Some nice convolution reverb impulse files...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Phil999
Expert

Re: Some nice convolution reverb impulse files...

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:49 am

I thought the L and R IR's were mono, and was wondering why the M-to-S IR had the same file size. I checked them in an audio editor, and L, R, and M-to-S IR's appear to be all stereo files.

But the question remains, which one should we choose for a stereo channel in Auria? And why are the Bricasti L and R IR's stereo? For true stereo operation? (Which is probably not possible in Auria)

Does it even matter which file we use if all are stereo? Could be useful to know, because we then can reduce the size of the Bricasti IR folder inside Auria.

Spud
Expert

Post by Spud » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:46 am

The m-s impulse is a stereo impulse recorded from an impulse generated from the middle of the room, while the L and R true stereo impulses each are stereo impulses recorded from sounds generated from the left and right sides of the room respectively. Those true stereo impulses are for use in an Conv reverb that supports that true stereo mode of operation. So you can't really use them in Auria as they are intended to be used.

I would just use the m-s file, it will be in stereo, but won't be 'true stereo'

(I hope that made sense....)

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:37 am

like it was discussed earlier in this thread, I believe the M-to-S IR's are mono-to-stereo, not mid-side. The latter is usually named m/s. Although I must admit, a mono-to-stereo IR file doesn't make sense.

Well I'll just experiment and use those files that sound best. The technical/intellectual/logical approach leads nowhere.

Spud
Expert

Post by Spud » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:40 pm

M-s does mean mono to stereo in this case, no one is doubting that. As I understand it, it refers to the stereo impulse being generated from a single(mono) point source impulse in the middle of the room. The recording of the reverb generated by that impulse though is of course stereo to generate a realistic recreation of that 3d space.

It differs from 'true stereo' in that you can never recreate a true representation of the room's reverb from anywhere other than centre. Panned sounds that have reverb applied will still have the reverb applied as though they were in the middle of the room. Whether that matters in the music is up to your ears ;-)