Removing "dead air" in tracks?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Removing "dead air" in tracks?

Post by Zippydog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Please forgive this newbie question...

Wondering if I might save memory by deleting long stretches of silence in some tracks. For example, if I have a strings section coming in at the last chorus/end of song, I really don't need the track until that point. I have been splitting tracks and deleting the "dead air" from each one in this way. Is there an easier way to do this...or better yet, does doing so even make a difference from a memory consumption standpoint?

thank you!!

Washboy
Expert

Re: Removing "dead air" in tracks?

Post by Washboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:32 pm

You need to appreciate that the edits (trim/split/duplicate) you make to regions don't alter the underlying audio clip (WAV file). So when you cut out that dead air it doesn't get cut from the original clip - it's just ignored until/unless you 'reveal' it again (try moving the trim handles on a region adjacent to a region you deleted and you'll reveal the dead air again!).

You can use the 'Condense Regions' function in the 'Process' menu to create separate audio files of selected regions. So, for example, if you start with a single 3-minute recording on a track and you split it and cut out a 60-second portion from the middle, you could multi-select the two remaining regions and 'condense' them. That would result in two, new WAV files being created. They would be linked, respectively, to the two regions you condensed.

Then, if you have "Project auto-cleanup = Yes" in your Auria general settings, the original (now unused) WAV file will be deleted the next time that project is opened and you'll have freed up some disk space. However, if auto-cleanup is set to "No" OR if the original audio clip is still being used somewhere in the project, it won't be deleted and you'll have used even more space than before the condense! So use 'Condense Regions' with caution.

I don't think the dead-air makes much difference otherwise.

Zippydog
Expert

Re: Removing "dead air" in tracks?

Post by Zippydog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Very helpful - thank you!