Midi drums from electronic drum kit into ipad.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

smithio

Midi drums from electronic drum kit into ipad.

Post by smithio » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:53 am

Hi, I've always recorded my drums into auria using audio out from my Roland electronic drum kit. I'd like to play so each drum is recorded on a different channel to make editing easier and midi would be the best way to do this (other then recording each drum individually via audio). I have all the leads and adapters to connect midi to my ipad but am struggling on how to make this work. Ta

IPadArtist
Expert

Re: Midi drums from electronic drum kit into ipad.

Post by IPadArtist » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:29 pm

To edit midi after the midi part has been recorded requires a midi sequencer with editing capabilities. Auria does not have midi sequencing or editing so you must record your midi drums into a midi sequencer first. You can then edit the drums in the midi sequencer on the iPad. Once this is to your liking you may then transfer this to audio so that you can load them into Auria for mixing. The only way currently for you to do this using multiple tracks for each drum piece of the drum kit, you currently must use a multi-channel audio interface like the Focusrite or Presonus products that allow up to 18 inputs at once. Auria can record up to 24 tracks at the same time and plays back up to 48 tracks. This is currently the only method of doing this in Auria. If you need to monitor a track to play to while laying down your drums in real time you can use Audiobus for this or use a sequencer that has audio tracks as well. Good luck.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Well I guess I'm sort of a hybrid electronic drummer. Although I use the Roland TD-9, Handsonic 10 & 15, I record using the main outs for each because they are mostly tweaked the way I want it to sound already. If I screw up a part I just use the punch-in feature just like the old days. Much less hassle too.
Sometimes I will run the edrum outs through a hardware 31 band eq and add a little compression before the IO Dock inputs.

It's amazing what the Pro-Q can do surgically to a full drum track.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:10 pm

If you don't have a multichannel interface you can still record and edit and punch into midi sequencer and then record the individual outs into auria by doing several passes.

colorofdubious

Post by colorofdubious » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:49 pm

Hello there,
I have really enjoyed recording again thanks to Auria. And for an older guy the learning curve hasn't been too bad, thanks to this awesome forum!
I'm having a similar problem. I received .MID drums from a friend, used Audioshare to import them from Dropbox but the "tools" option, in Audioshare, doesn't highlight whin I select the .MID file. All other options seem to be available except for tools and Soundcloud for this file.
I was hoping to convert to .WAV and audio copy to Auria.
What am I doing wrong? Any help, and all previous help, are much appreciated!
Tim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:57 am

Auria doesn't import MID files, because it's not a MIDI sequencer (only Audio).

Rim

colorofdubious

Post by colorofdubious » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:38 am

Rim,
Thanks for the quick reply! I suspected as much but, according to Audioshare description, it converts standard midi files to .wav files.
Well, hopefully this helps someone who's having a similar problem.
Thanks for an awesome product, the quick response and a new found interest in recording!
Tim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:44 am

Midi files and audio files are two very different things. Nothing can "convert" a midi file into an audio file. Remember, a midi file only contains note instructions, and an audio file contains actual audio. Here's an example of what's inside a midi file:

1. Play C#3 at a volume of 127
2. Wait 3 seconds
3. Play D1 at a volume of 30

It only tells a synth which notes to play. It doesn't contain any audio whatsoever.

So there's no way to convert a midi file to an audio file. The only thing that can play a midi file is a synth app / drum app, etc. (or a sequencer which had a synth attached to it). The output of those would be audio.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:53 am

EDIT: @Rim got in before me :oops:

@colorofdubious: Expanding on what @Rim said, those .MID files do not contain audio data. They contain MIDI data - i.e. instructions to control a MIDI device, such as a synthesiser, sample player or other sound-making device/app. .WAV files contain audio data. Auria (currently) only handles audio data.

AudioShare can't convert the .MID files to .WAV for you because AudioShare doesn't make sound. It can convert between a few audio formats (.WAV, .MP3, etc) and can hold the .MID files for you and shuffle them between apps but it can't make sound from them.

You need a MIDI player of some sort. Which sort depends on what 'instrument(s)' your .MID files are meant to control. You might like to look at Bismark bs16-i. It's "a 16 multi-timbral playback sampler. It supports SoundFont, and can be used for keyboard instrument, MIDI sound module, and MIDI player". It's AudioBus compatible and you could use it to play your .MID files, through Audiobus, into Auria (recording the audio output from bs16-i).

EDIT: Sorry, I missed that you said it's drum stuff. Bs16-I may not be the best for drums (but it's worth investigating anyway). I guess there must be a couple of drum sequencers out there that will read .MID files. More later, if I think of one.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:19 am

@colorofdubious: further to my last, check out "DrumStudio"

colorofdubious

Post by colorofdubious » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for all the explanations and ideas! My friend
is able to convert his .mid drums to .wav files, we've gone this route before, and Dropbox to me. it's just time consuming for him and I was just trying to ease his workload!
Thanks again!