Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

boone51
Expert

Re: Auria introduces Inter-app Audio support!

Post by boone51 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks, Rim. I get it now. Very helpful. I'm really excited to play around with it in Auria. Thanks for being so prompt about getting it integrated. Another great example of one of the reasons why everyone loves Auria so much.

Stewartludwig
Expert

Post by Stewartludwig » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi Rim,

I was just searching the net for any info regarding IAA ( inter-app audio) and its limitation/ resolutions etc and a link brought me back to this conversation. Of course Apple is hiding this information from us mere users as usual and I could find basically nothing about it detail wise. So, as a developer do you have any information regarding bit depth 16.24.32 and frequencies 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 KHz etc? I am specifically looking to see if it will work at 44.1 / 48 KHz and 24 bit or just the old standard of 44.1/ 16 bit like audio bus and Sanoma already do etc.

Or rather riddle me this, what will happen when I'm working in an Auria project at 48KHz/ 24 bit what will happen when using an IAA supported app when recording into Auria?

P.S I have not loaded IOS 7 yet out of fear and the truly awful colourful kiddy look of the new UI. But if there is an advantage audio wise then thats a reason.

Cheers,
Stewart

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:20 pm

IAA supports all sample rates and bit depths available in iOS (up to 32 bits and 96K), but it's up to each app whether they support these. Most probably support 32 bit float and 44100, but it's impossible to know. Auria supports 32 bit and all the sample rates.

Rim

Stewartludwig
Expert

Post by Stewartludwig » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:58 am

Thanks Rim.

In the film world I can pull up a 32 float frame and check a histogram that will show if there really is 32 bits worth of recorded float color space. I can visually see and verify if the image just contains for example 8 or 16 bits of color space inside a 32 float file format or if its using all of the 32 float color space available. Is there anyway to do the same and verify the bit depth and frequencies actually recorded and not just the file format ( wrapper) itself of an IOS audio file ?

IAA sounds pretty darn good and I just hope that other audio apps start acting on this much higher capability and quality as your Auria always does. Darn, I'm gonna have to get that ugly IOS 7 now. Also sounds like AMLITUBE AND OVERLOUD can now be recorded at 24/96 KHz with IAA but Audiobus and Samona just won't cut it anymore At 16 bit 44.1 KHz

Cheers,
Stewart

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:01 am

Yes, you can certainly do that type of testing by mixing down a track, exporting it, then testing in another program if you wish.

Rim

Stewartludwig
Expert

Post by Stewartludwig » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Rim,
Any suggestions as to how I can do this as just opening the file in another program will not do it?

A histogram will in essence show the whole 32 number string (bits) that make up a 32 bit file but if only 16 bits were used out of 32 it would show the first 16 numbers( bits) used followed by 16 zeros representing empty space if it was only a 16 bit sample saved as a 32 bit file. I use sound forge for some sample manipulations but I am not aware of what selection to use to show the bits actually used inside of a supposed 32 bit file. Is there anything in particular I can select to use in audio comparable to the histogram used for image files?

I really hope other IOS audio apps start taking advantage of this higher quality being offered by inter-app audio as you have many years before.
Now I guess I have to install that damn UGLY IOS 7.

Sincerely,
Stewart

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:29 pm

I've never really done this, perhaps someone else has and can shed some light? I only know how to do these kinds of tests in code ;)

Rim

BrandMo

Post by BrandMo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Hello, I've done some searching around regarding this topic and was wondering if anyone can tell me why iMPC pro doesn't work with Auria.

I just watched a video regarding iMPC's behaviour for inter-app and they demo it working with garage band and claim it works with cubasis. I love Auria but the one downside was I haven't been able to sequence my beats fluidly directly into an armed track on Auria. Does anyone know if I can do this? It seems both iMPC and Auria support inter app audio, but not each other?

I know Auria Pro is on the way, so if you want to answer related to the new functionality in there, by all means please do.

Fitz
Expert

Post by Fitz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Works fine for me. Air 2, all latest updates.

BrandMo

Post by BrandMo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks Fitz, I'll try fool around with it a little more.