Newbie Need Words of Encouragement.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Gnome

Newbie Need Words of Encouragement.

Post by Gnome » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Ok I'm getting ready to join the party, I've been recording with GarageBand on the iPad and I need to upgrade to get better sound, especially on my vocals. I'm hoping the learning curve is not too bad because...that's why I've been holding back from getting it. I'll be using my Apogee MiC and Jam until I upgrade those too...

My stuff done with GarageBand on the iPad.

https://soundcloud.com/west-coast-gnome

martygras
Expert

Re: Newbie Need Words of Encouragement.

Post by martygras » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

The learning curve for Auria is actually very straightforward. Especially if you already know a DAW like GarageBand.
Auria works well with GB too if you want to transfer tracks to Auria for processing etc.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:26 pm

You can do it! (How was that?)

Auria will offer you much better tools for vocal processing after the fact. Still, the most important thing you can do is make sure you're capturing the vocal sound you want. All of that stuff is before the recorder. Some stuff is free and just requires reading and experimentation: distance from the mic, home made pop filters, recorded level, place in the room, physical technique... Then it's the mic. Then it's the preamp. Then it's the post processing and, really critically, the mixing of the other instruments to either make room for or blend with your vocal recording, depending on what you want.

Also, did I mention, you can do it!

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:03 pm

:D thanks ! I'm probably going to get the LE Version.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi if you are looking to upgrade from GarageBand I would recommend just going for the Full version you get so much more
When you get into Auria and what it does its so addictive and easy to use

With the full version you can record using 48 & 96 hz also 96 being best Qaulity

Not a 100% sure but you get the convulsion reverb with the full version and not the Le version

17 quid will make all the difference 8)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Auria has a "convolution" reverb. Everyone else has a "convulsion" reverb. :mrgreen:

Get it? oh what a knee slapper.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Ericd921
Expert

Post by Ericd921 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:25 pm

If I may add some extra encouragement...I agree with Jus...if you're going to do Auria, you should go full tilt. The plugins and sound options are definitely worth the extra coin. It doesn't take long to get a feel for the app, and once you get comfortable, you'll be addicted! I'm getting 18 tracks going in simultaneously...Auria is the real deal. IMHO, nothing else even comes close to it in the iOS realm, and although Garageband is great at what it does, Auria makes it seem like a toy. Do yourself a favor and get Auria full version...I promise you won't regret it!!! :mrgreen:
Eric