Recording Drums in Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Israel
Expert

Recording Drums in Auria

Post by Israel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello everybody, sorry if this is not the right place to ask this but is it possible to achieve decent or good drum recordings with a either a pair of sm57 or both an sm57 and mxl v67? I only have 2 inputs and only one input has phantom power. Thanks in advance.

syrupcore
Expert

Re: Recording Drums in Auria

Post by syrupcore » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Absolutely! Well it depends on the type of sound you want. You can more easily get a real or large drum sound with two mics (vs an articulated tight sound). There are a lot of mic configurations that will work for you but instead of me trying to describe them you should just google "two mic drum recording techniques".

One general technique you should consider: use the v67 to capture the whole drum kit as an overhead or 4 feet out in front of a kit, low to the ground. Or wherever, just find a good spot. This can take a while. A buddy playing the drums really helps here! Anyway, once you find a sound you like use a 57 to close mic the drum that needs the most help, usually the kick or the snare.

Lots of good stuff on this on the tape op forum archives. I love this sorta stuff. Have fun!

Israel
Expert

Re: Recording Drums in Auria

Post by Israel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:35 pm

syrupcore wrote:Absolutely! Well it depends on the type of sound you want. You can more easily get a real or large drum sound with two mics (vs an articulated tight sound). There are a lot of mic configurations that will work for you but instead of me trying to describe them you should just google "two mic drum recording techniques".

One general technique you should consider: use the v67 to capture the whole drum kit as an overhead or 4 feet out in front of a kit, low to the ground. Or wherever, just find a good spot. This can take a while. A buddy playing the drums really helps here! Anyway, once you find a sound you like use a 57 to close mic the drum that needs the most help, usually the kick or the snare.

Lots of good stuff on this on the tape op forum archives. I love this sorta stuff. Have fun!
Thanks for the tip! Will try it out