Focusrite Scarlett iPad Mapping

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Schimanski
Expert

Focusrite Scarlett iPad Mapping

Post by Schimanski » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Since the latest update of scarlett mixcontrol (1.6) the "save to hardware" function doesn't work anymore!
You lose your ipad mapping as soon as you unplug the power.Posted this here too because this update killed a
whole mobile recording session for me!!!

peteT
Expert

Re: Focusrite Scarlett iPad Mapping

Post by peteT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi,

Same here, even tried the previous iPad Mapping with no luck. Initially the new one worked, but later became buggy and now won't work atall (just freezes in Auria on Replay). Hopefully Focusrite are working on this. Maybe bad combination of new versions - Auria, iOS 7.2 and their own. When it briefly worked I managed to get 2 channels of ADAT input working at 96k, alas they still haven't solved this 96k bug within Auria ...... I wish Focusrite would build an iPad app to allow user settings within Scarlett ; then it would be possible to set external sync to spdif or ADAT.

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Ummmmm.... WHAT?!?!?!! If this happens to us, you'll be able to find an 18i8 somewhere on I-95 southbound between Boston and Charleston, SC in the very near future. If it happens, I'll post the estimated exit number.

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 am

It's not a problem with Auria or the iPad,at least not for me.The problem is that you cannot save the iPad Mappings
to your Scarlett-Device anymore.I can load the iPad Mappings from Mixcontrol to Scarlett18i6 and everything is
working fine (there are no NEW ipad mappings by the way),Auria is behaving normally etc.BUT if you unplug the
power from the scarlett device ,then plug it in again,the ipad mappings are lost on the scarlett.So if you don't have
you mac or pc with you - that's it,job is finished!
Ipad4,64GB ios6.1.3 Auria 1.12

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am

Thank you for your posts.

I just downloaded the newest version from our website, fresh to be sure I have exactly the same versions as you guys, Saving to Hardware on both my Mac and PC, trying Standalone, iOS 6 and iOS 7. I was not able to replicate this.

Are you using Mac or PC? What is the exact OS?

Are you using the Scarlett MixControl 1.6 for Mac or 1.6.1 for PC?

Can you test the standalone mode without connecting to the iPad. Try setting a strange routing such as Anlg In 1 > Headphone Left, Anlg In 2 > Headphone Right so you can check the Standalone Mode.

Save to Hardware then power off the 18i8 or other Scarlett, unplug the USB cable, then turn on with no computer or iPad connection. Is Standalone Mode not functioning?

Please let me know more specifics about what routing you are trying to set on what type of computer.

I would be happy to report any kind of bug with reliable reproduction steps but I currently cannot find any reproduction of this.

Best regards.
Katherine Kaplan // Focusrite Technical Support

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 am

then it would be possible to set external sync to spdif or ADAT.
You can set external sync via Save to Hardware, just make sure it is locked when you save it. If it does not have a sync lock it will not save.

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:04 pm

After having talked to your german support ( I've been told there where no other users complaining about this issue)
I reinstalled Scarlett Mixcontrol 1.6 on my macbook pro and did (I swear) EXACTLY THE SAME what I did yesterday
and it worked!I have no idea why ...I did not try any "strange settings",just loaded "ipad mapping daw tracking",
saved to hardware,unplugged everything etc.Everything is ok.Thank you very much for your efforts and a big
Thank You to your friendly german support!

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I must admit that even though I don't currently own a Focusrite unit, it is very nice to have Katherine stop by to aid in our brand specific issues.
Now that's proactive customer support.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

actualproof
Expert

Post by actualproof » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:33 pm

You gotta be careful, bro. I almost hucked this thing 200 miles ago.

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm very glad to hear you resolved this with a reinstall.

We had this version in beta testing a few months and experienced no issues.

I will try testing this again later on an 18i6, but I am wondering if based on your findings it is a problem with the Install.

Please let me know if you guys have any more relevant info that I can look into for you.

Best regards.

Janushka

Post by Janushka » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:09 am

Re: Scarlett 18i8
Postby Janushka » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:11 am

Indeed i miss the 18i8 ipad mapping , and contacted focusrite.
They will see to set the mapping to the latest update of mixcontrol .
So in version 1.6.1.exe this is till now not available.
But they told that this mapping is not special needed, and you can set it manually in this mixcontrol .

But they forgot to tell how to manually set the ipad mappings exact in mixcontrol .

They gave a link to some small Youtube movie , which does not explane the settings fot the ipad .

From Focusrite support ;
[quote]

Hi Jan,

Thanks for letting us know, I'm glad to hear you have the Scarlett working as you want it to now. I will pass on your request for iPad mappings for the 18i8, but they are not really necessary as the routing can be done in mix control manually.

We do have a video that talks about the operation of mix control which may be of some use to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRbAsXtPSLE.
..................................................................................................................................... The ipad 18i8 ipad mapping is what i need . That`s all . I only struggle with settings instead of making music .

Common focusrite, or Wavemachine labs Please, ....be more clear!! For Ipad users !

Jan (Holland)
Janushka

Katherine_Focusrite
Expert

Post by Katherine_Focusrite » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey guys!

Apologies for the delay caused here by the Thanksgiving holiday.

So the "Mappings" Files we offered were basically just snapshots of the Presets already available in MixControl to try and simplify things down.

If you want to use these just open MixControl and go to the button that says "Routing Preset..."

Choose "Ultra Low Latency" or "Zero Latency Tracking" if you want the Hardware Monitoring in the device itself. That would cause the doubling if you have Monitoring in Auria as well.

Choose "DAW Tracking" if you want all Monitoring through Auria. This would cause you to not hear inputs in the device if you didn't have a program open.

You can tell which one you are on as anything "Low Latency" would show Mix > Outputs and "DAW Tracking" you will see DAW > Outputs.

Then just hit Save to Hardware.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

If you are in need of faster response from Focusrite please feel welcome to contact us directly: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.

Janushka

Post by Janushka » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Hello Katherine from Focusrite,

Tadaaaa, you helped me out of trouble. MANY thanks :-)

So it was not such difficult , only people like me needed this info .

Thanks a lot . Now i make music instead of hocuspocus ! ha ha .

Jan (Holland )