[ ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT IAA ]

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Sinapsya
Expert

[ ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT IAA ]

Post by Sinapsya » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:27 am

I start this discussion on Audiobus Forum an I like to know what do you think, RIM, that you working on it now:
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2177/ ... a-#Item_21

What do you think???

martygras
Expert

Re: [ ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT IAA ]

Post by martygras » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:52 am

I agree with some of the posts saying that due to the current state of IAA use, Audiobus doesn't have much to worry about anyway. I figure that in a few weeks, we'll see which apps applied it properly too.

And where's the comprehensive Apple guide for the public's use of this feature?
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:26 pm

No problem, I've posted a response.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:26 pm

No problem, I've posted a response.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 pm

I may be wrong, but if we are to use the channel strip insert slots for "synth nodes" then that makes them post "channel strip EQ".
That just seems odd to have to do that.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:28 am

It is indeed odd, but it works well and is intuitive when you're using it. Because instruments have no audio input, when you insert one into a channelstrip insert, the audio before that insert is ignored during recording. During playback, however, the audio before the insert is mixed with the instrument (allowing you to play along with the track you have it inserted on, or to monitor what you just recorded without having to remove the insert).

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Rim wrote:It is indeed odd, but it works well and is intuitive when you're using it. Because instruments have no audio input, when you insert one into a channelstrip insert, the audio before that insert is ignored during recording.
Rim
1. Some instruments do have inputs. (Not sure how they are handled.) Are we talking about synths or fx?
Rim wrote: During playback, however, the audio before the insert is mixed with the instrument (allowing you to play along with the track you have it inserted on, or to monitor what you just recorded without having to remove the insert).
Rim
2. I thought the idea was to use it on an empty track. Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding that part of your statement.

I must be having a second Monday this week.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Sorry, I'll try to explain it more clearly:

- Inter-app defines two main node types: Instrument and Effect. An instrument only has an output, and an effect has both an input and an output.

- When inserting an IAA effect into an Auria insert slot, it works the same way the built-in plugins work.

- However, when inserting an instrument IAA into an Auria insert slot, it works as I described in the previous post: Auria records the output of the instrument onto that track.

- If you happen to have any audio on the track you've inserted an instrument IAA on, Auria will still play that audio, even though you've inserted an instrument onto that track.

So to answer your question - you normally wouldn't have any audio on a track you're recording an instrument onto, but after you're finished recording, if you press rewind, and try to play back the audio, Auria will still allow that audio to play back (even though you've got an instrument inserted which normally doesn't allow any audio to pass through it because it has no input).

Hope that makes sense. It's all very intuitive, and you don't need to think about any of this. You just insert an IAA and it "works".

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:40 pm

Rim wrote:Sorry, I'll try to explain it more clearly:

- Inter-app defines two main node types: Instrument and Effect. An instrument only has an output, and an effect has both an input and an output.

- When inserting an IAA effect into an Auria insert slot, it works the same way the built-in plugins work.

- However, when inserting an instrument IAA into an Auria insert slot, it works as I described in the previous post: Auria records the output of the instrument onto that track.

- If you happen to have any audio on the track you've inserted an instrument IAA on, Auria will still play that audio, even though you've inserted an instrument onto that track.

So to answer your question - you normally wouldn't have any audio on a track you're recording an instrument onto, but after you're finished recording, if you press rewind, and try to play back the audio, Auria will still allow that audio to play back (even though you've got an instrument inserted which normally doesn't allow any audio to pass through it because it has no input).

Hope that makes sense. It's all very intuitive, and you don't need to think about any of this. You just insert an IAA and it "works".

Rim
YES. That did it Rim. I finally understand. (everybody clap)
Thanks mucho!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:41 pm

All IAA plugins work in real time in Auria (instruments and effects). You don't need to have anything pre-recorded to use them.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:57 am

I think he meant if the live output of an IAA insert can be processed by subsequent Auria insert effects, and the processed output heard live while playing the synth -- just like in a desktop DAW.

That would be interesting to know for me as well :)

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:56 am

instinctive wrote:I think he meant if the live output of an IAA insert can be processed by subsequent Auria insert effects, and the processed output heard live while playing the synth -- just like in a desktop DAW.

That would be interesting to know for me as well :)

Well,an Effect node wouldn't make much sense if you can't process it in realtime on other stuff,no? ;-)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:26 am

Uhm well, with Audiobus, it isn't possible AFAIK, so I was just asking... or can you insert an Audiobus synth into a Beatmaker track, and then hear Beatmaker's insert effects live on the signal from the synth?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:30 am

Yes, you can insert other plugins (IAA or Auria plugins) after an IAA, and hear the effect live while you play.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:47 am

Amazing, thanks.