DFiasco » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32 am

A lot of praise for THM around here. I've never even thought to buy it. You don't hear about it much, elsewhere.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Yep spent the last Hr trying Bias out tying to get something equal to THM

And sadly for me if I were to rate THM @ 9 outta 10.

Bias would get. 6 Clean sounds are not bad distortion just doesn't do it for me

It's a shame because they have put so much into the App(bias) it looks stunning and the options are out of this world
Bias does actually sound like you have mic'd up your amp as you probably have done at home but it just don't sound
Well what can I say. Alive :shock: like THM or even Ampkit (spent A bit on upgrades to be up with THM )

If I struggle to play a solo on bias I'd be able to do it with ease on THM / Ampkit that's the difference for me
I'm sure many people will love Bias it's Defo a quality App and worth the money but sound it's just quite not there for my personal taste

8) 8) 8)

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:00 pm

hey jus,

thnx for feedback. do you know how much cpu usage running bias, jamup and auria takes? Ive got an ipad mini and was planning on freezing all my other tracks but concerned it'll still take a lot.

also, do you play mostly metal or rock though?

Some ppl on audiobus forum said it had a nice clean tone and all the overloud youtube vids (auria version) seemed to be focused on metal/rock.

While i enjoy playing south of heaven, jump in the fire or sweet child of mine, i actually am looking for more of a clean jazz tone for simple yet multiple melodies to stick into a mix of heavy drums, samples and keyboards.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:12 pm

THM has excellent clean sounds. They don't try to make an amp that goes from clean to dirty; instead, they have clean and overdrive versions of each amp. It can be a little buggy from time to time on my iPad 2, but I'm very pleased with the sounds. It takes a while to get used to, but I prefer it to AmpKit, JamUp, and AmpliTube. It doesn't have bass amps, but you can get some good bass sounds from it. I think I'm going to buy Bias. Here's a pretty good demo of classic rock type sounds.

http://youtu.be/uM6FS_EKimU?a

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:15 pm

Yep I play a lot of rock type Gary Moore /joe satriani (but not as good :( )solo style not metal
But also play with clean sounds as well, big Knopfler fan ere
Clean sounds are good as I did say
Bias is well worth the money and worth buying 8) but my lead playing is better with THM
:wink:

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm

supanorton wrote:THM has excellent clean sounds. They don't try to make an amp that goes from clean to dirty; instead, they have clean and overdrive versions of each amp. It can be a little buggy from time to time on my iPad 2, but I'm very pleased with the sounds. It takes a while to get used to, but I prefer it to AmpKit, JamUp, and AmpliTube. It doesn't have bass amps, but you can get some good bass sounds from it. I think I'm going to buy Bias. Here's a pretty good demo of classic rock type sounds.

http://youtu.be/uM6FS_EKimU?a
Nice YT LINK Supa cheers that's bang on how it sounds 8) I mean it's not been souped up for yt :mrgreen:

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:00 pm

gjcyrus wrote:hey jus,

thnx for feedback. do you know how much cpu usage running bias, jamup and auria takes? Ive got an ipad mini and was planning on freezing all my other tracks but concerned it'll still take a lot.
I kept getting the CPU usage message a lot I wasn't using much two tracks PianoVerb and bias ipad 4
But things do seem more glitchy just latterly since ios7' hopefully that will improve over the next few months

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Purchased Bias, played with it for a couple of hours. It really has a lot more detail than than THM in the clean to crunchy categories. It's very cool tweaking the sounds. Totally impressed with the tones I got out of a Tele, Strat, and Les Paul Custom. Alas, one drum track, no plugins, CPU overload warning within seconds of hitting record every time I tried using it via IAA in Auria on my iPad 2. There's still ACP.

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 pm

THM is ok but when you use THM w/o the built in cab emulation and with external cab impulses. WHOAAA it beats jamup/ampkit/amplitube etc! impulses can make a drastic difference. here is a video.. same idea but on the PC w/amplitube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nVsmoiEUk

but i hope Bias will have the option to load external impulses because it does have the no cab option.

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:35 am

Ok just plunked down $40 to get both Bias and Jamup to use in Auria and it's def a cool app with tweakable tones. But the problem I'm having is I've got two guitar tracks that id like to use bias on. I'm also on an ipad mini. So after I've found the tone I like for one, I freeze it then go to my other guitar track. But once I try to stick in bias, all the sounds cut out and I'm not even seeing levels anymore for the 2nd track I was trying to add bias to. I tried shutting down both apps but it happens again. Don't know if this is a bias thing or IAA thing. Perhaps I should just create the amp I want and use Jamup to apply the tones I want that way as opposed going thru Bias directly.

On a related note, does this mean we never have to change our guitar strings again since it's the sound is just going to be processed anyways?

EDIT: Ahhh, Rims answer on the other bias thread makese sense now. You can't use bias amps within Jamup so if you need to use delay or other Jamup fx, you need to use both bias in iaa and Jamup which sucks for me as I'm on a mini and getting CPU overload.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:15 am

Are you still having this issue with the sound cutting out on your second track? If so, we can try to recreate this. Let me know.

Rim

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:36 am

Yeah just tried it again and the second track just cuts out. No levels. The track waveform is still there and I try hitting solo and mute but nothing. What's interesting is that the first track no longer shows bias but still has the bias tone on it.

Am I correct in that I should be able to use IAA apps on multiple tracks?

EDIT: Bias is actually killing all the sounds even if it's not on first track. I tried putting in turnado on first track and bias on second track and it kills all sound. When I remove it, it's good again

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 am

You can only use one IAA app at a time in Auria. This is unfortunately a limitation in the way IAA works. So in other words, you can only use one BIAS in your project at any one time. You can have several IAAs at the same time in one project, but they can't be the same kind of IAA. Auria native plugins don't have this limitation.

But it shouldn't be cutting the audio out like you describe. We'll look into this on our end.

Rim